Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

- Did you know that Greensboro was once the capital of the Confederate States of America?

I'd like to know your source for this.. the three regarded capitals of the CSA were Montgomery, AL; Richmond, VA; and Danville, VA. (please, something beside wikipedia)

From the website www.jeffersondavis.net, Greensboro is only credited with a conference being held as Davis fled from Danville. There is no city that I'm aware of that can claim the CSA tried to use as a seat of government after he fled Danville. I can find nothing to substantiate Greensboro being the capital of the CSA.

Edited by suburban george3

Greensboro was the capital of the confederacy. It was only temporary but it was the capital. There is also a historical marker in downtown Greensboro next to Natty Greene's confirming this.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/02...ped_our_history

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/245365/Greensboro

http://library.uncg.edu/dp/walkingtours/civilwarscript.pdf

Edited by cityboi

I'd like to know your source for this.. the three regarded capitals of the CSA were Montgomery, AL; Richmond, VA; and Danville, VA. (please, something beside wikipedia)

Yeah, I meant Danville, not Petersburg.

Looks like Greensboro did indeed serve as a temporary capital of the CSA. Looks like it was more de facto than official. You learn something new everyday, I suppose.

Sounds as if Time Warner Cable is delaying the roll-out of the bandwidth caps and tiers in the new test markets (I assume this also includes the testing in the Greensboro market) until October as it couldn't find enough people willing to test it for them. Keep up all of the negativity towards this and maybe they'll rethink rolling something like this out altogether. One can only hope.

*EDIT*

Apparently the roll-out in Greensboro and Rochester are still happening as planned, TWC is only delaying the roll-out in San Antonio and Austin.

actually they are delaying it for Greensboro as well. Time Warner faced an uproar here. City Council threatened to take actions and customers protested at Time Warner in Greensboro.

To my understanding, there is still a protest planned for tomorrow at 11am at Time Warner's offices in Greensboro over this..

• 3 weeks later...

actually they are delaying it for Greensboro as well. Time Warner faced an uproar here. City Council threatened to take actions and customers protested at Time Warner in Greensboro.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/04...cing_plan_in_ny

I switched to AT&T Extreme DSL over the weekend in preparation for this (and to save a bit of cash ^_^ ). A VERY good alternative if these horrible plans ever come to fruition...

more NC Trivia. Did you know that Krispy Kreme was founded because of a poker match? the founder of Krispy Kreme won the secret recipe from a French Chef in a poker match. If he had lost, Krispy Kreme would never had existed.

Edited by cityboi

And, according to story, the founder of Krispy Kreme was wondering where to locate his doughnut company (from somewhere in Tennessee - perhaps Nashville) when he whipped out a pack of Camel cigarettes, and noticed Winston-Salem on the side, and thought to himself that a place with such international exposure (this was the 1930s) is where I want my doughnut operation, and so... This might be apocryphal, and the first location was actaully in Salem (as in Old Salem).

Edited by yadkinv

• 1 month later...

I have a question. I wonder why the Triad became home to two \"exotic\" car dealerships? High Point has a Bentley dealership and Greensboro has a Lamborghini dealership. There aren\'t that many of either of those dealerships around the country and the places where they are located are in big cities or extremely high income areas such as Beverly Hills and Palm Beach. The Triad seems to be an anomaly. Greensboro is also home to Foreign Cars Italia which sells Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Marton and Porche.

Lamborghini Carolinas (Greensboro)-the location is strange because its located on W Wendover Ave a good ways from the interstates where there would be higher visibilty.

Front1-tn-lc.jpg

Bentley High Point

bhp_sales_01.jpg

Edited by cityboi

I have a question. I wonder why the Triad became home to two \"exotic\" car dealerships? High Point has a Bentley dealership and Greensboro has a Lamborghini dealership. There aren\'t that many of either of those dealerships around the country and the places where they are located are in big cities or extremely high income areas such as Beverly Hills and Palm Beach. The Triad seems to be an anomaly. Greensboro is also home to Foreign Cars Italia which sells Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Marton and Porche.

Lamborghini Carolinas (Greensboro)-the location is strange because its located on W Wendover Ave a good ways from the interstates where there would be higher visibilty.

