Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

GTCC plans its 4th college campus near PTI airport in Greensboro. The goal is to train people for aviation jobs in the future. GTCC already has an aviation school near the airport but having a full campus will have up to seven buildings and more class rooms. This is definatly the right track if Greensboro wants to become a major "aerotropolis"

http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/local_state/...x?storyid=85708

Edited by cityboi

• 1 month later...

The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Planning board has been working on cataloguing architectural inventory in the county. They have also come up with a Historical Resources Guidebook. It contains a history of Winston-Salem/Forsyth County and surrounding towns as well as historical maps and pictures. It also has information and forms on historical properties (tax credits, nominations, etc.) Thought you guys might want to check it out!

This link is to a PDF file. A VERY LARGE PDF File (35.2 MB). If you don't have high speed, you may want to get a copy of the report at the Forsyth County Public Library

Historic Resources in Forsyth County: A Guidebook

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the Greensboro Grasshoppers will be setting some records

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local_state/a...57&catid=57

"With this newest attendance record, the Hoppers will become the only Low-A franchise in the history of Minor League Baseball to increase its attendance in its first three years in a new stadium. In 2005, First Horizon Park welcomed 407,724 fans and 427,890 in 2006."

Hello out there!!!!

Besides your standard pet stores, I was wondering if there are pet friendly establishments in Winston.

I am especially interested in the West End District, Downtown and Reynolda Road Area...

BTW...did you know you can take leashed pets into Lowes Home Improvement, Home Depot and Blockbuster?????

did anyone else know that Louis Farrakhan is a WSSU alumnus??? :o

http://www.wssu.edu/WSSU/About/News/Farrak...all+of+Fame.htm

I didn't realize that but I think he is in W-S frequently. One time, a few years ago, when I was looking to buy a piano, he and his entourage randomly came into Piedmont Music Center while I was there. I'm not sure if he bought a Steinway or anything, but he seemed interested (which is slightly odd, unless he has a place in Winston).

• 2 weeks later...

congratulations to Rams of WSSU for winning their first Circle City Classic yesterday in Indy. The Rams defeated the FAMU Rattlers in front of a crowd of 40,000 fans and was broadcasted live on the NFL network. great exposure for the school and city! and this should help in recruiting for next years squad.

this win proves that WSSU is competitive with D1 schools, and the decision to jump a division was right!

After the Departure or Ray Gibbs, Downtown Greensboro, Inc gets a new preisdent. His name is Ed Wolverton. Ed briefly served as Downtown Greensboro Inc's president back in 1997 and 1998. He left DGI (Ray Gibbs took over) and became president of Witchita Downtown Development Corp in Kansas where under his reign many high dollar projects were under construction including a new $205 million downtown arena. Ed also helped develope other downtowns in Savannah and Charlotte.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/71011023

WSSU Ranked Among Top HBCUs by US News & World Report. Winston-Salem State University has been ranked 12th in the nation among top HBCU's in its first ever ranking by U.S. News & World Report.

1. Spelman College (GA)

2. Howard University (DC)

3. Hampton University (VA)

4. Morehouse College (GA)

5. Fisk University (TN)

6. Tuskegee University (AL)

7. Claflin University (SC)

8. Xavier University of Louisiana

9. Dillard University (LA)

10. Johnson C. Smith University (NC)

11. Tennessee State University *

12. Winston - Salem State University (NC) *'

13. Florida A&M University *

14. Morgan State University (MD) *

15. Virginia State University *

16. Bennett College (NC)

17. Elizabeth City State University (NC) *

18. North Carolina Central University *

19. North Carolina A&T State University 1*

20. Tougaloo College (MS)

21. Alcorn State University (MS) *

22. Clark Atlanta University

22. Oakwood College (AL)

22. South Carolina State University *

22. University of Maryland-Eastern Shore *

26. Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University *

26. Albany State University (GA) *

26. Delaware State University *

26. Jackson State University (MS) *

26. Kentucky State University *

26. Stillman College (AL)

MEAC schools in bold

Not bad for the new kid in the conference. Being right behind Howard and Hampton speaks volumes.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/r..._hbcu_brief.php

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Greensboro has come a very long way with its downtown. Now people in other cities are looking up to Greensboro and are wondering how the city pulled it off. Some of our friends east of us in Durham are asking that same question as they write in their bloggs.

http://www.bullcityrising.com/2007/10/greensboro-or-w.html

http://endangereddurham.blogspot.com/2007/...greensboro.html

I think Greensboro has alot to be proud of because the city has accomplished alot and there is still much more ahead! The Gate City has proven that it is a can do city and Greensboro is at the point of being recognized as a "city model".

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

The Center for Digital Government has released it's annual 'Top Ten Lists' of most technoligically-advanced cities. Winston-Salem tied for 5th place with St. Petersburg, Fl in the cities with population of 125,000 to 249,999. Winston-Salem was also the only NC city to place in the top 10 our of the three population tiers of the survey.

Winston-Salem has been a top 10 in it's population tier since 2002. Other NC cities that have shown up on the list are Charlotte and Durham.

WSJ Article about W-S being a Top 10 Most Technoligically-advanced City

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to broach this subject, but doesn't it seem 'extra-violent' in the Triad this year. Four murders in 24 hours in Greensboro, 2 killings in Winston-Salem over the weekend and the city on track to have the most homicides since 1996, lots of home invasions, store clerks being beaten and killed.. is this an anomaly, a sign of economic hardship, or is our police forces failing in some way? :dontknow:

Police officers have always been underpaid in the Triad (especially Winston), but don't think they aren't doing their job. I think it might just be a fluke, but with the way the economy is (i.e. many residents in the Triad being laid off and not enough jobs) many people could be resorting to violence.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the official 2008 North Carolina travel guide? There is a North Carolina nightlife section totally dedicated to downtown Greensboro and even excluded all the other urban cities in the state. It mentions all the hot spots in downtown Greensboro and the jam packed traffic after midnight.

Edited by cityboi