Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

looks like some in Greensboro finally get it that we don't have to be "second tier" to Charlotte and Raleigh. We don't have to be that small big town. To get to a higher level, Greensboro's character is going to have to change a little bit and I know some won't like that but we have to grow and accept change. Greensboro needs more high paying jobs and it needs a "new south" bigger city urban image. Today Greensboro is where Charlotte was 30 years ago and its going to take strong leadership in the business community to push this city forward, not city council. This city should strive to be in the same tier with cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Denver, ect.

http://myfox8.com/20...ng-the-economy/

Edited by cityboi

looks like some in Greensboro finally get it that we don't have to be "second tier" to Charlotte and Raleigh. We don't have to be that small big town. To get to a higher level, Greensboro's character is going to have to change a little bit and I know some won't like that but we have to grow and accept change. Greensboro needs more high paying jobs and it needs a "new south" bigger city urban image. Today Greensboro is where Charlotte was 30 years ago and its going to take strong leadership in the business community to push this city forward, not city council. This city should strive to be in the same tier with cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Denver, ect.

http://myfox8.com/20...ng-the-economy/

This is the mentality we need! I'm glad that these CEO's are finally coming together for this cause. We just need to realize that there's NO way we can stay competitive with a small town mentality. That way of thinking needs to die in this city. We have to truly believe that we are capable of doing ANYTHING. Greensboro needs to go for HUGE projects(like Major companies, Pro-sports team, more entertainment, etc.). If we don't get these kinds of things, then we'll NEVER be able to catch up the Triangle and Charlotte. We really a major company(or companies) to take off here (like a GM or Bank of America, for example) in my opinion.

This is the mentality we need! I'm glad that these CEO's are finally coming together for this cause. We just need to realize that there's NO way we can stay competitive with a small town mentality. That way of thinking needs to die in this city. We have to truly believe that we are capable of doing ANYTHING. Greensboro needs to go for HUGE projects(like Major companies, Pro-sports team, more entertainment, etc.). If we don't get these kinds of things, then we'll NEVER be able to catch up the Triangle and Charlotte. We really a major company(or companies) to take off here (like a GM or Bank of America, for example) in my opinion.

The problem Greensboro has had over the last few decades is that the city has been reactive instead of being proactive. There is a reason companies are more attracted to Charlotte and Raleigh. As I said before we are getting on the right track but we need to do more. We need more urban amenities, the kind of things that improve the quality of life and helps attract companies to the area. A great example is the performing arts center. We should have had a new performing arts center years ago. Companies don't want to move to areas that are slow in change.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The John Edwards trial is driving up sales in downtown Greensboro. The trial, which has put Greensboro in the national spotlight has led to a flurry of foot traffic in downtown Greensboro. Restaurants and shops all over downtown have said their sales have jumped up.

"the president and CEO of Downtown Greensboro Inc., was eating lunch at Stumble Stilskins, a bar and eatery located just down the street from the courthouse.

“I’ve never seen them so busy,” Wolverton said."

"National news crews have inundated the Green Bean coffee shop on South Elm Street with orders for carafes of coffee and warm scones, according to the baristas there. The shop was even the setting for a live shot for NBC’s “Today” show."

"Occupancy at the Biltmore Greensboro Hotel is up about 25 percent compared to this time last year"

"an assistant manager at Natty Greene’s Pub & Brewing Co., said several other events — including graduation at UNC Greensboro, auditions for reality TV show “The X Factor,” early voting in local elections and the 2012 U.S. Masters Swimming Spring National Championships have contributed to the influx of foot traffic downtown"

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2012/05/edwards-trial-driving-up-downtown-sales.html

• 2 weeks later...

