Coffee Options in Charlotte

paholler

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a Caribou in the Wachovia atrium and a little coffee shop next to the visitor's center (decent stuff, but only to-go). The Bechtler cafe has coffee that's good, but kinda pricey.

edit: It's worth mentioning that I just had this exact same conversation with an acquaintance visiting from Tennessee. I had forgotten about the Bechtler as a coffee option at the time, but I recommended he go down N Davidson to Amelie's.

What's the deal with coffee shops in Uptown? Specifically, there are none. Excluding whatever may or may not exist in the hamster tube world, down on the streets where normal people walk I count the following:

• Starbucks (Tryon St at the Square)
  • Starbucks (Trade St Gateway Village)
  • Dunkin' Donuts (Graham & 6th)
  • Dean & Deluca (Tryon & 4th)

forgot to mention Therapy and Tic-Toc, which are probably the closest things to local uptown coffee shops we have. i liked PJ's though because they were ALWAYS open.

I noticed last night that the Dunkin at Graham and 6th has been closed with a sign about failure to pay taxes. The outdoor furniture is gone and it looks like the inside is stripped pretty bare.

On a related note, has anyone tried Crave as a coffeehouse?

These perhaps qualify as "rat tube", but there is a shop just up the escalator from Fujo, and also a shop in the ground floor of the (Wachovia?) building across from 400 South Tryon. Neither one has a street face, obviously. And neither one really has any atmosphere -- just to-go.

And isn't there Dunkin Donuts next to Jersey Mike's about a half-block south of the square on Tryon? Not that I consider DD a coffee shop, but others have mentioned it.

If I can't access a business like a coffee shot from the street, then I'm not going there. Perhaps this is just further proof as to why Overstreet has a stranglehold on Charlotte getting legitimate retail activity uptown.

I didn't realize the Dunkin on Graham had closed. That's a shame.

I view DD in the same vein as Brueggers. It's not coffee-centric, but you can get it there.

I never think about Tic-Toc, but that would be a good option.

I thought Therapy was a bar of some sort?

Walking the dog this morning, it has been both comical and sad to see how many people have had their Sunday morning routine ruined by the closure of Dunkin' at Graham and 6th!

On a related note, I can state that the Harris Teeter a block away has been doing a brisk business on their Krispy Kreme donut offerings as I've seen a few people come out with the dozen sized boxes.

If I were Krispy Kreme I'd grab the Dunkin space asap if it's now available. They would make a killing.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the sign in their front door, the Dunkin' at 6th and Graham is reopening. (It reads along the lines of not being closed for good and reopening soon with a better experience).

No date listed, but as it is a glossy poster versus a handwritten sign I would tend to believe that it will be soon.

Archived