NASCAR Entering the Minneapolis - St. Paul market?

Minneapolitan

International Motorsports Entertainment and Development Corporation recently announced its plans to enter the Minneapolis - St. Paul market by developing a "state-of-the-art" Motorsports complex. According to the article, the $200 million track will be suitable for NASCAR, ASA, ARCA and IRL racing as well as a one-quarter mile NHRA style drag strip.

http://www.intmotorsport.com/index.php?opt...6&Itemid=28

I don't care for NASCAR or any racing for that matter, but I know this would be huge for the MPLS. - STPL. area.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that they were talks about building a track north of Seattle in Snohimish county in efforts to attract NASCAR. Forgive for my lack of knowledge, but if they were to have races in Minneapolis & Seattle if these tracks came to fruition would they add races or would they have to move a current race?

I know that they were talks about building a track north of Seattle in Snohimish county in efforts to attract NASCAR. Forgive for my lack of knowledge, but if they were to have races in Minneapolis & Seattle if these tracks came to fruition would they add races or would they have to move a current race?

Pocono is quite unique with the three "corners" but there have been a lot of complaints about the quality of racing their lately. I am all for them pulling a race a year from certain tracks but not for the sake of adding a track that has three or four versions of it already in other cities. There are plenty of 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 mile tracks out there already, adding more just for the sake of being in a new market doesn't seem right.

I think that the new track in Minneapolis will be like the tracks in St. Louis, Nashville, and Kentucky in that they will get Nascar Busch and Truck series races but not the premier series, Nextel Cup.

However if the track near Seattle is built, I think they will definitely get a Nextel Cup race for two main reasons. First, it is being developed by International Speedway Corp. which is controlled by the France family who also run Nascar. Also, almost half of the funding for the track is coming from the public via a sales tax, so there will probably be assurances in place should the public funding be passed.

The race date would likely come from Pocono as others have said or Darlington who has already lost one race.

There are two prospective sites for the Seattle area track. One is across Puget Sound from Seattle next to Bremerton airport. It is a ferry trip from Seattle and not the easiest site to access, but is the prefered location by the NASCAR folks. The other location is near Centralia, WA, about halfway between Seattle and Portland not to far from I-5, an easy spot to get to, with plenty of availible land and political support. Washington's Queen prefers this location. Also the Centralia location is more popular among locals. For one, they need the boost in the economy, and two, it is racing country. Kasey Kahne and Greg Biffle are both from SW Washington.

My relatives in NY were the ones the originally got me interested in NASCAR. Pocono and Watkins Glen are both popular tracks among New Yorkers. There is a lot of racing and race fans in the tri-state area, it is just some elitist, ignorant folks with their heads up their you know what don't realize it.

My only problem with New York is, there doesn't seem to be that many racing fans in the Tri-State area. There's hardly any tracks within 100 miles. There's the major stigma that it's just for rednecks and people in NY are too sophisticated for it. And whoever does like NASCAR is "in the closet" about it.

Aware. Even though that Staten Island track will never happen.

My only problem with New York is, there doesn't seem to be that many racing fans in the Tri-State area. There's hardly any tracks within 100 miles. There's the major stigma that it's just for rednecks and people in NY are too sophisticated for it. And whoever does like NASCAR is "in the closet" about it.

Then again, there is Pocono, Dover, and Loudon all within 6 hours of New York, if anyone around there is really desperate to see it.

From the sounds of it, NASCAR wanted to enter those markets. It looks like Seattle & New York passed on NASCAR, but Im not sure if NASCAR is trying to expand to the Twin Cities, or if the Twin cities are trying to attract NASCAR.

From the sounds of it, NASCAR wanted to enter those markets. It looks like Seattle & New York passed on NASCAR, but Im not sure if NASCAR is trying to expand to the Twin Cities, or if the Twin cities are trying to attract NASCAR.

Archived