The editorial section of the Winston-Salem Journal says the city "has the spirit to surpass Greensboro". The editorial makes note of Greensboro upgrading its facilities while Winston-Salem has neglected its facilities. It goes on to say that Winston-Salem should upgrade the Benton Convention Center essentially making it superior to the Koury Convention Center in Greensboro. However the hotel attached to the Koury has over 1,000 rooms and there is a big hotel cluster around the Koury Convention Center unlike the Benton. The coliseum, with its own convention space is also less than a mile from the Koury. Add to the fact that there is a large vacant tract across the street on Pinecroft which is set aside for future expansion of the Koury Convention Center. Koury would just upgrade its convention center if Winston-Salem made efforts to upgrade theirs and it would be easier since the Koury Convention Center is a privately owned convention center. There is one open window for Winston-Salem. If efforts for a major regional performing arts center in Greensboro fails, Winston-Salem could jump on a plan to build one. They may even use the money from the sale of the Joel Coliseum to help build it. Winston-Salem could very easily make the case to build one being that its the city of the arts. But the competition goes far beyond a few facilities, its about both cities wanting to be top dog in the Triad.

http://www2.journaln...s-g-ar-2292387/

Greensboro and Winston-Salem have always been in competition with one another. It all started with the airport. Winston didn't like the idea of the region's main airport being in Greensboro. Anytime Greensboro felt threatened by Winston-Salem, the Gate City would make moves of its own to stay ahead. When I-73 was first proposed for the Triad, it was suppose to go through WInston-Salem and High Point, bypassing Greensboro. But local Greensboro politicians successfully lobbied to move I-73 to Greensboro instead of Winston-Salem. But it still all worked out for the best because Winston still got I-74. Then several years ago, Winston-Salem's population mushroomed after a mass annexation. Winston-Salem was inching a lot closer to Greensboro's population. The Twin City was breathing down Greensboro's neck. Of Course Greensboro felt threatened by Winston-Salem because of the potential of Winston-Salem moving up to become the largest city in the Triad and third largest in the state. So a few years later Greensboro responded with its own mass annexation erasing Winston-Salem's gains on Greensboro. Other past examples are the coliseums. When Lawerence Joel Coliseum opened in 1989, its was larger and more modern than the Greensboro Coliseum. Greensboro panicked because the Twin City was on the path of taking big events away from Greensboro. So a few years later Greensboro renovated and expanded the Greensboro Coliseum far beyond the seating capacity of Lawerence Joel. More recently Greensboro built a downtown ballpark then Winston-Salem built one. Winston-Salem built a research park then Greensboro built one with two campuses. There has been this constant tit for tat.

While both cities, including High Point are doing a better job working together to promote the area as a region, there will always be fierce competition between the Triad's two largest cities. In many ways competition is good because it keeps both cities on their toes. However too much competition will hurt efforts for both cities competing on a national level. We can only do this as the "Triad". Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point individually will never compete on the level of Atlanta or Dallas , at least not for many many years to come.

Edited by cityboi

Here is a blurb in the New York Times about reporters all over the country (John Edwards Trial) getting acquainted with Greensboro. Reporters are touring the city during down time, visiting grasshoppers games and the International Civil Rights Museum where the Woolworth sit-in lunch counter movement started in 1960.

http://www.nytimes.c...ro-nc.html?_r=1

Edited by cityboi

• 4 weeks later...

Greensboro has selected a new city manager. Denise Turner Roth, who has been serving as interim city manager, is the city's first female city manager and second African-American city manager. She replaces Rashad Young who was Greensboro's first African-American city manager. Rashad took the city manager position in Alexandria, VA.

http://www.digtriad....ew-City-Manager

120620122623_photo.JPG

Edited by cityboi

x-factor.jpg

Free tickets are available for the second round X Factor tapings in Greensboro. Celebrity judges Simon Cowell, Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and L.A. Reid will be there to see performers compete live.

July 8th-10th at the Greensboro Coliseum

http://www.news-reco...s_in_greensboro

http://on-camera-aud...ws/The_X_Factor

Edited by cityboi

I've never had that problem, but I'm using Firefox, so It might be the browser you're using. Maybe try upgrading your browser and if that doesn't fix it download Firefox or Chrome and see if it still has the same issue.

(I'm assuming you're using Internet Explorer since that's what most people use)

I've never had that problem, but I'm using Firefox, so It might be the browser you're using. Maybe try upgrading your browser and if that doesn't fix it download Firefox or Chrome and see if it still has the same issue.

