Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bneidlinger

Miller and Canfield building update

27 posts in this topic

Here are some shaky night pics from Kalamazoo last night....The MCPS building is 2 levels above the street now. It should be the last level of parking and soon the office floors will start.

431630719_47f4d93ce2_b.jpg

Yes, they were working at 9:00pm still.

431630709_973d1ca28c_b.jpg

And this a pic I grabbed of the side of the new Rave development along Farmer's Alley. (sorry for the blur...I'll have to go in daylight or get a $1000 camera for next time.)

431630723_944f6e69c9_b.jpg

Yeah, it has been topped out for almost two weeks now. In fact, it looks like the facade will be going on very soon.

A couple photos I took from the car while passing through downtown on Memorial Day. Looks like the steel is about done and they're preparing to start facade work.

519981054_b19f220b06_b.jpg

519981026_ccb9bab6e7_b.jpg

519981002_894bb6e7af_b.jpg

With the first two floors parking, how will the lobby work into all of this? Where will the entrances for the parking be, and then for the people not entering in through the garage?

With the first two floors parking, how will the lobby work into all of this? Where will the entrances for the parking be, and then for the people not entering in through the garage?

Thanks for the pictures, I saw that building this weekend when I was in Kalamazoo for Art Hop. What is Miller and Canfield? Is that a law firm?

Yes, Miller-Canfield is a major (one of the nation's largest) and historic (circa 1852) Detroit-based law firm.

Yes, Miller-Canfield is a major (one of the nation's largest) and historic (circa 1852) Detroit-based law firm.

Yes, although there is no retail, there is plenty nearby. Right next door is an eye doctor, a cigar shop, a Blimpie, and Gazelle Sports

That actually makes it worse that it didn't include groundfloor retail, then, not better.

I agree, it kind of wastes a valuable opportunity to create connectivity between Bronson Park and the Kalamazoo Mall.

I agree, it kind of wastes a valuable opportunity to create connectivity between Bronson Park and the Kalamazoo Mall.

I'll get some pics by the end of the week. Basically, the outside is 95% finished. It is mostly brick and blends in well with the old YWCA next door but also includes that central glass column with a UFO on top for a little modernity.

Alright, here are a few I took today.

From the corner of Burdick and South

2038702886_e389a34712_o.jpg

From the Rose and South Street intersection

2037902355_737a63eb19_o.jpg

2038699978_1f08139462_o.jpg

2037903479_cf4545bcf1_o.jpg

The renovated Greenleaf building is on the left

2038701024_13db22dca9_o.jpg

From the alley...the rear of the Greenleaf building as well

2038702274_cd5c2eba02_o.jpg

Wow, those are some great shots! It looks like they're almost done on the outside of the building. Thanks for the update!

Thanks, I'll try to get some again around December/January when the building is slated for full completion.

As of Feb. 02, 2008

2271193962_42bf1d072e_b.jpg

2270402003_63a01cf25b_b.jpg

2270401745_b6d345b3ca_b.jpg

2271193886_9d6bd7b004_b.jpg

It's a nice building though I would like to reiterate the disappointment at the lack of ground floor retail. Oh well, to look on the brighter side of things, I guess that just means more market share for Burdick.

Thanks Tracer! I really love how this building looks, but I agree it is a real shame they got away with building this without street level retail. Not only would it make a great continuation of the neighboring retail, but it would have meant the building would be another story higher to keep the same amount of office space.

Nice pictures!

Yes, I agree it is a disappointment that they did not do anything with the ground floor. It will sort of a dead strip. Even offices or something would have made it better than just closed of space. I'm not sure how much more new retail space downtown needs at the moment though, with a lot vacant in the new theater building, and many empty/underutilized lots to build on.

I still think it's a shame a more creative adaptive re-use of the old Park Building could not have been done, like with the whistle stop, but they did use very nice materials, which is nice to see today. It's slightly above the suburban status quo office designs, and for better or worse, new buildings in this style can help attract even more interest in downtown.

Nice pictures!

Yes, I agree it is a disappointment that they did not do anything with the ground floor. It will sort of a dead strip. Even offices or something would have made it better than just closed of space. I'm not sure how much more new retail space downtown needs at the moment though, with a lot vacant in the new theater building, and many empty/underutilized lots to build on.

I still think it's a shame a more creative adaptive re-use of the old Park Building could not have been done, like with the whistle stop, but they did use very nice materials, which is nice to see today. It's slightly above the suburban status quo office designs, and for better or worse, new buildings in this style can help attract even more interest in downtown.

I don't know much about Kalamazoo, but it seemed that the Kalamazoo mall was pretty filled with retail. I walked from the mall over to Bronson Park last summer while an art fair was going on. We passed the construction site and I remember seeing several stores right next to this building, including a nice cigar shop. It seems like a good spot for retail because it connects the mall to the park. I agree that they could have at least made it office space there with the possibility to make it into retail in the future if demand is there.

Was the Park Building the structure that used to be on this site? What did it look like?