Downtown drying up as businesses move out

Justiceham

Recently, several businesses have decided to move from the square to new larger spaces in the Gateway Area. If this trend continues, do you think the square will die? There haven't been any new additions to downtown for years with the exception of a few church expansions. With no new highrises or infill, will Murfreesboro's historic downtown become history? Why is this area of town, stagnant?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be that M'boro has grown so rapidly that no one even paid attention to what was going on downtown? I would be willing to wager that most people who live in M'boro would like a cool downtown - like Palo Alto but would do nothing to foster the development of one.

Its hard to say why downtown M'boro business is declining. Another thought is its proximity to Nashville's entertainment and also Chattanooga. Not to mention that MTSU, like APSU, TECH and others, is suitcase campus or has a large number of non-traditional students.

What about brain-drain? Are the MTSU Graduates leaving town or what? If there is nothing compelling to keep them in M'boro then they'll leave.

Just some thoughts.

Could it be that M'boro has grown so rapidly that no one even paid attention to what was going on downtown? I would be willing to wager that most people who live in M'boro would like a cool downtown - like Palo Alto but would do nothing to foster the development of one.

Its hard to say why downtown M'boro business is declining. Another thought is its proximity to Nashville's entertainment and also Chattanooga. Not to mention that MTSU, like APSU, TECH and others, is suitcase campus or has a large number of non-traditional students.

What about brain-drain? Are the MTSU Graduates leaving town or what? If there is nothing compelling to keep them in M'boro then they'll leave.

Just some thoughts.

I think people do forget about downtown and how important is at bringing life to any city. I think the citizens who live here are still content at driving to Nashville for entertainment or don't really care. I would like to have a cool downtown or atleast one that matched the size of the metro. Murfreesboro really is missing out on a market of young people and others who want to see venues and have places to hang out after midnight. Sure, Murfreesboro will be a regional draw for shopping, class A office space, medical services and affordable housing, but then what. MTSU is nationally ranked for its business and music programs yet there are no outside ampitheatres or office buildings around campus. Add to the decline that the planners are having a tough time juggling new school and road projects. I think downtown is a jewel that hasn't been discovered yet. At one time, there was a proposal by Mid South Bank for a 20 story tower downtown, but I think that project has officially died.

Edited by Justiceham

While their have been no new highrises, the downtown area is more "happening" than it was 5-20 years ago.

Even if "considered" a suitcase campus, with roughly 22,500 students there should be plenty enough students hanging around to support a downtown.

The strange thing is, there are no more clubs/student bars here than when I was in school in the early 90's.

I was in Athen, Georgia, not long ago during the summer (after the Spring Semester) and you would not believe the downtown area. Probably 75 restaurants/bars/clubs still open at midnight, and packed.

I know we aren't UGA, but you would think there would be a market for the large student population.

And sports bars-- Buffalo Wild Wings is making a killiing. I think Lebanon has more sports bars than we do.

What is the latest on what type of restaurant is going in at the Embassy Suites? I hope it is like the one that's in Cool Springs.

I agree with the above. I drive home around the square after work at about 10 PM many nights and it looks more happening than ever to me.

My interest is retail, so I have noticed there are retail stores and eateries popping up. Binks does well. The toy store. The Maple Street Grill just to name a few. The square could actually come to benefit from all the other shopping coming to town. An easy side trip for unique shops the way Franklin's square is.

And a side note or all of you who wanted Murfreesboro to have its own forum. It's dull. So props to Justiceham fro trying to keep it going, but it was much more interesting when lots more opinions were voiced be them good or bad.

And a side note or all of you who wanted Murfreesboro to have its own forum. It's dull. So props to Justiceham fro trying to keep it going, but it was much more interesting when lots more opinions were voiced be them good or bad.

Point well taken, MurfRez. I've refrained from posting on Urban Planet in general for some time now. It can be tough to be the only paleoconservative (for lack of a better term) in a debate, and I definitely needed a breather. Having said that, I'm thankful to have a place to discuss many of these issues that affect my community, and hope to do so again in the future.

On the topic of Murfreesboro's downtown, I don't honestly have much of an opinion. I have very little reason for visiting the square for entertainment. It's a beautiful area of town, but I would have it stand or fall on its own merits. As many of you may know I oppose the type of government-organized urban planning that takes place in Murfreesboro and most American cities in the modern era, and I certainly don't want to see my property taxes, which already undermine my property rights, propping up the downtown area.

^ As much as I dislike the term paleoconservative, it describes me more aptly than libertarian, though I have used the word libertarian to describe myself in the past. (When I use it I think I usually tell people my viewpoints are "somewhat libertarian.") I'm sorry, Kheldane. You and I have much in common, you shouldn't try to drive a wedge between us.

my viewpoints are "somewhat libertarian.") I'm sorry, Kheldane. You and I have much in common, you shouldn't try to drive a wedge between us.

My bad. I like "somewhat libertarian" better though...at least it is somewhat descriptive. "paleoconservative" is so vague that it sounds like you're trying to choose a vague name to avoid commiting to any idea. Well, I guess the word "somewhat" is the very definition of wishy-washy though, isn't it?

Obviously it's important to have your own views and not simply subscribe to a party line. Nobody ever said all libertarians will see eye-to-eye on every issue. Just make sure your views are consistent. I don't think the official libertarian party platform is consistent, so my personal views diverge from it pretty drastically.

Anyway, don't be shy about your beliefs on the forum, you aren't the only non-republican/democrat on here. Don't be an apologist either - reason your way through an issue, pick your stance, and then defend it. If you're right you will inevitably win the argument...

Kheldane, I appreciate your comments. You may feel the descriptor I use to give a name to my political beliefs is wishy-washy, but please don't take that to mean that my beliefs themselves are. I appreciate being challenged in my beliefs, but don't get to hung up on what label I give myself. I use "somewhat libertarian" instead of libertarian because as I understand the term "libertarian" and as I understand most other people to understand it, it doesn't quite match up with me perfectly, and I just don't feel it would accurately sum me up. You may find paleoconservative too vague, and I myself don't really like the term, but if I say I'm a conservative, I'm afraid most people would jump to the conclusion that my beliefs are in fact neoconservative. From where I stand, the two terms have become nearly synonomous. Christian Constitutionalist, and non-interventionalist might be two other terms I would use to describe myself.

As far as your other advice, it is always appreciated. It's not about me being shy in my beliefs though. Anyway, take care, man!

Recently, several businesses have decided to move from the square to new larger spaces in the Gateway Area. If this trend continues, do you think the square will die? There haven't been any new additions to downtown for years with the exception of a few church expansions. With no new highrises or infill, will Murfreesboro's historic downtown become history? Why is this area of town, stagnant?

I think downtown is more active now than I have ever seen in the past.