(I'm assuming you're using Internet Explorer since that's what most people use)

Thanks I'll try to upgrade my browsers. I use Google Chrome and Safari

Judges L.A. Reid and Simon Cowell at second round x factor auditions at the Greensboro Coliseum. Two contestants from Greensboro made it to the next round.

7be7a8035dcaebc4f03e00da74483aa9.jpg

Judges Demi Lovato and Brittney Spears in Greensboro

spl414914_003.jpg

spl413819_015.jpg

Edited by cityboi

Greensboro's Proximity Hotel listed among the "world's best" hotels It made it in the "Top 50 Hotels in a Large City in the USA."

Only three other hotels in North Carolina made it into the top 50:

Unstead Hotel in Cary

Grand Bohemian Hotel in Asheville

Ritz Carlton in Charlotte

"The 147-room Proximity Hotel and adjacent Print Works Bistro restaurant have received many awards since it opened in late 2007. It is the first hotel in America to be certified LEED Platinum by the U.S. Green Building Council. LEED is the USGBC's rating system for designing and constructing the world's greenest, most energy efficient, and high performing buildings. Proximity uses 39% less energy and 33% less water than a similar size hotel. Most of its hot water is heated by 100 rooftop solar panels."

The hotel's elevator system is the first of its kind in North America. The two main guest elevators utilize regenerative drives which create energy when breaking during descent. The energy captured is then applied to the ascent. As a result, the elevators can generate 30 percent of their total electricity demand.

The hotel was also shown and mentioned on NBC's Today show one year. President Obama stayed there the last time he was in Greensboro. The hotel was designed to reflect Greensboro textile's heritage with its textile mill exterior design. The hotel was also named after the Proximity Mill in Greensboro. It was part of the Cone Mills empire.

http://www.digtriad....ong-Worlds-Best

The list:

Top Large City Hotels in the Continental U.S.

1 - Waldorf Astoria (formerly the Elysian), Chicago

2 - Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, Dallas, Texas

3 - The Peninsula, Chicago

4 - Hermitage Hotel, Nashville, Tennessee

5 - Trump International Hotel & Tower, New York City

6 - Four Seasons Hotel, New York City

7 - St. Regis, Atlanta

8 - The Peninsula, Beverly Hills

9 - Beverly Wilshire, A Four Seasons Hotel, Los Angeles

10 - Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas

11 - Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary, North Carolina

12 - Mandarin Oriental, Boston

13 - Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills

14 - Ritz-Carlton New York Central Park

15 - Beverly Hills Hotel & Bungalows, Los Angeles

16 - The Setai, Miami

17 - Hotel Bel-Air, Los Angeles

18 - Avia, Savannah, Georgia

19 - The Peninsula, New York City

20 - Four Seasons Hotel, Boston

21 - Mandarin Oriental (formerly the Mansion on Peachtree), Atlanta

22 - Four Seasons Hotel, Chicago

23 - Boston Harbor Hotel at Rowes Wharf

24 - Montage Beverly Hills, California

25 - Four Seasons Hotel, Las Vegas

26 - The Rittenhouse Hotel, Philadelphia

27 - Park Hyatt, Chicago

28 - Roosevelt New Orleans, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New Orleans

29 - Trump International Hotel & Tower, Chicago

30 - Four Seasons Hotel , Atlanta

31 - Four Seasons Hotel, Denver

32 - Hotel 1000, Seattle

33 - Charleston Place, South Carolina

34 - Grand Bohemian Hotel, Asheville, North Carolina

35 - Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

36 - Ritz-Carlton, Boston Common

37 - Ritz-Carlton, Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)

38 - The Cosmopolitan, Las Vegas

39 - Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia

40 - Mandarin Oriental, New York City

41 - Proximity Hotel, Greensboro, North Carolina

42 - Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City, Arlington , Virginia

