100+ People Arrested at downtown Club for underage drinking

ctman987

Ok so heres the story which came from the March 23rd issue of the Hartford Courant...

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-juice...-headlines-home

Basically more then 100 teens were arrested at the fairly new Tempations nightclub on Asylum Street between Main & Trumbull for underage drinking and loitering during an 18 to party, 21 to drink Thursday night celebration.

I read the story at first and was a little shocked. Obviously underage drinking is a problem but major crimes such as murders, rapes, assaults, vandalism, etc I also feel are important and I couldnt help but ask myself why the money and time spent arresting and processing these kids wasnt spent keeping some of the city's worst neighborhoods safe.

I entered into the discussion section on the article and an intense discussion is underway well basically because many suburban kids were arrested at a club in the city. Many claim they were not drinking but were still arrested. We will probably never really know what went on last night but as a college student in NYC students who go out to bars and clubs go out to drink, if they dont want to drink theyll do something else, not go to a bar or club. That is not the issue I have though. After reading through these posts I am getting horrible images of how this raid at Tempations occured. There are claims that these people were arrested, left on the streets, piled in jail cells, cursed at, etc. Quite honestly I have seen the NYPD conduct raids in a city of 8,000,000 in an ordely fashion. How come it seems that it was such a mess last night.

If it truly was such as mess last night this will not be good news as publicitly will grow and lawsuits may arise.

I also truly urge everyone to scroll to the bottom of the article and read the growing number of comments (97 so far as I write this) and possibly reply yourself. Try to find the stories from individuals arrested last night to...there on there in the comments

So here are some questions maybe to discuss...

Should there be 18 to party, 21 to drink nights?

What are your views on how the "raid" was handled?

Should the HPD be focusing on real crimes as opposed to underage drinking?

Who's to blame? The club? The people arrested? The city? The State? Everyone?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a freshmen in college, 18 years old, I had a friend who went to Johnson and Wales in Providence. There were many bars in the city that had 18 to get in, 21 to drink entrance. It was so easy to get in and get beer. Most kids who went to schools in Providence all went to these bars, half the people in the bar were under age and drinking.

IMO the drinking age should be 18, 95% of kids drink anyways, making it legal may solve some problems and put police resources in area's of greater need.

I don't mind this type of policing as long as it's not a major focus of the department.. An ocassional crack down, to keep things from getting out of control is a smart way to do it. Show up make your presence felt, arrest those breaking the law, it is a proactive way to police before there is trouble.

When I was a freshmen in college, 18 years old, I had a friend who went to Johnson and Wales in Providence. There were many bars in the city that had 18 to get in, 21 to drink entrance. It was so easy to get in and get beer. Most kids who went to schools in Providence all went to these bars, half the people in the bar were under age and drinking.

IMO the drinking age should be 18, 95% of kids drink anyways, making it legal may solve some problems and put police resources in area's of greater need.

I used to drink at bars when I was 16 in Providence, a city known for the ease of underage drinking. I agree with lowering the drinking age to 18. Is it coincidence that underage drinking is such a "problem" in the U.S., and its not in European countries where there is no drinking age for the most part?

I think they should band drinking out of here of this state of Connecticut because people look like their possessed when their drunk and they can't remember the next day to what they do and how sad is that! And there brain cells can't not make more cells and their letting the alcohol eating up the brain cells .

So I for one believed they should band drinking and we would not have problems like fighting out in the street or see crazy people screaming at you or crying for no reasons and no more brains that could led to go dumb or even seeing people having car crash or get them self kill and that is dangerous to the public because people can get hit by a car or even when a man is drunk driving crazy and sometime this happen to a husband beat and her wife up or get divorces and the child also will get abuse by it to but a child with out a dad would put the child in the street and the little child would remember and copy what his daddy did to his mama, so y

I think they should band drinking out of here of this state of Connecticut because people look like their possessed when their drunk and they can't remember the next day to what they do and how sad is that! And there brain cells can't not make more cells and their letting the alcohol eating up the brain cells .

So I for one believed they should band drinking and we would not have problems like fighting out in the street or see crazy people screaming at you or crying for no reasons and no more brains that could led to go dumb or even seeing people having car crash or get them self kill and that is dangerous to the public because people can get hit by a car or even when a man is drunk driving crazy and sometime this happen to a husband beat and her wife up or get divorces and the child also will get abuse by it to but a child with out a dad would put the child in the street and the little child would remember and copy what his daddy did to his mama, so y

Alcohol bans are not the way to go. Banning alcohol only makes it more sought after by those who are forbidden to have it. It's ridiculous to assume that kids aren't drinking on college campuses the world over. The answer lies in educating the young about the dangers of alcohol.

Banning things doesn't solve anything. That's what the Taliban did in Afgahnastan (sp?) and that went NOWHERE. It's a personal moral decision on how one acts and controls themself. It comes from the heart.

FYI: Jesus drank, and it wasn't grape juice or the religious people of the day wouldn't have called him a drunkard. In his own words he said "John the baptist came neither eating or drinking and you say he has a demon - but the Son of Man comes eating and drinking and you call him a glutten and a drunkard"

The Bible is specific. A drink is okay, consistent drunkeness is not.

