Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

X Factor clearly made people from out of town think Greensboro is some hick small country town

"This past weekend, my husband and I visited Louisville, Ky. As we checked into our hotel, the clerk noted we were from Greensboro."That's where the 'X Factor' auditions were!" she exclaimed. "Looked like everyone in the whole town was there for that. We walked away grumbling about the fact that someone in Louisville thought Greensboro was a small hick town, thanks to "The X Factor."

http://www.bizjourna...ok.html?ana=twt

With a little video editing and over exaggeration, you can make people believe anything. When they show clips of a deserted downtown followed by a woman saying the streets are empty because everyone is at the auditions and then another woman saying Greensboro is known for country music and grits, you can see how many would view Greensboro as a small hick sleepy country town. X factor made a city of almost 300,000 people look like a town of 20,000 people. I know some of my Winston-Salem friends on the other forums are getting a kick out of this.

This isn't the first time Greensboro has been misrepresented. A New York Post writer called Greensboro a "derelict southern town" when she was writing about the John Edwards trial which was held in Greensboro. She actually said "the town of Greensboro"

Check out her New York Post article and all the comments below from angry Greensboro residents and people not from Greensboro defending the city.

There are over 70 comments but here are several samples from angry posters under her aricle.

- "As a New York transplant to Greensboro, it's FAR from derelict down here. Let me say in a language that we New Yorkers can understand: F- -k you and your assessment of Greensboro."

- "Greensboro is a city not a town. Terrible piece of journalism."

- "Who the f is this person! Derelict southern town? I am a transplanted New Yorker, living here in the Charlotte, NC area, and would never use language like that to down talk a town like that. I think more people are going to be upset with the comments about Greensboro than this article about John Edwards. Maybe the derelict is the person writing the article. Perhaps she owes an apology to Greensboro. But, also being from NY, I would expect nothing less than a piece of crap article from the Post, which is one step higher than the Star or the Enquirer. All pinnacles of journalism at its best."

- "The NY Post is two steps away from The National Enquirer, with their tacky headlines and ignorant writing."

- "this derelict Southern town of Greensboro" - Wow, what an idiot. Wonder where she got her journalism degree...online?"

- "Don't like Greensboro? Keep your Yankee a-s home!"

- "YOU ARE AN IDIOT. GREENSBORO IS A "DERELICT SOUTHERN TOWN" IN YOUR OPINION? NO WONDER YOU CAN'T GET A BETTER JOB THAN WORKING FOR THAT TABLOID RAG. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THEN SHUT YOUR YANKEE A-S UP."

- "Who in the holy hell is this raging lunatic? Good lord, take a valium and lose the venom, sister! Your depictions are off the charts across the board."

- "This article is pure junk journalism. Do your home work lady you don't know what you are talking about."

- "That coming from New York City? Take a good look around at your city before trashing ours!"

- "Does our lack of prostitutes on the corners and homeless people in the alleys make us destitute? Does the fact that we can walk the sidewalks of downtown without being mugged make us destitute? "

- "suck it"

http://www.nypost.co...TF8kHBbxgZ6LopM

Edited by cityboi

• 1 month later...

Greensboro to host 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships

For the second time Greensboro will host the U.S. Figure Skating Championships. The championships will be held on Jan. 18-25, 2015. In 2011 Greensboro hosted the championships which was broadcast live on national TV and in some countries. It was cool that the city got so much national exposure. NBC showed aerial footage of downtown Greensboro and the coliseum

http://www.news-reco...to-host-2015-us

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Winston-Salem MSA added the Thomasville-Lexington micropolitan area (Davidson County) to its MSA according to the most recent configurations. This gives the Winston-Salem MSA a 2010 population of 640,595. This makes it the fourth-largest in the state, bypassing the Durham-Chapel Hill MSA.

• Like 1

That's a stretch, too large of one, both of those are more associated with High Point, in my experience, by FAR.  Perhaps the numbers bear it but not sure I believe those numbers.

Particularly Thomasville which is more associated with High Point than Forsyth County. But I guess it either has to be the whole county or none of it. 

A little vintage footage from 1974. The NCAA Final Four championship game at the Greensboro Coliseum. Greensboro had just recently expanded the coliseum to 15,000 seat at the time. (In 1974 a 15,000 seat arena was considered big) It was the first time the Final Four was held in North Carolina. The state wouldn't see another Final Four until 1994 in Charlotte. However in 1998 Greensboro hosted the East Regional games which was one of the final venues before the Final Four. The city has also been the site of a number of 1st and 2nd round games. Because the Final Four is now being held in domed 70,000 seat stadiums, North Carolina will probably never host it again unless at some point in the future the Carolina Panthers get a new stadium with a retractable roof.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

Damn that simply reminds me of old Celtics games (I have them on video), different area, different game.  Nice.  I suppose NC's best chance may be to expand the Coliseum yet again, that one would be expensive though.

Yes the roof would have to be raised again and the foot print of the building would have to grow LOL.....hey never say never. They have been able to do so many things at that coliseum without using public money.

• 2 weeks later...