43 - St. Regis, San Francisco

44 - Hotel Commonwealth, Boston

44 - The Pierre, New York City

46 - Heathman Hotel, Portland, Oregon

47 - Mandarin Oriental, Miami

48 - Windsor Court Hotel, New Orleans

49 - Hotel Palomar, Philadelphia

50 - Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte, North Carolina

ExteriorNight.jpg

lobbydec08a.jpg

lobbydec08.jpg

endroom2.jpg

SS_1ProxLobby.jpg

frontdesk2009a.jpg

citysuite2.jpg

weaverbig.jpg

kingroombig.jpg

test3.jpg

printworks2.jpg

printworksNCTravelGuide.jpg

5433277845_8e1f596f96_b.jpg

5433275567_150442a18e_b.jpg

5433886780_7fa6768069_b.jpg

5433274873_11bbf6bd34_b.jpg

5433886660_7a92003347_b.jpg

5433278097_1b025d3dba_b.jpg

proximity+pool.jpg

Edited by cityboi

The big Time Warner Cable mess.

For the last several days, NBC affiliate WXII in Winston-Salem has been off the air on Time Warner because of a contractual dispute between Time Warner and Hearst company, who owns WXII. In the place of WXII news, TIme Warner has been showing a Pennsylvania news station. Nexstar Broadcasting claims Time Warner didn't get permission to air the Pennsylvania station in the Triad. CBS affiliate WFMY News 2 of Greensboro might end up getting in this battle because Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy are airing on the Pennsylvania station the same time they are airing on WFMY/CBS here in the Triad. This could potentially become a three way battle. If Time Warner didn't have a cable monopoly in the Triad, this wouldn't be happening.

http://www.news-reco...g_a_3_way_fight

Edited by cityboi

• 3 weeks later...

This isn’t a new idea, but my daily commute takes me by the Bryan Y and new jail in downtown Greensboro, and literally every time I see that surface lot (and so many others for that matter) all I can do is picture something like this:

catylyst3-1.jpg

Recently built in my hometown. On the first floor: 17,000 sq ft of retail. The middle six floors have 647 parking spaces. The top three floors consist of 52 apartments- all of which were already leased when the building opened. Project was built with $14.5 million in private investment and $16.5 million in public funding.

I’m only posting because I’m reminded of it every day and just want to say, “Please Greensboro, build more stuff like this.”

This is the kind of development downtown needs. It does a number of things. A project such as that provides additional parking while disguising it as part of a building. It also allows the building to be taller. It just goes to show that out of the box thinking doesn't always have to be extremely expensive.

After a bit of researching I discovered the rendering you posted is of a building in Lincoln, NE. It has three components all of which are in high demand in downtown Greensboro. The building includes restaurants, parking and apartments. Its an ingenious way to build a 10-story building without office space and hundreds of residential units. The project was financially feasible because it includes student apartments with four bedrooms along with regular apartments. We are talking about $2,000 plus per month apartments divided up among four college students. With four tenants per apartment splitting that, it makes it more affordable for them. The hardest part about building high-rise apartments is balancing the lease rate with the cost of the project and this is a unique way in solving that problem. Such a project would work well for Greensboro because there are 4 major colleges that border downtown along with Elon University Law School in the heart of downtown.

"The Catalyst"

4f3c1bcdc6720.image.jpg

Edited by cityboi

Greensboro City Council debates how to handle lewd comments at city council meetings.

There is very little they can do because of the first amendment right. Former police captain Charles Cherry has been a problem at city council meetings for months now. Basically because he's pissed off Greensboro PD fired him. Before he was fired Cherry went through a mental evaluation because of his physical outbursts on duty. Last Tuesday he made a comment regarding oral sex at a televised city council meeting. Because of first amendment rights, the city attorney advised council not to bleep his comments for rebroadcast. There was no profanity but what he said was in poor taste and should not have been said that way at a public meeting

Video of Charles Cherry and his comment

http://www.news-record.com/content/2012/08/08/article/greensboro_debates_how_to_handle_lewd_comments

• 1 month later...

