Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

Greensboro is about to pass a law that Charlotte passed several years ago. A year from now it will be illegal to park on your front lawns.

I do understand it makes the neighborhood look bad but at the same time I have a problem with government telling me what I can do with my car on my own land. Now I live in an apartment and dont have a front yard. If I did have a front yard I wouldnt park on it because that would be my choice.

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/pages/Home/...mp;pageId=1.1.1

Edited by cityboi

Greensboro is about to pass a law that Charlotte passed several years ago. A year from now it will be illegal to park on your front lawns.

I do understand it makes the neighborhood look bad but at the same time I have a problem with government telling me what I can do with my car on my own land. Now I live in an apartment and dont have a front yard. If I did have a front yard I wouldnt park on it because that would be my choice.

Winston-Salem just started discussion on a similar proposal at this months city council. Any action on it was delayed for further talks.

I am completely for this law for so many reasons besides asthetics. So many utilities are underground now and go thru people's front yards. If a car is parked on my neigbhors lawn and I have an issue with one of my utilities (phone, gas, cable, etc.), I could potentially be delayed from getting it repaired until that vehicle is moved. Not to mention the ruts in the yard can effect drainage on the property and neighbors property.

Winston-Salem just started discussion on a similar proposal at this months city council. Any action on it was delayed for further talks.

I am completely for this law for so many reasons besides asthetics. So many utilities are underground now and go thru people's front yards. If a car is parked on my neigbhors lawn and I have an issue with one of my utilities (phone, gas, cable, etc.), I could potentially be delayed from getting it repaired until that vehicle is moved. Not to mention the ruts in the yard can effect drainage on the property and neighbors property.

While I agree that there should be some reasonable control over what people do on their property when it affects the properties around them, I don't see how this law is enforceable. What is the reasonable definition of ones front lawn? If I paved my entire front lawn or put down gravel does that allow me to park on it? What if I have a U-Shaped driveway that runs through my front yard?

I can't wait for all these people to move their cars in to the street in front of their houses.

Edited by coastalmindset

We deal with this a lot in my subdivision, covenants specifically say that you can not park on the grass areas of your lawn. You must park all cars (no atv's, commercial vehicles, boats, campers, etc.) either in your garage, in your driveway, or on the street. You would not believe how many people still try to park vehicles on their lawns. We hear all kinds of excuses (I don't have enough parking space in my driveway for my 6 cars, or My house doesn't have a garage (or a single garage only), so on and so on.)

I have little sympathy for this, most households don't need so many vehicles on their property.

This problem is very prevalent in the Ardmore neighborhood. Some homes have been bought out by investors and rented out as Section-8 houses to lower-income residents who prop their car up on cinder blocks in their yard or use it as a driveway. It makes other's property values go down and ruins the neighborhood's aesthetic appeal. I am in full support of this law.

While I agree that there should be some reasonable control over what people do on their property when it affects the properties around them, I don't see how this law is enforceable. What is the reasonable definition of ones front lawn? If I paved my entire front lawn or put down gravel does that allow me to park on it? What if I have a U-Shaped driveway that runs through my front yard?

I can't wait for all these people to move their cars in to the street in front of their houses.

yea there may be loop holes to get around that. It depends on the wording of the law. When you say lawn that typically means on grass. So what if you were parking on a big dirt patch or gravel like you said?

I am also not a big fan of neighborhood associations, at least in newly built neighborhoods. Now I can understand if its a historic neighborhood. My sister lives in a subdivision that was built about 10 years ago and its one of those neighborhood associations. You have to get permission from the association to do any kind of construction on your property and you are limited to what you can do. You cant have certain fences. You cant have above ground pools and you had to use the mailbox that was put there when the house was built and the list goes on. The best thing to do is buy a single plot outside the city and build your own house so you can what ever you want to do on your own property. If im paying for it and its mine I expect to do as I please.

But I really dont know if this law is even needed in Greensboro because I've rarely seen alot of people parking cars on their lawns. Most people tend to take pride in keeping up their lawns anyway.

Edited by cityboi

Greensboro police officers get Segways, primarily for use in the downtown area. Cities like Atlanta have been using them for some time now. Charlotte and Raleigh police also use them downtown.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/07...ller_on_segways

segway2photo.jpg

Edited by cityboi

I just want to thank FOX8 for alerting the ENTIRE Triad to the cheap gas on Peters Creek PKWY. Every station (especially the Hess/Wilco at Silas Creek/Peters Creek) is packed on the verge of needing crowd control! Now I have to wait in lines reminescent of the Katrina shortage scares to get gas! :angry:

FYI-Gas was $3.73 here yesterday, in other areas of W-S it was $3.89-$3.99.

