Tram Road clearing

Dolphinsfan

Does anyone have any idea what is being built off of Tram Road just across from the Four Oaks Blvd. entry into Southwood? One morning about 2 weeks ago I saw tractor tire treads plowing up a ravine and into the woods and two days later, lo and behold, there's practically a new intersection! The woods behind it have been cleared completely. I'm guessing the Southwood Boat and RV Storage lot is right next to the clearing, so is this another St. Joe project? I didn't see any signs to speak of. Wow, the southside is really chagning faster than I can keep up!

And it looks like the Walmart on Appalachee is ramping up for a major overhaul as well. My husband tells me that whole sections of the store are torn up and temporary shelves are being put up to carry all the moved merchandise. Isn't this Walmart relatively new? I've only lived here 3 years so I don't know for sure. :dontknow::dontknow:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can only hope they do something to improve the Wal-Mart on the parkway. That is one of the worst I have ever been to except for the one on Tennessee st and the one in Quincy. The parkway Wally World is always out of things. On the Tram Rd thing I dont know anything about it. I have not been out that way in awhile.

Does anyone have any idea what is being built off of Tram Road just across from the Four Oaks Blvd. entry into Southwood? One morning about 2 weeks ago I saw tractor tire treads plowing up a ravine and into the woods and two days later, lo and behold, there's practically a new intersection! The woods behind it have been cleared completely. I'm guessing the Southwood Boat and RV Storage lot is right next to the clearing, so is this another St. Joe project? I didn't see any signs to speak of. Wow, the southside is really chagning faster than I can keep up!

And it looks like the Walmart on Appalachee is ramping up for a major overhaul as well. My husband tells me that whole sections of the store are torn up and temporary shelves are being put up to carry all the moved merchandise. Isn't this Walmart relatively new? I've only lived here 3 years so I don't know for sure. :dontknow::dontknow:

Yes the Walmart on the Parkway is one of many Walmarts new "upscale" look. I saw a segment on the news recently that walmart is renovating tons of their stores to lure more "upscale" shoppers.

See story here:

Walmart Spiffs uo

Local News said we were one of the news stores getting the change, although I don't remember which news channel it was.

Thanks for sharing that news piece on Wal-Mart mracca. I looked at the whole slide show there, and the image differences between the old and the new are subtle. In some cases I prefer the look of the old (or current) over the new. I'm not sure what they seek to accomplish with wood and/or brown flooring throughout these stores. Further, I don't think it will make much of a difference how different everything LOOKS if they continue to sell many of the same non-durable products.

This is sure is a mystery project. Florida Developers, Inc. appears to be the construction contractor - I guess? What makes me nervous is that the City of Tallahassee has plans of building a wastewater treatment center near Southwood which would provide irrigation to the Capital Circle Office Complex and the golf course in Southwood. Could this be the Tram Road Reuse Facility - certainly hope not. :shok:

According to the property deed & recent permits issued for this parcel that is exactly what is going on. The City has a 4 acre parcel they bought from St Joe to construct a Water Reuse Facility which will serve SouthWood. If it is not built before 12/31/07 the property reverts back to St Joe per a clause in the deed. I am told that this is where the City takes treated water (which they call gray water) and pumps it back to SouthWood for irrigation of the golf course & all the common areas throughout SouthWood & the Capital Circle Office Complex.

• 1 month later...

Todays press release on this Tram Road project we've previously discussed:

City Goes Green With Area's First Water Reuse Facility

April 30

Groundbreaking Held Today; Partners Include FDEP and NWFWMD - Mayor John Marks, joined by representatives from state, local and regional agencies, today participated in a groundbreaking for the City

• 1 month later...

I drove past it on the way home one afternoon and it indeed is the City's new Water Reuse Facility.

Seems like what we have in Cape Coral. Take previously used water, clean it up, and then reuse it for irrigation. This should help in the future in case of drought to keep Southwood well watered.

Archived