Many people don't realize that a state/regional tv network is based in Greensboro. Black Network Television serves 28 counties in North Carolina including Wake, Mecklenburg counties and some areas of Virginia. The network is growing and could one day be on cable channels all across America like BET. The owners of the network hope to help make Greensboro "Hollywood South" Programming on the network has already secured interviews with African-American actors and actresses. Actress Kim Fields was in Greensboro today for business related to Black Network Television. The Triad has the opportunity to become a major television/film making region with networks such as this, the UNC School of the Arts and the National Black Theatre Festival in Winston-Salem. A number of major movies have  also been filmed in Greensboro and Winston-Salem in recent years.

http://www.blacknetworktelevision.com

Edited by cityboi

The owners of the network hope to help make Greensboro "Hollywood South" Programming on the network has already secured interviews with African-American actors and actresses. 

^Greensboro as Hollywood of the South?   From one local tv station available in less than a third of the state?  :whistling:

I think Wilmington is the only city in North Carolina that has the actual capabilities, resources, and studio backing to even aim for and make a claim at that title both now and into the foreseeable future.  

Next up (in North Carolina) would be Charlotte which has national broadcast/cable Speed TV (soon to be a Fox Sports network), and ESPNU - both are nationally available channels, plus the hit Showtime show Homeland being filmed here (as well as multiple movies).  Add to it the possible building of film studios at Eastland with proposed film school (not a certainty) and even with all of that Charlotte would still pale in comparison to Wilmington for the sheer size of its film business.

I think it's great that Greensboro is the home of Black Network Television - particularly as I understand BET has had lost viewers for a while so there's a market for them to catch up - but a tv station (broadcast/cable/satellite)  will not make the city the Hollywood of the South - Hell - if that was case Atlanta would have had that title a long time ago as the HQ for CNN, TNT, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, and TruTV.

Edited by Urbanity

In terms of investment in the film/arts I would think the Triad ranks second after Wilmington thanks to efforts in Winston-Salem and the UNC School of the Arts (the premier film school in NC). Particularly with the number of major and independent movies filmed in Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point. I do agree Hollywood South is a stretch...at least for now. But of course the station owners are going to exaggerate a bit.

I do think Winston-Salem should use part of its newly named "Wake Forest Innovation Quarter" (Piedmont Triad Research Park) in downtown Winston-Salem for a major film studio. It could work in conjunction with animation and computer technology research that will one day take place in the Quarter. Also the streets of downtown Winston-Salem would serve as excellent backdrop for films with 4th St, the skyscrapers and the old tobacco warehouses. Winston-Salem is nicknamed "The City of the Arts and Innovation" and I think the city has the resources and the drive to turn the area into a large film production community. Winston-Salem has many advantages over Greensboro in this area and this leads me scratching my head as to why the Piedmont Triad Film Commission is based in Greensboro.

Edited by cityboi

Every Friday and Saturday night in May and June there will be block parties within a two block area of the International Civil Rights Museum. It will include pop up plazas with patterns on the street, light displays, greenery and seating.

Discover Downtown Greensboro

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of investment in the film/arts I would think the Triad ranks second after Wilmington thanks to efforts in Winston-Salem and the UNC School of the Arts (the premier film school in NC). Particularly with the number of major and independent movies filmed in Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point. I do agree Hollywood South is a stretch...at least for now. But of course the station owners are going to exaggerate a bit.

I do think Winston-Salem should use part of its newly named "Wake Forest Innovation Quarter" (Piedmont Triad Research Park) in downtown Winston-Salem for a major film studio. It could work in conjunction with animation and computer technology research that will one day take place in the Quarter. Also the streets of downtown Winston-Salem would serve as excellent backdrop for films with 4th St, the skyscrapers and the old tobacco warehouses. Winston-Salem is nicknamed "The City of the Arts and Innovation" and I think the city has the resources and the drive to turn the area into a large film production community. Winston-Salem has many advantages over Greensboro in this area and this leads me scratching my head as to why the Piedmont Triad Film Commission is based in Greensboro.

uhm - I would say no.

I just looked at the list of concrete proof - the NC Film commission listing of projects for the last two years (last year and this) and it is mainly Wilmington and then Charlotte followed by the Triad.  I list at the end of my post the current productions.

Just take a look at the Charlotte Film Commission Portfolio listing of Films, TV productions and production resources and I defy you to find an equal list of the Triad. 

I want to be clear - this is not to minimize the Triad nor the UNC School of the Arts (which I love) but your comments that the Triad ranks above Charlotte in actual film/TV production valuer when the proof is indisputable that you are incorrect.

I do think that Winston Salem should pursue/maximize advantadges with the Film School at the School of the Arts. 

NC Film Commission current Productions:

Tammy
Feature - Studio 
Production taking place in the Wilmington Region

The Honeymoon
Feature - Local Independent  
Production taking place in the Westerm NC Region

The Ruckers
Television Reality Series  
Production taking place in the Charlotte Region

Under The Dome
Television Series  

Untitled HBO Television Series
Television Series  

Shuffleton's Barbershop
Made-for-Television Movie  

Careful What You Wish For
Feature - Independent
Production taking place in the Charlotte & Western NC Regions

Widow Creek
Feature - Independent  
Production taking place in the Piedmont Triad Region

Sleepy Hollow
Television Pilot  

The World Made Straight
Feature - Independent  
Production taking place in the Western NC Region

Banshee - Season 2
Television Series   
Edited by Urbanity

• 4 weeks later...

