Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

Jefferson Standard souvenir building. I cant believe I found this! My mom has one exactly like it. She got it from her grandmother years ago! didnt know they still made them after all these decades.

1_bldgs_5_4.jpg

http://www.cuttingedgecatalog.com/buildings_1.shtml

Here is one of the Durham Life Insurance co

1_bldgs_26_5.jpg

National Bank of Wilson

1_bldgs_17_5.jpg

These were the only three buildings in NC from this company.

but you can get the BOA tower in Charlotte from another company

boachar1.jpg

The RJR building in Winston

http://www.infocustech.com/iftstore/proddetail.asp?prod=322

rj%20reynolds%20100%20256.jpg

great website btw for building collectors

http://www.infocustech.com/iftstore/default.asp

Edited by cityboi

Greensboro family makes it to the top 6 in the "Singing Family Face Off" competition sponsored by the CBS Early Morning Show.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/02...ording_contract

There song can be heard here:

The Peay Family "We Can Make a Change"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/10/...in4790097.shtml

Edited by cityboi

The N&R has a piece about the Oscar Night America event held Sunday night at the Carolina Theatre in downtown Greensboro. Apparently, there was dinner before at 223 S. Elm and a silent auction upstairs. Read it here.

Really one of the best local stories I've read in a while. Good to see the Triad community coming together to support the local arts. And it sounded like a fun event. I wish I had heard about it before now.

This is for those odds and ends that don't really fit in any existing thread and don't really warrant threads of their own.

Where do you all shop or visit most often, Four Seasons or Friendly Center? I work at a store in the Friendly center, but I prefer visiting and shopping (occassionally) at Four Seasons Town Centre. Friendly Center is too spread out and impersonal, kind of like Super Wal-mart.

Wet' n Wild Emerald Pointe unveils new ride. Only one of two like it in the nation.

45169372.jpg

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/02...ounces_new_ride

Emer_Map_White.jpg

I've lived in Greensboro my entire life but never visited Emeral Pointe, what is it like?

Remember when it used to be Water Country USA?

I remember the name before the waterpark even opened. "Aqua Gardens". Apparently this water park had been planned years before its construction because the name coincides with "Busch Gardens" which btw was suppose to be built less than a mile a way on the site of what we now call Grandover. When the land deal went bad, the brewery and theme park was built in Williamsburg, VA. It could explain why the name of the water park was changed before it opened. Ironically the waterpark near Busch Gardens in Virginia is called Water Country USA today.

For waterpark standards, Wet n' Wild Emerald Pointe is a big park. Its almost half the size of Carowinds and there is plently of land for expansion if they build where there is now parking. I do know there is alot of parking area. A parking deck could be built to replace some lost parking. That way the wave pool would be more at the center of the park instead of at the edge.

Edited by cityboi

I've lived in Greensboro my entire life but never visited Emeral Pointe, what is it like?

I have friends visit from all over the country and they are all overly impressed with Emerald Pointe. It has been rated one of the best water parks in the country and they continue to do a good job! They are indeed an asset to the Triad!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Peay Family from Greensboro makes final 3 in CBS early morning show family face off. The Greensboro area is filled with musical talent from Fantasia to Chris Daughtry and now the Peay Family. Watch their performance and VOTE!!!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/10/...in4790097.shtml

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like my worst nightmare is coming to North Carolina, starting with Greensboro. Business Week has an article that came out yesterday that says Time Warner Cable is expanding its new bandwidth capping structure into several other cities, including Greensboro. Apparently Greensboro is the next to get the new pricing and bandwidth capping. I'd be curious to see what you guys that have TWC as your Internet provider think about this?

I don't live in Greensboro, my cable comes from Time Warner Cable - Charlotte, but this hits very close to home considering it is so close. I track my bandwidth usage each month and typically I hover around 100GB of usage. The new TWC plan offers only 40GB at it the most premium tier ($54.90) with each 1GB after that being charged at $1. Under this plan I would have to pay TWC $114.90 to keep the same usage I currently have.

Once TWC announcing expansion into my immediate area I will be switching to DSL unfortunately.

It looks like my worst nightmare is coming to North Carolina, starting with Greensboro. Business Week has an article that came out yesterday that says Time Warner Cable is expanding its new bandwidth capping structure into several other cities, including Greensboro. Apparently Greensboro is the next to get the new pricing and bandwidth capping. I'd be curious to see what you guys that have TWC as your Internet provider think about this?

I don't live in Greensboro, my cable comes from Time Warner Cable - Charlotte, but this hits very close to home considering it is so close. I track my bandwidth usage each month and typically I hover around 100GB of usage. The new TWC plan offers only 40GB at it the most premium tier ($54.90) with each 1GB after that being charged at $1. Under this plan I would have to pay TWC $114.90 to keep the same usage I currently have.

Once TWC announcing expansion into my immediate area I will be switching to DSL unfortunately.

Time Warner blows! I've had to replace my box twice in the last 3 months and I'll be doing it again today! Imagine what a little competition could do for the local cable market. Comcast...where are you?

