State income tax Bill

gatoremt

IMHO this is going to really hurt renters. We'll be using hatpins to pop porcine Zeppelins before landlords pass on their property tax savings in the form of reduced rents, so the renters see a cut of 0 and are going to be paying all the added "make-up" taxes...

Are they actually talking about raising the state sales tax rate? I don't have a problem with the current 6% and the penny local, but if it were to approach the 10% bracket I would not be a happy camper.

(Along those lines it seems quite wrong to me that, as someone who does not live in Leon County and has, and never will have, no use for Leon County's school system, I'm still required to pay a 0.5% sales tax to pay for said school system. Sounds like taxation without reprensentation to me...)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed in the newspaper it was said that if the constitutional amendment passes it could mean a $33 million cut in the county budget, which could require cutting - as in terminating - "the county's library programme...parks..."

:shok:

Wait.... before you panic:

The County staff is reccomending a hold on funding for NEW libraries that the county plans to open and the Northeast Park (which was proposed, but has yet to be sited or designed). Things that haven't come to be, may not materialize for a while because of these cuts. This does not mean we will loose the libraries or any parks we already have.

Wait.... before you panic:

The County staff is reccomending a hold on funding for NEW libraries that the county plans to open and the Northeast Park (which was proposed, but has yet to be sited or designed). Things that haven't come to be, may not materialize for a while because of these cuts. This does not mean we will loose the libraries or any parks we already have.

I say before the county cuts anything, the commissioners should cut their salaries. Full time pay for part-time work is not cool in my eyes, not coming from that governing body. I can't think of a single revenue generating program the county has.

The City of Tallahassee has several.

I'm not a great fan of all these satellite libraries. I think one central great library is much better than a dozen not so good libraries. I know we want access for our citizens, but we have an existing bus line they could improve to the central location for much less than the cost of bldg. all these satellites. I mean a 20 minute drive to library from the far corners of the county really isn't that bad.

On the subject of County/City Commission pay, while that's a good gesture to cut their salary, in the long-run it doesn't save that much money.

I've always wondered how much the city and county commissioners make in the cities we want to emulate: Madison, Raleigh, Austin and even the less than spectacular (IMHO) Chattanooga? I know Raleigh and Austin are bigger than us, but Mad. City is about the same size. I've googled this info, but just can't seem to find it. Any ideas or help out there?

No clue there Poonther, I don't even know how to find our own info as it pertains to this. And like you said I know slicing their salaries wouldn't save much, but it would symbolize they are willing to make the sacrifices they want us all to make.

I totally agree with you on the library and Chattanooga thing also. It would be much easier to have one really nice library, and none of the others at all... as far as I'm concerned.

This whole joint dispatch mess... if its going to cost more-- "status quo is the way to go!"

And perhaps we should take another serious look at consolidation.

^ i have never see "branch" libraries before moving to the Tallahassee area. i am used of one nice, central, large, comprehensive facility. it would cut down on operational cost...

of course, on the other hand, i suppose that increasing the public transit to locations not served by the libraries so people could get to the central location may cost more in the end than keeping the others open? drat. someone needs to run a cost/analysis between the two options. :(

one thing i don't see being written a whole lot with the "tax reform" is how it is going to impact the rural areas, like Jefferson County. if they make a superhomestead i assume that most of the property in some of these areas will be paying little to no taxes as a result of the valuations in these areas being relatively low to the rest of the state.

i am from an area that has very little to do with county services since all of the county is divided up into municipalities... that probabaly accounts for the lack of "branch" libraries... i still think that some of the branch ones i have used are subpar... *shrug* but if they let kids read, then so be it.

i think TJ was kidding... right?

i am from an area that has very little to do with county services since all of the county is divided up into municipalities... that probabaly accounts for the lack of "branch" libraries... i still think that some of the branch ones i have used are subpar... *shrug* but if they let kids read, then so be it.

i think TJ was kidding... right?

LOL! Yeah... I was joking. I was listening to an online prank call "Barbara's Check by Roy Woods Jr" and that was a line she used in the call when they told her they were cutting back on her Social Security benefits.

But to the degree that we need more of these branches right now... I'm not sure. I do think its important we have the libraries at Ft Braden and Thomasville road... the one on S Adams across from the main post office... I'm not so sure... it being so close to downtown.

Proctor and his imfamous wisdom here is a quote from the Democrap today. "Commissioner Bill Proctor has set a news conference for Monday to push for continued Bond funding. He said in a release that cutting Bond from the budget is insulting and even racist. It is a hideous orchestration to force Bond out of existence leaving its patients with culturally insensitive medical options," Proctor said." Why does it have to come to this. They are going to have to cut funds somewhere. It is not like they are going to be shutting it down.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...NGNEWS/70624001

^ your statement illustrates the hard thing about cutting property taxes... the money has to come from somewhere but when the cuts start coming no one is happy. florida cannot have its cake and eat it too. tough decisions have to be made concerning this pickle we are in re: property taxes.

Archived