Greensboro based Black Network Television will film a sitcom in Greensboro which will air in urban markets nationally. This week stars such as Kim Fields, Dorien Wilson, and Bern Nadette Stanis came to Greensboro to appear on the sitcom. Kim Fields starred in the Facts of Life as Tootie. Dorien Wilson starred in the 90's HBO show Dream On and Bern Nadette Stanis starred in the 1970s sitcom Good Times as Thelma. The network owners say BNT will one day rival BET.

http://www.news-record.com/news/article_12638fcc-bf71-11e2-9c62-001a4bcf6878.html

photos of the shoot

https://www.facebook.com/BlackNetworkTelevision/photos_stream

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

Greensboro based Black Network Television will film a sitcom in Greensboro which will air in urban markets nationally. This week stars such as Kim Fields, Dorien Wilson, and Bern Nadette Stanis came to Greensboro to appear on the sitcom. Kim Fields starred in the Facts of Life as Tootie. Dorien Wilson starred in the 90's HBO show Dream On and Bern Nadette Stanis starred in the 1970s sitcom Good Times as Thelma. The network owners say BNT will one day rival BET.

http://www.news-record.com/news/article_12638fcc-bf71-11e2-9c62-001a4bcf6878.html

photos of the shoot

https://www.facebook.com/BlackNetworkTelevision/photos_stream

Given how corporatized BET has become since the channel decided to stop airing music videos outside of 6-8 pm and that the network has resorted to mostly airing reruns, BNT may be on the mark.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A little more news on the sitcom - Seems sitcom unlikely to happen as city "Balked" at the idea of loaning the production company money when it discovered the owners of the company's house (which was going to be the collateral) already has a second mortgage on it. 

Near bottom of article on Greensboro City Council meeting: http://www.news-record.com/news/local_news/article_de600974-eeac-11e2-8ca0-001a4bcf6878.html

• 1 month later...

In the new movie "The Butler" starring Oprah Winfrey and Cuba Gooding Jr, The 1960 Greensboro Woolworth lunch counter sit-ins is recognized. The Greensboro sit-ins started February 1, 1960 and jump started the civil rights movement of the 1960s. Today the Woolworth store in downtown Greensboro where four NC A&T University students sat down is now the International Civil Rights Museum and Center.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/lee-daniels-butler-movie-review-article-1.1425658

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

with summer winding down, many water parks are now closed. Over the summer Wet'n Wild Emerald Pointe Water Park in Greensboro ranked in the top 10 water parks in the United States. By attendance, it ranks 12 nationwide and is the 10th largest water park in the country.

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-american-water-parks/

• Like 1

Given the hurrah over the teen curfew being reinstated in downtown Greensboro, the story about the Camel City's proposed entertainment district is the difference between Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Winston took action while the same proposal in Greensboro would probably be subject to study after study and lots of bickering amongst councilmembers and various interest groups (Exhibit A is the fight over the noise ordinance, pitting Roy Carroll vs various nightclubs if you don't believe me).

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a rundown of the various factions in Greensboro politics:

The Old Guard. These are the people with the money. They may have built the city but they are out of touch on most 21st century needs.

The Naysayers. This group liked it when the city was saddled with the pejorative “Greensboring” and more known as being a place for families. They also have their bunch of elites but nowhere close to the first group. Other characteristics include strong opposition to any referenda and strong sympathies for the previous council majority that has carried over to the local tea party group.

The Creatives. Members of the creative class which includes the likes of artists, bellydancers and various other unconventional entertainers—all of who have made the city a lot less boring since 2003. This faction has recently gotten more involved in politics. For the Creatives, it's a choice between being a part of the system and challenging it. 

The members who have done the former are backing Nancy Hoffmann in her District 4 race. It is also worth noting that District 3 councilman Zack Matheny used to be a part of SynerG before he got elected. 

Former Avant Greensboro columnist Katei Cranford has opted for the latter option by running for an at-large seat. She has been outspoken against the noise ordinance that certain members of the Old Guard have advocated.

Eastside Playmakers. Made up mostly of older black politicians. Organizations like the Simkins PAC are also the backbone of this group. Playmakers include Skip Alston, Earl Jones and Nelson Johnson. As the name suggest, they are mostly from the eastern portion of the city.

The Sideliners. Northern transplants and college students who pay little attention to local politics.

The Left Out. Disillusioned voters. They may have run for public office before, but for the most part, these voters like blogger Billy Jones are fed up with the political class.

Nightclub Kingmakers. They helped to revitalize downtown long before the bigshots got involved. In recent years, their influence has waned as wealthier residents have moved into center city and engaged in NIMBYism by shoving noise ordinances and teen curfews down their throats.