Miller and Canfield building update

bneidlinger

Here are some shaky night pics from Kalamazoo last night....The MCPS building is 2 levels above the street now. It should be the last level of parking and soon the office floors will start.

431630719_47f4d93ce2_b.jpg

Yes, they were working at 9:00pm still.

431630709_973d1ca28c_b.jpg

And this a pic I grabbed of the side of the new Rave development along Farmer's Alley. (sorry for the blur...I'll have to go in daylight or get a $1000 camera for next time.)

431630723_944f6e69c9_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Tracer! I really love how this building looks, but I agree it is a real shame they got away with building this without street level retail. Not only would it make a great continuation of the neighboring retail, but it would have meant the building would be another story higher to keep the same amount of office space.

Nice pictures!

Yes, I agree it is a disappointment that they did not do anything with the ground floor. It will sort of a dead strip. Even offices or something would have made it better than just closed of space. I'm not sure how much more new retail space downtown needs at the moment though, with a lot vacant in the new theater building, and many empty/underutilized lots to build on.

I still think it's a shame a more creative adaptive re-use of the old Park Building could not have been done, like with the whistle stop, but they did use very nice materials, which is nice to see today. It's slightly above the suburban status quo office designs, and for better or worse, new buildings in this style can help attract even more interest in downtown.

Nice pictures!

Yes, I agree it is a disappointment that they did not do anything with the ground floor. It will sort of a dead strip. Even offices or something would have made it better than just closed of space. I'm not sure how much more new retail space downtown needs at the moment though, with a lot vacant in the new theater building, and many empty/underutilized lots to build on.

I still think it's a shame a more creative adaptive re-use of the old Park Building could not have been done, like with the whistle stop, but they did use very nice materials, which is nice to see today. It's slightly above the suburban status quo office designs, and for better or worse, new buildings in this style can help attract even more interest in downtown.

I don't know much about Kalamazoo, but it seemed that the Kalamazoo mall was pretty filled with retail. I walked from the mall over to Bronson Park last summer while an art fair was going on. We passed the construction site and I remember seeing several stores right next to this building, including a nice cigar shop. It seems like a good spot for retail because it connects the mall to the park. I agree that they could have at least made it office space there with the possibility to make it into retail in the future if demand is there.

Was the Park Building the structure that used to be on this site? What did it look like?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived