Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

I've got one - how much Hotel space does GSO and surrounds have? Is it enough to land, for example, the semis or finals for the NCAA tourney? I am of course assuming the Coliseum does infact have the necessary seating capacity (as currently defined). I thought I heard recently that it was getting one of these soon, but I think I was confusing the women's tourny for the men's...

Edited by nowensone

According to the following sources:

- Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce: 49 hotels/5,000 rooms

- Greensboro Convention and Visitors Bureau: 75 hotels/1 with 1,017 rooms (couldn't find a total room count)

Going on the average of Winston-Salem's hotels (102 rooms per location) that would be around 7,650 rooms.

I didn't see a count on High Point's website and I'm not sure if the Greensboro site would have counted these...

I've got one - how much Hotel space does GSO and surrounds have? Is it enough to land, for example, the semis or finals for the NCAA tourney? I am of course assuming the Coliseum does infact have the necessary seating capacity (as currently defined). I thought I heard recently that it was getting one of these soon, but I think I was confusing the women's tourny for the men's...

in 1998 Greensboro hosted the east regional which was broadcast on national tv. so back then, the Triad had enough hotel rooms. maybe standards have changed over the last 9 years and the NCAA requires more hotel rooms. I really don't know.

BTW....it would be nice if the Triad Section had a coffee house like Charlotte and the Triangle :)

Edited by cityboi

I remember working near the coliseum during the ACC tournament. I have never seen so many people until I went to the final four that Charlotte hosted. I wish G-boro could host it but the requirements have changed alot since then. The NCAA is neglecting so many great final four sites in great host cities. Why should Indianapolis and ATL reap the benefits from multiple events like this. I say the coliseum should expand as much as possible and then apply for it. Take a chance just maybe good things will happen. Its not good to get ACC country angry :unsure: .

Edited by NcSc74

As far as hosting the Women's Final Four, I think the issue is not only the number of hotel rooms available, but also the number of rooms available at full-service hotels. Im sure they include hotels/motels like Motel 6 and maybe the Cavalier Inn in the room count, but I doubt that these are the type of places an out of town visitor is looking to stay for 3 or 4 days. The last time Greensboro tried to get a Women's Final Four the issue of hotel rooms was a drawback. I know that Greensboro is looking to land the 2013 Final Four, and by the time they name the winning city later this year, a few more hotels will be added to the mix. So between the Sheraton Four Seasons, Marriott Downtown, the O'Henry, Grandover, Embassy Suites, Airport Marriott, the hotel core around the Interstate 40 and 68 interchange.. and the ones around Four Seasons... I think we may be reaching the number of rooms needed to host. Toss in the new Doubletree opening up soon, and of course the Proximity and we may be in business. And another plus is that the Sheraton would definitely be the host hotel for the NCAA committee... and has plenty of both rooms and convention space to accompany the activities. As a women's basketball fan... I sure hope they can pull it off.

BusinessWeek online has a ranking, compiled by Mercer Human Resource Consulting, of the world's top 100 most livable cities. Little ol' Winston-Salem ranked 52nd (tied with Pittsburgh) for this year's list.

The ranking was based on 39 key quality-of-life issues, including political stability, currency-exchange regulations, political and media censorship, school quality, housing, the environment and public safety.

Just thought that was worth mentioning--even if it is some random ranking. :)

BusinessWeek online has a ranking, compiled by Mercer Human Resource Consulting, of the world's top 100 most livable cities. Little ol' Winston-Salem ranked 52nd (tied with Pittsburgh) for this year's list.

The ranking was based on 39 key quality-of-life issues, including political stability, currency-exchange regulations, political and media censorship, school quality, housing, the environment and public safety.

Just thought that was worth mentioning--even if it is some random ranking. :)

I'm upset, we slipped from 49th!! While I'm thrilled for my hometown, I don't understand how they pick the 215 worldwide cities they compare... I will say though, that even though most people write off these ratings as insignificant; Winston-Salem is doing quite well in them lately! :thumbsup:

^ Another vapid ranking survey, but one positive aspect is that it has WS around 50 out of cities in the world, which does look kinda good as well as being simple exposure. More importantly, it is one of the top US cities listed.

Did I just speak favorably of one of these things? :shok:

:)

• 3 weeks later...

looks like it has been decided where they are going to put the statue of the city's namesake General Greene in downtown Greensboro. It will be in the middle of the roundabout at Greene and McGee Street and instead of him being on a horse like at the Guilford Couthouse Military Park he will be standing. Its going to be a tall statue. The pedestal alone will exceed 6 feet and the statue itself will be 10 feet tall. I can see pictures of the statue being on city maps and phone books.

generalgreenestatue.png

but uhggg!! they need to do something about the Gateway Plaza Tower in the background of the photos. They should have left the building completely white. why on earth did they add the ugly brown paint to the building? The way it was done, it looks like its not complete.

4-22-0719.jpg

4-22-0720.jpg

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/304270006

Edited by cityboi

generalgreenestatue.png

Liking the statue, especially the large pedestal, they might as well go obnoxious with it and make Greene 20 feet tall and accomplish what someone in another thread was hoping for as far as putting GSO "on the map".

Who's the man in the picture? The sculptor, or ours truly?

Action Greensboro will be hosting a meeting at the Greensboro Historical Museum in the auditorium Thursday May 10, 2007.

5:00 - 5:45pm Reception - Heavy Appetizers

5:45 - 7:30pm Reports and Discussion

The meeting will talk about Phase 2 of Action Greensboro's downtown plan, the downtown greenway and an economic benchmark study update. RSVP by Tuesday May 8 to [email protected]

379-0821

I just read in the News & Record that a developer is considering four sites for a MASSIVE project in downtown Greensboro! details will be revealed in the News & Record Tommorrow and I'll keep everyone updated.....PLEASE...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET IT BE A TOWER!! The News & Record is really making this sound like a big deal so lets keep our fingers crossed! The article say four sites are being looked at I dont know if there are alot of large sites available which could possiblly mean something tall. There are only about 2 big foot print sites im aware of.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70502036

Edited by cityboi

Oh wow....this sounds big!!!

*fingers crossed for a signature highrise*

Indeed it does. lets hope its a new tallest for the city. This has really got to be a huge project for the paper to use the word "massive" they never described Southside as massive or even the proposed Murrow Station mixed-use/residential village. So im really wondering what this could be. Could it be a hotel/condo building, office tower? we'll just have to wait and see. But I will say this. I cant think of 4 very large sites in downtown for a "massive" low-rise development.

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if anyone has gone outside today and smelled smoke but I found out on the news that there are wildfires in Georgia and Florida and the smoke and haze is blowing through the Triad. I thought somebody was burning something nearby. It smelled that strong. I can smell it here in Lexington and my mother can smell it in Greensboro.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70516018

Edited by cityboi

I dont know if anyone has gone outside today and smelled smoke but I found out on the news that there are wildfires in Georgia and Florida and the smoke and haze is blowing through the Triad. I thought somebody was burning something nearby. It smelled that strong. I can smell it here in Lexington and my mother can smell it in Greensboro.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70516018

Yea, I noticed the smell this morning too. The principal came on the loud speaker warning everyone to limit there time out side because of the smoke. Suprised me when I learned it was coming from the GA/FL fires. I go to Lexington Senior High by the way cityboi so it's good to know we were close by lol

Yea, I noticed the smell this morning too. The principal came on the loud speaker warning everyone to limit there time out side because of the smoke. Suprised me when I learned it was coming from the GA/FL fires. I go to Lexington Senior High by the way cityboi so it's good to know we were close by lol

cool!

Yea, I was hoping it was coming from some big cookout somewhere, I was getting a bit hungry :lol:

Didnt know we had forum members that young. When I saw principal, I was thinking you were a teacher or something.. then I continued to read :P

Its good to see you have an interest in urban things at an relatively early future. If only they had something like this around when I was in high school.