New River Festival

detwaa84

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read this: it's from the "recent comments" under the article.

"Once again, the city of Detroit has nothing to do with organizing and event to boost the city image. Those nasty racist suburbanites are throwing a party in our city and we don't have nothing to do with it!" - from Watch and Learn

He/she is either one of our city councils or someone who'd qualify and oddly enough, he's from Clinton Township.

Read this: it's from the "recent comments" under the article.

"Once again, the city of Detroit has nothing to do with organizing and event to boost the city image. Those nasty racist suburbanites are throwing a party in our city and we don't have nothing to do with it!" - from Watch and Learn

He/she is either one of our city councils or someone who'd qualify and oddly enough, he's from Clinton Township.

Whether we like it or not, those racist suburbnites are the ones running the city of Detroit now, not the mayor or the city council. What GM says goes, what Penske says happens. Kilpatrick is just their spokesperson. That's the only way a city like Detroit can revive.

Imagine Coleman Young in power now, and tell me if you'd see Penske heading Downtown Detroit, or GM spearheading Riverfront developement. The only thing Kilpatrick did right for Detroiters and his racist city council members was not give control of neighborhood revitilization to a white suburban business man, and instead to a black suburban business man. After all these came to mind, I'd like to see what JoAnn Watson thinks of this parade and whos running it.

This city will only revive when the wealthier blacks and whites who now live in West Bloomfield and Farmington Hills together move back and take it away from these city councilors who don't want anybody but low-income residents that in no way help the city financially. In addition to that, low-income homes are going to make their way into the riverfront and downtown. This council will not rest until they push extremely hard to make that happen. In other word's, they want to scare/keep away the middle and upper class so they can keep their city primarily African American and without diversity, and more importantly, so they can keep their jobs.

My personal opinion - it's not the suburban leaders who are the racists, it's the Detroit ones for bringing up race everytime a white businessman or developer invests in this city and attempts to turn it around for nobody else, but Detroiters. :)

I understand the frustration behind your post, but perhaps the remedy is as easy as current council members being phased out. (We can only HOPE they don't last as long as Mahaffey)! The people who respond on the freep comment boards are an extremity. They are people who do not represent the whole, but rather are taking advantage of the online message boards to release true feelings they have that cannot be released verbally in public. That's all it is: closeted people too frustrated for their own good who are only trying to get a rile out of people who read their comments.

Racists are on both sides of the border. Suburbanites are Detroiters and Detroiters are suburbanites. Next time, ask Joann Watson where the people she represents shop for basic goods. THAT's what makes them suburbanites. Ask L. BROOKS where his people watch their Thanksgiving Day Parade. THAT's what makes them Detroiters. So what if there's an imaginary line at 8 Mile. Haven't we played make believe with it long enough? Tea anyone?

• 4 weeks later...
Whether we like it or not, those racist suburbnites are the ones running the city of Detroit now, not the mayor or the city council. What GM says goes, what Penske says happens. Kilpatrick is just their spokesperson. That's the only way a city like Detroit can revive.

Imagine Coleman Young in power now, and tell me if you'd see Penske heading Downtown Detroit, or GM spearheading Riverfront developement. The only thing Kilpatrick did right for Detroiters and his racist city council members was not give control of neighborhood revitilization to a white suburban business man, and instead to a black suburban business man. After all these came to mind, I'd like to see what JoAnn Watson thinks of this parade and whos running it.

This city will only revive when the wealthier blacks and whites who now live in West Bloomfield and Farmington Hills together move back and take it away from these city councilors who don't want anybody but low-income residents that in no way help the city financially. In addition to that, low-income homes are going to make their way into the riverfront and downtown. This council will not rest until they push extremely hard to make that happen. In other word's, they want to scare/keep away the middle and upper class so they can keep their city primarily African American and without diversity, and more importantly, so they can keep their jobs.

My personal opinion - it's not the suburban leaders who are the racists, it's the Detroit ones for bringing up race everytime a white businessman or developer invests in this city and attempts to turn it around for nobody else, but Detroiters. :)

I couldn't agree more, where i live in West Bloomfield , not many people like to go to detroit. The people running detroit want to keep their jobs, so they scare away the people of the wealthy suburbs, because they know we would never vote for them, the racists. ANYWAY, this riverfest should be great!!=)

This has been the problem with Detroit for decades now. The City doesn't like people from the Suburbs, and the people living in the suburbs wouldn't go near the city. Somehow every other city has broken this barrier but it's 'sarcastic' remarks like that build this barrier up. :huh:

Archived