Front1-tn-lc.jpg

Bentley High Point

bhp_sales_01.jpg

I doubt there are that many people who would see a Lamborghini dealership while on the interestate and say to themselves, "hey, today seems like a good day to drop $200k on a new sports car!" I guess what I'm trying to say is that the people who can afford these kinds of sports cars won't be deterred because of location.

The lamborghini dealership used to be located in Kernersville or Stokesdale if I'm not mistaken. It moved to Greensboro to raise its profile. But also the owner stated that Greensboro is a strategic location because its in the middle of North Carolina and not that far away from South Carolina.

I have no idea about the Bentley dealership. I do find it strange, however, that its located near a dairy plant.

I doubt there are that many people who would see a Lamborghini dealership while on the interestate and say to themselves, "hey, today seems like a good day to drop $200k on a new sports car!" I guess what I'm trying to say is that the people who can afford these kinds of sports cars won't be deterred because of location.

The lamborghini dealership used to be located in Kernersville or Stokesdale if I'm not mistaken. It moved to Greensboro to raise its profile. But also the owner stated that Greensboro is a strategic location because its in the middle of North Carolina and not that far away from South Carolina.

I have no idea about the Bentley dealership. I do find it strange, however, that its located near a dairy plant.

Bentley is located in a strange location. Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro sells a number of exotic brand cars and that dealership fronts I-40. While a second exotic car dealership in Greensboro (Summerfield) sells similar cars. "Sport Auto" I mean you can buy a Lotus there. its amazing that the Greensboro area has so many exotic car dealerships. Even though I can understand Greensboro's central location, you would still expect to see the Bentley and Lamborghini dealership in Charlotte.

http://www.sportauto.us/03_contact_locations.htm

http://www.foreigncarsitalia.com/

Edited by cityboi

• 3 weeks later...

City officials say that Winston-Salem's population is once again, greater than what the US census in reporting. City/county planning director, Paul Norby sent an email to the Census Bureau stating that the city plans to appeal. The difference is around 9,000 residents according to the Census Bureau's data. Since the first appeal was awarded in January of this year, the new figure, 226,000, was not counted as part of the 2008 total. The state has W-S's population listed as 224,889 for 2007. The city still estimates the population to be close to 228,000 for 2007. The mayor estimates between 230,000-235,000 for the 2010 census.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious what everyone's opinion is on all the bear sightings we've had recently in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Yadkin County. I know it's caused a lot of conversation.

Of course, tragically, a bear was shot by the Winston-Salem Police Dept. I know Chief Cunnigham is defending his officers' actions, but I am concerned it wasn't handled appropriately. This past Dec., a couple had hit a deer in front of my neighborhood and were waiting in a disabled vehicle for a policeman to file a report. No less than 4 Forsyth Co. Sheriff deputies and Winston-Salem Police officers came by, not to file the report but to see if they could 'discharge their firearm (exact quote)' into the animal. It's my concern that this 'desire' to shoot off their guns outweighed common sense on how to deal with this unfortunate wild animal.

I have been in New Mexico for the last three weeks backpacking and, as you would imagine, wildlife was very common. They fear no one out there as they aren't hunted. Deer would get within 10 feet of you and wild turkey would cross your path. There was one time when my friends and I were hiking early one morning and came around a bend near a creek to encounter a black bear attached to a side of a tree eating. There had to be, at most, 20 feet between us and the bear. He heard us, turned around and looked at us for several seconds, and then went back to eating. We were told that they only attack if they feel threatened or if you have food in your campsite/tent. Technically, they don't mean to attack you when they're in search of food as they're just trying to get to it. Other than that, they'll leave you alone. I can understand how people would be afraid, especially if they've never seen one before. But, this situation could have been dealt with more humanely. WE are the ones that have destroyed their habitat, yet we kill them when they're migrating, have lost their way, or are in a few garbage cans. I would absolutely hate to think the police officers wanted to shoot the bear for fun, but after George's testimony I'm starting to think twice. I want to say that this is a case where the officers didn't know what to do and were trying to protect the neighborhood as they considered it a threat. Maybe an Andy and Barney stereotype would fit here?

what I find about today's newscasts is that they are cookie cutter like with no originality like in the 1980s and earlier. Even the same intro songs are used on news stations all across the country.

But I use to hate the WFMY Good Morning Show theme back in the 80s and 90s because it was my wake up alarm to go to school LOL

Edited by cityboi