Even though I have Time Warner Cable, fortunately I get free wireless internet access at my apartment through my laptop so I wont be affected. But yes I would hate the metered usage plan. It will really hit people in the pocket who download a lot of movies and other multimedia files. Also those who do a lot of work on the internet, building websites or even managing a forum like this. More and more people are primarily using the internet for downloading multi-media files so Time Warner is going to loses some customers. I talked with my mom today and she said she is changing her internet service provider. I think people are going to switch to AOL or NetZero. The Satellite internet services with DirectTV and Dish Network are still too expensive but the dish companies could really seize an opportunity here if they can figure out how to lower their rates.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/top/article.a...55&catid=14

Edited by cityboi

Looks like Greensboro residents and city council are showing their disgust at Time Warner's move to put a meter on internet usage. A few city council member said that council could actively seek to bring competition to Greensboro. City officials have said that AT&T has been in negotiations to bring its AT&T U-Verse line of phone, cable TV and high-speed internet services to the Triad. What a dumb move Time Warner is making. They are shooting their own self in the foot. I've already talked to a dozen people who have said they are changing their internet service.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/04..._on_time_warner

Edited by cityboi

Today the NCAA final four mens basketball championship game seem to be headed in the direction of taking place in mega 70,000 seat indoor football stadium and big dome arenas. That means North Carolina will likely never host the Final Four again especially since Charlotte downgraded from a 24,000 seat arena to an 18,000 seat arena. The Greensboro Coliseum has 23,500 seats and there is talk of adding an additional 2,000 seats bringing the seating capacity to almost 26,000. That would make it the largest arena in the country without major sports tenant. But in the age of super domes and big indoor football facilities that seat 60,000 to 70,000 people, it looks like that wont be enough but the additional seats does a few things. It helps keep the ACC tournament in Greensboro more often and it may help Greensboro's bid in future 3rd round regional games as the city continues to market itself as "Tourney Town". North Carolina has hosted the championship game twice. The first was the 1974 Final Four being held in Greensboro (UCLA vs NC State). The second was the 1994 Final Four in Charlotte (Duke vs Arkansas). Greensboro did host the the 3rd round east regional game back in 1998. Thats a step below the Final Four. Here are a few clips from those glory days before the Final Four championship games headed off for the big domes and football stadiums.

1974 NCAA FINAL FOUR CHAMPIONSHIP GAME (Greensboro, North Carolina)

(in 1974 there was no such thing as the 3 point line in college basketball as you will see in the clip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whIPLxAXGc4

1994 NCAA FINAL FOUR CHAMPIONSHIP GAME (Charlotte, North Carolina)

Edited by cityboi

good post cityboi. there was a lot of criticism regarding how this year's venue and the general trend of mega-arenas squash the pageantry of tournament basketball. bigger is not better; ford field looked hollow and lacked the frenzied intimacy that is synonymous with college basketball. the greensboro coliseum is a great host to the acc tournament and has successfully hosted the final four in the past (1974 was a classic!); it could be successful again. lets hope more folks demand that the final four returns to venues that better honors the traditions and rivalries of college basketball; and yes, lets hope it returns to tobacco road!

good post cityboi. there was a lot of criticism regarding how this year's venue and the general trend of mega-arenas squash the pageantry of tournament basketball. bigger is not better; ford field looked hollow and lacked the frenzied intimacy that is synonymous with college basketball. the greensboro coliseum is a great host to the acc tournament and has successfully hosted the final four in the past (1974 was a classic!); it could be successful again. lets hope more folks demand that the final four returns to venues that better honors the traditions and rivalries of college basketball; and yes, lets hope it returns to tobacco road!

I agree with you one hundred percent. There is a tradition with college basketball and you don't mess with tradition. They are trying to make this have the feel of a major league sports game and thats not what college basketball is all about.

Almost 75,000 people attended last night's game in Detroit. The current capacity of the Greensboro Coliseum is 23,500. If the NCAA knows they have the possibility for an audience that large, the Final Four will not return to Greensboro, let alone any city in North Carolina.

TRIAD & NC TRIVIA

- Did you that Randolph and Rockingham County use to be part of Guilford County?

- Did you know the original location of Wake Forest University use to be in the town of Wake Forest in the Triangle?

- Did you know the original location of Duke University was in Trinity in Randolph County? Duke University was founded there in 1838 and was moved to Durham in 1892.

- Did you know that the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is the oldest state university in the United States?

- Did you know the first miniature golf course built in the country was in Pinehurst, NC?

- Did you know that Biscuitville and Cook Out are based in Greensboro?

- Did you know that Babe Ruth hit his first home run in Fayetteville on March 7, 1914

- Did you know that Pepsi was invented and first served in New Bern in 1898

- Did you know for a brief period beginning April 16, 1865, the capital of North Carolina was maintained in Greensboro

- Did you know that Greensboro was once the capital of the Confederate States of America?

- Did you know that North Carolina has the largest state-maintained highway system in the United States. The state's highway system currently has 77,400 miles of roads.

Edited by cityboi