State income tax Bill

gatoremt

This is something that I REALLY HOPE that passes. I am so tired of paying high property taxes. I would love to be able to just pay sales tax instead of property taxes. I just dont think it is fair that property owners have to pay taxes that those who dont own property dont have to pay. It will be nice to spread the wealth around. This is something that everyone is going to pay. No matter if you live in the area or not. To me it seems like there will be more money coming in.

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...328/1010/NEWS01

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is something that I REALLY HOPE that passes. I am so tired of paying high property taxes. I would love to be able to just pay sales tax instead of property taxes. I just dont think it is fair that property owners have to pay taxes that those who dont own property dont have to pay. It will be nice to spread the wealth around. This is something that everyone is going to pay. No matter if you live in the area or not. To me it seems like there will be more money coming in.

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...328/1010/NEWS01

I am sure you have a built in payment for said landlord but not the $2500 I am paying a year. That is what I dont agree with. I just think there is a better way to fund the county besides property taxes. I just hope that it is fixed. Because if it went away your rent would become cheaper also ;) Which is always a good thing.

I am sure you have a built in payment for said landlord but not the $2500 I am paying a year. That is what I dont agree with. I just think there is a better way to fund the county besides property taxes. I just hope that it is fixed. Because if it went away your rent would become cheaper also ;) Which is always a good thing.

Even when my home is paid off. I will still pay taxes on it. Either way property taxes need to be gone. You are only paying a part. I would like to see what the land lords tax bill is for the year. That is propable be through the roof. And of course they are going to raise the rent a little to pay the tax bill. Just thank if they did not have to pay property taxes. Your rent would be lower.

I heard on the radio that individual counties in Florida can still make you pay property taxes, if that county chooses not to adopt the state plan. So theoretically you could live in a county that says "No, you still have to pay property taxes" and then you will be paying extra sales tax on top of that. Ka-ching! Or is this just really bad information? Somebody please tell me this is bad info.

If I can stop paying these ridiculous property taxes, I might be able to actually stay in Florida in the long run instead of moving back the the Plains.

I have lived somewhere else. My taxes are higher in Leon county. If we can pay taxes on sales tax I can choose what I want to buy. Now I dont have a choice I am just taxed. And every year it goes up. Let alone all the stuff included on the property taxes that I pay for.

I have lived somewhere else. My taxes are higher in Leon county. If we can pay taxes on sales tax I can choose what I want to buy. Now I dont have a choice I am just taxed. And every year it goes up. Let alone all the stuff included on the property taxes that I pay for.

I heard on the radio that individual counties in Florida can still make you pay property taxes, if that county chooses not to adopt the state plan. So theoretically you could live in a county that says "No, you still have to pay property taxes" and then you will be paying extra sales tax on top of that. Ka-ching! Or is this just really bad information? Somebody please tell me this is bad info.

If I can stop paying these ridiculous property taxes, I might be able to actually stay in Florida in the long run instead of moving back the the Plains.

That is all I am asking for is some relief of some sort. I know that business' are getting screwed. I heard one guy on the news awhile back said if he raised his price like his property taxes had been raised he would have to charge $18.53 for a Bud Light in his place.

As a home owner and landloard I agree that something needs to be done about the ever increasing property taxes. As a home owner everyone would enjoy a break from paying property taxes. I think most landlords probably are not going to pass much or any of the savings onto the renters. Especially if there in a low rent part of town.

Its a tuff call on whether I can support this bill. Paying property taxes can be itemized on my federal income tax and I may get some money back from the IRS because of that. Buying fast food at Burger King and clothes at the mall aren't while paying extra for each transaction. On a side note all the tourists coming to Florida and paying sales tax would help some for residents of Florida.

The other complaint I have with this bill is that its shifts the tax burden from people that can afford to pay some taxes to people that are at the bottom end of the economic ladder. Take for example a family with a medium level income (middle class) and a couple of kids. There taxable consumpsion of neccessities is not going to be that much different than a faimly of four with a low income but the percentage of that income going toward sales every month is by far greater than the other faimly.

I agree that everyone should pay taxes in some form. It doesn't cost any more for a millionaire to live day to day than some one doing manual labor jobs day to day. They have to eat, sleep, and have a roof over there head.

This to me sounds like a redistrubtion of the tax burden to lower economic folks.

I am a die hard conservtive and support most Repulican issues but I don't think I like this one. Maybe if they change the bill some it might work. :dunno:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the House and Senate have passed there respective property tax relief bills out of their chambers. No surprises in either chamber. Now the fun part begins as they head to conference. Im liking the house plan more and more after seeing some figures. If it would only be more friendly to business/commercial property I would be singing its praises without reservations.

Well, the House and Senate have passed there respective property tax relief bills out of their chambers. No surprises in either chamber. Now the fun part begins as they head to conference. Im liking the house plan more and more after seeing some figures. If it would only be more friendly to business/commercial property I would be singing its praises without reservations.

As a multi-property owner and a small biz owner I'm for neither. If they'd cut out many of the sales tax exemptions except for grocery and medicine, we'd save a ton of money that way.

Thanks for links GG.

And by the way, are both of these being proposed as part of the constitution?

As a multi-property owner and a small biz owner I'm for neither. If they'd cut out many of the sales tax exemptions except for grocery and medicine, we'd save a ton of money that way.

Thanks for links GG.

And by the way, are both of these being proposed as part of the constitution?

• 1 month later...

IMHO this is going to really hurt renters. We'll be using hatpins to pop porcine Zeppelins before landlords pass on their property tax savings in the form of reduced rents, so the renters see a cut of 0 and are going to be paying all the added "make-up" taxes...

Are they actually talking about raising the state sales tax rate? I don't have a problem with the current 6% and the penny local, but if it were to approach the 10% bracket I would not be a happy camper.

(Along those lines it seems quite wrong to me that, as someone who does not live in Leon County and has, and never will have, no use for Leon County's school system, I'm still required to pay a 0.5% sales tax to pay for said school system. Sounds like taxation without reprensentation to me...)

Archived