Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

Actually its funny how much lanes and lights make a city appear bigger or smaller than it actually is. Perfect case in point, I have always thought that Burlington appears to be a bigger place than Greensboro. Especially traveling through at night... with the 8 lanes and the center lights, and the way the city is built up near the highway. You would think Burlington has at least 150,000 in population, not 50,000. Another good example is Salisbury of all places. Go through there at night.... again with the 8 lanes and the center lights :blink: A city of 26,000 seems much larger.

I agree!

I-40 west of the proposed loop is really beginning to looks like NC's version of Atlanta with 7 lanes near Galimore Dairy, 5 lanes near Sandy Ridge and all of the sprawl in the PTI area. DOT might want to consider adding a lane to 40/85 between Greensboro and Durham in the next 10 years, talk about crowded (though it was the kick-off to Memorial Day weekend when I drove it)!

GAS WAR! Thanks to the new gas pumps at the WalMart on Peters Creek Pkwy in Winston-Salem, a small gas war has erupted. WalMart is selling 87 octane for $2.93 a gallon. Wilco on Peters Creek (@ Wilshire, not @ I-40) has matched this price. Also, the Marathon and Quality Mart on Peters Creek as well as the Shell and Wilco on S. Main are all $2.99 or lower.

GAS WAR! Thanks to the new gas pumps at the WalMart on Peters Creek Pkwy in Winston-Salem, a small gas war has erupted. WalMart is selling 87 octane for $2.93 a gallon. Wilco on Peters Creek (@ Wilshire, not @ I-40) has matched this price. Also, the Marathon and Quality Mart on Peters Creek as well as the Shell and Wilco on S. Main are all $2.99 or lower.

Amazing, Never thought I see the day where gas between $2.93 and $2.99 a gallon would spark a gas war. :( If the day ever comes that I have children... I'll have to tell them of the days when the Kangaroo Station at Holden and Vandalia sparked a gas war and gas was selling for 70 cents a gallon. I think that was 1998 or 1999.

I agree!

I-40 west of the proposed loop is really beginning to looks like NC's version of Atlanta with 7 lanes near Galimore Dairy, 5 lanes near Sandy Ridge and all of the sprawl in the PTI area. DOT might want to consider adding a lane to 40/85 between Greensboro and Durham in the next 10 years, talk about crowded (though it was the kick-off to Memorial Day weekend when I drove it)!

Actually I read a few years ago that the DOT was looking at that possibility of adding an extra lane in each direction between Greensboro and the 40/85 split in Orange county. That would be simply amazing. Even in its present condition its kinda amazing... there cant be many places in the country that have a 8-lane interstate running some 30 miles in an non-urban environment.

Amazing, Never thought I see the day where gas between $2.93 and $2.99 a gallon would spark a gas war. :( If the day ever comes that I have children... I'll have to tell them of the days when the Kangaroo Station at Holden and Vandalia sparked a gas war and gas was selling for 70 cents a gallon. I think that was 1998 or 1999.

I remember the good ol' days... the cheapest I've ever paid for gas was 64 cents in Abiline, TX. With my gas-guzzlin' SUV, even a 15 cent cheaper than norm gas war is attractive to my pocketbook....

$2.93 is the normal price of regular unleaded here in Rock Hill, and can actually be had for cheaper in other parts of the state. ;)

$2.93 is the normal price of regular unleaded here in Rock Hill, and can actually be had for cheaper in other parts of the state. ;)

I bet. Its always cheaper in SC and VA than in NC... The cheapest gas that I ever bought was in SC... maybe around Gaffney... for 67 cents a gallon back in dec 1998. Hard to imagine I could drive from here to Atlanta and back for less than 15 dollars :cry:

Actually I read a few years ago that the DOT was looking at that possibility of adding an extra lane in each direction between Greensboro and the 40/85 split in Orange county. That would be simply amazing. Even in its present condition its kinda amazing... there cant be many places in the country that have a 8-lane interstate running some 30 miles in an non-urban environment.

eventually they have to add more lanes between Greensboro and Charlotte as all the commnities in between continue to grow and create more traffic.

eventually they have to add more lanes between Greensboro and Charlotte as all the commnities in between continue to grow and create more traffic.

Isn't that already planned? I know a big hold-up is what to do with the crossing over the Yadkin River. I have heard the possibility mentioned of a toll bridge.

Isn't that already planned? I know a big hold-up is what to do with the crossing over the Yadkin River. I have heard the possibility mentioned of a toll bridge.

Well the toll would suck for people who commute to work om I-85 everday that has to cross that bridge

on a sad note founder of Winston-Salem's National Black Theatre Festival died this morning of an unknown illness. Larry Leon Hamlin was age 58

Sad indeed. I know this years Festival will go on as scheduled, but hopefully it will continue into the future. Its definitely a gem in Winston Salem's crown.

While I-40/85 isn't in an urban environment, it does run through some thick pockets of suburban population through Alamance County and in the near future eastern Guilford County. I-40/85 between Huffman Mill Road and NC 62 (Alamance Rd) in Burlington has daily traffic counts of 110,000+ making it easily one of the top 10 interstate heavily travelled stretches in terms of daily traffic count in North Carolina. Unfortunately Burlington and Alamance county have terrible road infrastructure making I-40/85 the primary route to use for local traffic rather than sit in traffic on Church Street or Mebane Street. I will say the planners of NCDOT were ahead of time on this project completing it in most of it's present for around 12 years ago. As recently as 5 years ago there were stories in the Time News about widening of the road to 10 lanes from Mebane Oaks Road in Mebane to I-840. The future of this stretch of interstate is poor. I 40/85 will only gets busier as Alamance Crossing opens up, and areas south of the interstate continue to develop rapidly through poor planning. There are currently projects being planned that if they come into fruition will add even more traffic...A proposed Tucker Street exit (Exit 144) and the Eastern Alamance Loop (Currently Gibson Road),(Exit 151).

UPDATE!! The wandering black bear shown cruising thru Lexington was shot and killed by Thomasville Police today!! They felt it posed a danger to the public. Seeing the bears picture on TV, it barely looks larger than a dog. I wish it had stayed in the Mtns. :cry:

FOX8 Clip on Davidson Co. Black Bear Shooting

UPDATE!! The wandering black bear shown cruising thru Lexington was shot and killed by Thomasville Police today!! They felt it posed a danger to the public. Seeing the bears picture on TV, it barely looks larger than a dog. I wish it had stayed in the Mtns. :cry:

FOX8 Clip on Davidson Co. Black Bear Shooting

:angry: Yeah, thats a darn shame. They tried to justify killing it by saying there department didnt own a tranquilizer gun. I agree, that bear didnt look any where as big as people made it out to be. I've seen bigger dogs roaming the streets. :cry:

here is an interesting articale discussing how Greensboro and the Triad can become an "aerotropolis". While some say PTI may be going down hill, the opposite will likely happen.

"To compete nationally and globally, all jurisdictions in the Triad must work together as a unified entity reflecting the reality that the region is, in fact, a single market economy"

Edited by cityboi