Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

here is Cindy Farmer and Greg Hunter on WFMY. This was sometime in the late 1980s. Greg Hunter. Today you may have seen Greg Hunter on CNN. He is their consumer correspondent. Greg Hunter use to co-host PM Magazine with Sandra Hughes on WFMY.

Edited by cityboi

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

History was made in Greensboro back in 2008 when Mayor Yvonne Johnson became the city's first African-American mayor and it looks like Greensboro could possibly have its first African-American city manager.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/08...manager_tuesday

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton...job-268996.html

Rashad Young is currently the city manager in Dayton, OH

RashadYoung.jpg

The city of Greensboro is progressing in having African-Americans and other minorities in high positions in city government. This is great for the city and its image.

Mayor Yvonne Johnson

johnsonpic.jpg

Greensboro Police Chief Tim Bellamy

timbellamy.jpg

Mo Green (Superintendent for Guilford County Schools)

green_maurice.jpg

Melvin "Skip" Alston (chair of the Guilford County Commissioners)

alston.jpg

Edited by cityboi

Nazi white supremacist group held its east coast conference in Greensboro today. The location of the meeting has been kept secret by the group and also by the city to prevent history from repeating itself. In 1979 there was a deadly shoot out in Greensboro between white supremacists and protesters which made national news. 30 years later the city does not want that to happen again. the conference was held in a hotel in western Greensboro but the News & Record agreed not to disclose the hotel name because members of the group are staying over night there.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/08...ers_stick_to_di

Edited by cityboi

Yea I am not a big fan of the comment section they have for news articles. What you get a lot of are whiney people who want to complain and criticize everything. People who want to gripe are the ones who mostly post comments.

It's the same for the Winston-Salem Journal... there seem to be a plethora of morons who post and hardly anyone of intelligence. If anyone of intelligence makes a post they are summarily attacked.

• 2 weeks later...

what I find about today's newscasts is that they are cookie cutter like with no originality like in the 1980s and earlier. Even the same intro songs are used on news stations all across the country.

But I use to hate the WFMY Good Morning Show theme back in the 80s and 90s because it was my wake up alarm to go to school LOL

This isnt local news but its my favorite intro of all time

I was at Trader Joe's in Chapel Hill and the checkout clerk told me that they've signed a lease to open a Greensboro location in 2010. He couldn't tell me the street of the location, but said it was in a shopping center that had a Harris Teeter and an old Sears building. I'm assuming he was talking about the Lawndale Commons shopping center with Target and Petsmart.

The only other area in town with a old or current sears location would be Friendly Center, which also has a Harris Teeter. So I suppose it could go there.

In other news, The Greensboro Coliseum snagged one of the 34 concert dates for the much-hyped Fame Kills tour featuring Kanye West and Lady Gaga. The coliseum staff certainly deserves kudos for continuing to book big names and headliners.

Edited by beyonce245

• 4 weeks later...

Someone opened their car door into mine, apparently with approximately the force of a small tank. Seriously, this dent's off the hook. Could someone recommend a place in Greensboro to have it repaired? I'd like to go with the whole paintless dent repair thing, but I just need a recommendation for quality. Thanks!

Note: tried to post this to Triad Off Topic but flubbed up somewhere. My bad.

Edited by greensbohemian

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a rumor, so please take it as just that. A friend has told me that there will NOT be a tree lighting this year due to budget constraints. I don't really know if this means that we won't have a tree and will go back to the pole or they're canceling it altogether. If this is true, I am appalled. Yes, it may be deemed "unnecessary" by the powers that be, but this lighting really brings all citizens in the community together. I think THAT is what is important during these hard times...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Greensboro City Council will consider adopting the recently completed Land Development Ordinance, which updates the city's land use plan that was put in place in 1992. I haven't been able to read much of it's 514 pages. But from what I have, I like what I see. It seems to encourage more mixed use and higher density developments, reduces setback requirements to foster more pedestrian-friendly developments and provides incentives for transit oriented developments.

The draft was passed last night by both the city planning board and zoning commission, so the plan has a good chance of being adopted by council in February when they take it up.

Read more about the LDO here.

Edited by beyonce245

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

major league soccer team will train and play an exhibition game in Greensboro

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/01/21/article/mls_team_to_train_in_greensboro

Would be nice to see Greensboro get major league soccer one day. The city is known for its soccer program and team "Carolina Dynamo".

Edited by cityboi

American Idol contestant from Greensboro advances to Hollywood. First there was Fantasia, then Chris Daughtry. Will Austin Simmons be next?

http://www.americanidol.com/videos/season_9/golden_ticket_interviews/austin_simmons/

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/01/21/article/triad_contestant_advances_in_idol_auditions

Edited by cityboi