I am also not a big fan of neighborhood associations, at least in newly built neighborhoods. Now I can understand if its a historic neighborhood. My sister lives in a subdivision that was built about 10 years ago and its one of those neighborhood associations. You have to get permission from the association to do any kind of construction on your property and you are limited to what you can do. You cant have certain fences. You cant have above ground pools and you had to use the mailbox that was put there when the house was built and the list goes on. The best thing to do is buy a single plot outside the city and build your own house so you can what ever you want to do on your own property. If im paying for it and its mine I expect to do as I please.

Not picking on you in particular cityboi, but I find it very interesting on this board that everyone seems to 'hate' HOA's in new subdivisions while no-one seems to mind building associations (same thing) or Historical Neighborhood Associations which can be set-up to do the same things an HOA in a new subdivision does. Aren't they all trying to achieve the same thing? And if an HOA isn't for you there are still many neighborhoods where they don't exist.

HOA's aren't necessarily a bad thing, it's more on the people who run them, how they interpret the rules, and how even handed they enforce them. They can actually be a tool to help make the subdivison feel more like a neighborhood.

I just want to thank FOX8 for alerting the ENTIRE Triad to the cheap gas on Peters Creek PKWY. Every station (especially the Hess/Wilco at Silas Creek/Peters Creek) is packed on the verge of needing crowd control! Now I have to wait in lines reminescent of the Katrina shortage scares to get gas! :angry:

Tell me about it...

I went to gasbuddy.com out of curiosity a month ago to see who had the lowest price in town. I was surprised to find out that nearly every station along Peters Creek was about $3.79-3.85. If I'm in the area, I always try to gas up here.

Has anyone seen this website? It's called digitalforsyth.org, and it's a compilation of various library photo collection in Forsyth county. There are 1000's of pics digitally stored there.

I looked at the 'structures' category and they have over 2100 images in that category. It was sad to see some of the amazing buildings which used to be in downtown Winston that were gone by the 60's. There also were some interesting photos of parades, fires, etc. If you got some time, check it out! :thumbsup:

Now ALL of the locals will know:

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/ju...direction/?news

Not that it is a bad thing (as we all need a little relief), but the crowds will be extremely difficult to deal with, as you mentioned.

Asheboro is no longer a dry town :) Until yesterday voters in Asheboro said no to alcohol legalization every decade since 1965. Why the change now? "Its the economy stupid". They realize that legalizing alcohol by mixed drinks it will help their economy and attract more restaurants there. For a small town like Asheboro, thats a big thing and they will no longer have to drive to Greensboro to get a mixed drink or go to the ABC store. This was a big and heated campaign thats received state-wide attention. Asheboro was the largest dry city in the state.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/07...mes_to_asheboro

BTW here are photos of Downtown Asheboro courtesy of Ditzy Chic

2243813004_cd223ff777.jpg

2243810998_9e86f6b61f.jpg

2243890106_d33fded7ff.jpg

2243013221_331417be33.jpg

2242995789_f3a3e3dd6e.jpg

2243835742_4833222a75.jpg

2244818193_0906450c09.jpg

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

Obama made a surprise visit to Greensboro today. He stayed at the O'Henry Hotel last night and appeared at the Greensboro Farmers Market across from War Memorials Stadium just outside of downtown Greensboro. He also worked out and played basketball at Grimsley High School.

articles and photos from the News & Record

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/08...reensboro_today

http://mm.news-record.com/legacy/indepth/08/obama_082008/

Edited by cityboi

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello? Hello? Is Anyone in here? The Triad Forum has been awful quiet lately.....

since the "economic crisis" with housing and the banks appears to have halted alot of urban projects in the Triad, I guess there isnt much to talk about now :(

Edited by cityboi

Just an observation as the national economy heads towards 'depression' (IMO), it's distressing to see all the armed robberies plagueing the Triad at the moment. Last night the Vitamin Shoppe on Hanes Mall Circle was robbed and earlier this week a Food Lion in Greensboro was robbed. It seems daily that multiple robberies are happening in Winston-Salem and Greensboro.

It's also distressing that both major cities are now dealing with budgetary woes that will most likely put the brakes on any city financial backing to proposed projects.

I'm going to venture a guess that John Daly, a PGA Tour player, will probably not do any commercials for the Winston-Salem Visitor's Board after the events of this past weekend.

John Daly was 'detained' after passing out drunk outside of Hooter's Restaurant on Hanes Square Circle in Winston-Salem around 1am Sunday. He was beligerent, uncooperative, and had no means of transporting himself away. The police decided he needed 24 hrs in jail to 'sober up.'

I hope John gets a wake up call *again* and tries to get help for is problem. If not, alcohol is evidently going to kill this man.

Read about it here.

Edited by suburban george3