Tune in on FOX Thursday. Greensboro will appear on national TV (X Factor) with plenty of local talent. Skyline shots and local scenes will likely be shown. Contestants face judges Simon Cowell, Britney Spears, L.A. Reid and Demi Lovato at the Greensboro Coliseum. It's the third time Greensboro has been featured on a national music talent show. In 2004 the viewing party at the Greensboro Coliseum for Fantasia Barrino aired on American Idol finale night. The following year the American Idol Auditions were held in Greensboro in front of judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson at the downtown Marriott and Greensboro Coliseum. Greensboro isn't the only NC city in the national spot light. Charlotte hosted the American Idol Auditions this year as well and those auditions will air in January of 2013. Two contestants from Guilford County made it to the top 10 on American Idol in the past. Fantasia was the winner in 2004 and Chris Daughtry made it to the top 4 the following season. Many thought he should have won that season.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2012/09/18/article/greensboros_x_factor_auditions_to_air_thursday

http://www.news-reco...to_air_thursday

X factor in Greensboro

http://i.ytimg.com/v...TDY0eTvnY/0.jpg

0.jpg

http://xfactornetwor...tion-cities.jpg

x-factor-2012-audition-cities.jpg

Edited by cityboi

"There are a lot of people in Greensboro who are upset and some are angry with The X-Factor talent competition show on FOX-TV"

http://www.digtriad....?storyid=246516

For those who didn't see the x factor Greensboro auditions on FOX, many people in Greensboro are upset of the portrayal of Greensboro.

At first the show started out great with aerial footage of downtown Greensboro and a fountain scene with Greensboro on the wall in front of NewBridge Bank Ballpark. Then the show started playing on the old North Carolina stereotypes. Judge L.A. Reid refers to Greensboro as a small quiet town. Instead of showing bustling downtown night life and daytime scenes, Greensboro was made out to be a small town with scenes of a completely deserted downtown Greensboro with wild wild west ghost town music in the background. The only thing that moved in the scenes was a plastic grocery bag blowing across the road like tumbleweed. Obviously they were filming those scenes on an early Sunday morning. Its the only time downtown streets are dead like that during daylight. Later a lady said nobody was downtown because everyone was at the x factor auditions at the coliseum, as if ALL of Greensboro was at the auditions. That statement was misleading anyway because not one time during the hours the auditions were held in Greensboro, were the streets deserted like that. During audition hours, the downtown streets were bustling with office workers and other activity. X Factor was not the only or most important thing going on in Greensboro. A lot of editing was done on that episode and the show ridiculed Greensboro. Ironically, Providence, Rhode Island, another audition city, is smaller than Greensboro and was not portrayed as a "small town" on the show. Nobody expects Greensboro to be portrayed as a big urban metropolis but the city should have been portrayed as it really is, not some stereotypical version of a small southern city.

Simon Cowell then asked what is Greensboro known for? Instead of saying the ACC, the Greensboro sit-ins, the city's colleges or even its industrial history in textiles, a local woman in the car with a heavy NC accent told Simon Cowell Greensboro is known for country music and grits. I just wanted to take my hands and grab her neck through the TV and ask her what the heck was she thinking? She made Greensboro look like a town with a bunch of hicks. I've lived here pretty much all my life and I can tell you country music is not the genre of music I think of when I think of Greensboro. Rock and R&B comes to my mind first. But really there is no one genre of music associated with Greensboro. The grits comment was offensive because thats not what defines Greensboro at all. I've never heard of any association of grits with Greensboro. Grits are popular all throughout the southeast, even in Atlanta.

Finally the city was embarrassed when the roof started leaking on the audience and stage during a heavy thunderstorm. For months coliseum Director Matt Brown has been asking the city for money for a new roof on the coliseum arena and I see why. As a citizen, I was totally embarrassed. The whole nation saw that and it played to the "small town" portrayal of Greensboro. Here is a "town" that can't even keep up with roof repairs at its coliseum. I also noticed that they showed aerials of the crowd waiting in line at the coliseum but not once did the roof of the main arena appear on the show, just the aquatic center and special events center.

In essence the image of Greensboro was not flattering. While Greensboro is no New York or Atlanta, the city is certainly not as small as it was made out to be. North Carolina cities have had a difficult time proving themselves because of the "Mayberry" sterotypes. Even today people look at Charlotte as a medium sized city and I've even heard the Queen City being called a small city when obviously its a big city. There were some snarky remarks about Charlotte after the DNC as well. On American Idol High Point was made out to be a town with one traffic light.

Edited by cityboi