Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

A little more news on the sitcom - Seems sitcom unlikely to happen as city "Balked" at the idea of loaning the production company money when it discovered the owners of the company's house (which was going to be the collateral) already has a second mortgage on it. 

Near bottom of article on Greensboro City Council meeting: http://www.news-record.com/news/local_news/article_de600974-eeac-11e2-8ca0-001a4bcf6878.html

And this is what the city gets for its troubles...These people are shady for miles...Bye Bye Hollywood South!

http://www.news-record.com/news/local_news/article_375a0d36-4335-11e3-aa0c-001a4bcf6878.html

Edited by zalo

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The ridesharing smartphone app Uber will be available in the Triad beginning today, the Charlotte Observer reports.

The California-based company is expanding its UberX service to Greensboro, Winston-Sale, Durham, Chapel Hill, Fayetteville and Wilmington, according to the newspaper and a blog post on its website. UberX connects riders and drivers and has mostly been available in larger cities. It is already in use in Charlotte and Raleigh.

The mobile app is linked to a credit card and replaces hailing a cab or arranging for a car service. Customers download the app and the nearest available driver picks them up. A base fee of $2.43 is charged, and the customer is charged $1.46 per mile and 30 cents per minute. Uber gets a 20 percent cut and the driver keeps the remainder.

Drivers for the service are also needed in the new cities where Uber will be available. Drivers must be 21, pass a background check and have a car in good condition. Drivers can sign in and out as they're available, allowing them to set their own hours. Billy Guernier, Uber’s general manager of regional expansion, tells the newspaper that the goal is to eventually make Uber available statewide, which would be a first for the company. Uber launched in San Francisco in 2010 and has drawn criticism in many cities from those who say Uber and other rideshare services circumvent safety rules and other customer protections.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mary's Gourmet Diner will be on an episode of The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart regarding the policy in which discounts were sometimes given to people the wait staff saw giving thanks for their meals. It appears that show producers are sympathetic to Mary Haglund's side of the issue. One I share. That was a huge case of the Freedom From Religion Foundation making a mountain out of a very small mole hill. :roll:

http://www.journalnow.com/relishnow/fil ... 4fc4f.html

A new report puts three North Carolina cities among the top 35 most liveable cities for people 35 and under, as reported by the Triangle Business Journal.

Winston-Salem ranks No. 22 on the list, which is based on research website Vocativ's mining of data related to salary and employment rates, rent and utility costs, and lifestyle factors like public transportation, weather, restaurant prices and crime statistics. The site also factored in access to live music and sports. Finally, presumably because of the age of the population being studied, Vocativ also considered the price of "an ounce of high-quality weed." Charlotte ranks No. 30 and Raleigh ranks No. 31.

The top 10 cities are New York; Arlington (Texas), San Francisco, Denver, Austin, Minneapolis, Seattle, St. Paul, Madison (Wisconsin) and Portland (Oregon).

http://www.vocativ.com/interactive/culture/society/livability-index-2014/

• 2 months later...

So....  Got a friend with a business relocating from Statesville to the Triad.   My discussion with him was really interesting.

He is going to "the Dash" (he called it that)  because: "bottom line - it is a city that young businesses have a chance"  (he is in bioinformatics btw).  He is extremely excited about the Wake Forest QuInnovation Quarter btw,

That said - he has 2/3 of his staff (around 50) who decided to look for places to live in Greensboro vs. WS as they said they felt it was more lively,

Obviously there is no winner in this anecdote outside of the triad in general.  That said I think that both sides of the coin are something to consider.  My friend tells me that Greensboro is the place for living while Winston Salem is the place for work and culture.  Obviously I think the equation is going to change with the downtown performing arts center coming to GBO.  That said I think WS can be (using CLT hood terms) the NoDA/ Plaza-Midwood to GBO's Uptown if it chooses to go that rouyte.  What that requires is a significant investment in off-broadway type theatre that I think GBO would find beneath them. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A 26 year old suspect is in critical condition after a record breaking crime spree in Greensboro this afternoon. With a total of 7 crime scenes, this all ended near CityView Apartments in downtown Greensboro with police firing at the suspect. It began around 2 pm when the suspect tried to break into some homes near the Starmount neighborhood in west Greensboro then he robbed a TJ Max. After trying to flee police he hijacked two vehicles (and three other failed hijack attempts) drove through the Starmount Country Club golf course and drove over a golfer. He crashed two vehicles and finally made his way to downtown Greensboro where he broke into a home on Gorrell Street and robbed and attacked a woman. She and her child fled the scene. The suspect then went across the Street to CityView Apartments and busted through an apartment there. The resident inside the apartment fled and alerted the apartment manager. Finally the suspect ran to the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr Dr and Gate City Blvd where police shot him several times. Through the 10 mile crime stretch he assaulted at least 4 people.

Looks like this kid has been playing too many Grand Theft Auto video games. wow

http://myfox8.com/2015/10/06/suspect-in-crime-spree-across-greensboro-shot-by-police-in-critical-condition/

Edited by cityboi

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

A new Sheetz just opened yesterday in Randleman. Place was super busy as you can imagine. It is about time another gas station opened in the area as there has only been one in the area for years. I live in nearby Sophia and am always driving through here and was amazed at how fast this Sheetz was built. Snapped this pic on opening day from the Taco Bell next door and caught the Sheetz gas truck pulling up. The grand opening is Sept. 19.

1DE2E157-0335-41BE-A6B1-AAF051E74921.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Sheetz is to the rest of NC as QuikTrip is to the Charlotte metro.  The best gas station C store in the market.   But south of Kannapolis and south of Mooresville it is QT country. 

I agree Sheetz is the best gas station you can find in the Triad. Last year when I went on vacation to Florida with my family we stopped at a QT in Atlanta and Gaffney, SC. I had never been in a QT til then and have to say they were the nicest, cleanest stores I have ever been in. Wish we had QT up here but Sheetz is good too.

I am just glad Randleman finally has a nice store now. There has been talk of a Sheetz here for a long time and now it's here.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 7:21 PM, NCMike1990 said:

I agree Sheetz is the best gas station you can find in the Triad. Last year when I went on vacation to Florida with my family we stopped at a QT in Atlanta and Gaffney, SC. I had never been in a QT til then and have to say they were the nicest, cleanest stores I have ever been in. Wish we had QT up here but Sheetz is good too.

I am just glad Randleman finally has a nice store now. There has been talk of a Sheetz here for a long time and now it's here.

Being an NC native (Graham) that now resides in Wawa Country, I’ve always been amazed that Wawa has not followed Sheetz into the North Carolina market. Anecdotally I would say people generally prefer Wawa over Sheetz where their markets overlap. Undoubtedly Wawa would be a major success in NC. I’ve also wondered similar things about Biscuitville, and why it hasn’t expanded into Metro Richmond for the same reasons.... Damn I miss Biscuitville. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...