Some history for you. The reason your church services starts at 10-11am is from the reformation that Martin Luther had a part in...a good thing. Well in German culture beer drinking beer isn't blinked at and Martin used to wake up with hangovers so that's why he changed service times to 11am. No lie, do the research you'll see.

Just trying to broaden your horizens a bit. :thumbsup:

I'm assuming our Christian friend here is Hispanic, what specific nationality uncertain, and English is the second language.

As for the drinking thing, it wouldn't be half as bad if parents in this state had their kids get jobs instead of be spoiled, sit around, and do drink/drugs. Also, if alcohol wasn't such a taboo and was taught properly like over in Europe, this wouldn't be half as much of a problem. Our current society makes the problems the way they are.

And also, ban the 18 to party, 21 to drink things. It should be 21 and up or nothing. Besides, everyone has fake IDs nowadays anyway.

I'm assuming our Christian friend here is Hispanic, what specific nationality uncertain, and English is the second language.

As for the drinking thing, it wouldn't be half as bad if parents in this state had their kids get jobs instead of be spoiled, sit around, and do drink/drugs. Also, if alcohol wasn't such a taboo and was taught properly like over in Europe, this wouldn't be half as much of a problem. Our current society makes the problems the way they are.

And also, ban the 18 to party, 21 to drink things. It should be 21 and up or nothing. Besides, everyone has fake IDs nowadays anyway.

Do you know anything about the wine in the Middle East because people do not know what there talking about because there wine is different in the middle east about around 2,000 years ago another questions is that where in bible you see Jesus drunk. I also got to add this one. Jesus changed water into wine. It even seems that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation efforts, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. .

The kind of wine that they had was with black raped grape was not near close to those Italian, French modern wine or any other because what you just read and that most people and even small kids had to drink wine because there water was close to as bad you get in Mexico or in a 3rd world country.

So you hardly dont see many people drunk in the bible because the word of God would be mess up if the author of prophets or the apostle that wrote the word of God would be mix all up so you think you honestly think that I dont know what I am talking about .. Talk to a Theologian people.

But again they did have real wine in those days too in some case because some of the wine had Alcohol but not as much Alcohol as we do today.

You lot really need to visit Europe ...

and I think I probably should move there.

Ban alcohol? Really? Not to be a broken record (thank you to those who have already lambasted this view) but have we still not figured out that banning something worsen its use and the consequences of its use? The best thing to do would be to relax drinking (and drug laws) not to toughen them. 18 year-olds should be able to drink, plan and simple. This raid was an utter waste of resources. Meanwhile, gunmen held up an entire bar (full of patronso of legal drinking age) in Parkville. All of the cops who raided Tempatation should have been walking beats to keep patrons (including 18-20 year olds) safe.

We are really irrational. The home of the brave, maybe, but the land of the free? Horse (which you can't eat in America, btw) sh**.

You lot really need to visit Europe ...

and I think I probably should move there.

Ban alcohol? Really? Not to be a broken record (thank you to those who have already lambasted this view) but have we still not figured out that banning something worsen its use and the consequences of its use? The best thing to do would be to relax drinking (and drug laws) not to toughen them. 18 year-olds should be able to drink, plan and simple. This raid was an utter waste of resources. Meanwhile, gunmen held up an entire bar (full of patronso of legal drinking age) in Parkville. All of the cops who raided Tempatation should have been walking beats to keep patrons (including 18-20 year olds) safe.

We are really irrational. The home of the brave, maybe, but the land of the free? Horse (which you can't eat in America, btw) sh**.

That's sort of a stupid thing to say. First of all, it's not a threat--as if you'd really care if I left. Second of all, I'd rather fix the problem here. But that requires admitting we have one, which Americans are practically incapable of doing.

It's just getting a touch frustrating when you look at how Europeans approach life and land. Our Congress recently banned the slaughter of horse meat for human consumption. Literally, members of Congress stood on the floor of the House chamber and blasted barbaric Europeans for eating horse. The irony is too much to stomach given our massive and inhumane slaughterhouses. The Europeans have far more respect for animal life than we do, yet we're good God-fearing Americans and, thus, we don't eat horse! We can do no wrong.

We need a wake up call. I suggest reading this essay. It's a touch long-winded, but it makes the point beautifully: http://www.kunstler.com/mags_lumpenleisure.html.

So if you'd like to stick your head in the sand and tell anybody who--because he loves it that much--complains about America to get out, great. That's called the Bush administration and it's really made the world a lot nicer, don't you think?

I'm not sticking my head in the sand...far from it. I actually said I agree with you to some extent. I'm sick of hearing people talk about how they would prefer to move to europe...as you started to allude in your post....anyone who would rather be there, go ahead and go, if you want to fix the problems, stay here and fix...If you want to fix the problems here, then isn't it stupid for you to say, "I should probably move there"?

Again, we probably agree on most things, I thought that your comment was "stupid".

Archived