Triad Off-Topic

krazeeboi

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone going to the governor's or Obama's inargaration?

I was planning to go to Washington for the inauguration, but I left making reservations to the last minute and would only be able to afford a room in Richmond. Not to mention that, from what VDOT and experts are predicting, 95 will be gridlocked for most of the day. I had planned to drive to Springfield and take the Metro in, but I would imagine thousands of other people are planning to do that as well.

On a side note, has anyone else seen NCDOT's message boards throughout the state displaying information for people traveling to the inauguration? A pretty awesome sight! ^_^

On a side note, has anyone else seen NCDOT's message boards throughout the state displaying information for people traveling to the inauguration? A pretty awesome sight! ^_^

I noticed the signs Sat. night going to Greensboro... also on the way back from a late night in Charlotte tonight I saw several caravans of cars/RV's heading up I-85 with signs saying they were going to the inauguration..

I can't wait til Tuesday!!

I just wanted to say kudos to both Greensboro and Winston-Salem in having very progressive anti-discrimination employment policies. Both cities bar discrimination based on sexual orientation, and Greensboro even has a portion of their website dedicated to preventing hate crimes.

This is a baby step which means little... city benefits for same sex partners, until this is done the hiring stance means nothing to me or the gay community. The Triad still lags behind many of our desired peers in this category. Where do the cities stand on the issue of Prop 8 and same sex marriage? Where are the out and proud police officers, fire fighters, EMT's, etc? If many of these folks publically outed themselves they would be 'blackballed' at work with little chance of promotion by their supervisors.

This is a baby step which means little... city benefits for same sex partners, until this is done the hiring stance means nothing to me or the gay community. The Triad still lags behind many of our desired peers in this category. Where do the cities stand on the issue of Prop 8 and same sex marriage? Where are the out and proud police officers, fire fighters, EMT's, etc? If many of these folks publically outed themselves they would be 'blackballed' at work with little chance of promotion by their supervisors.

I agree...a baby step indeed. But at least it's a step. Our much larger sister city to the south (Charlotte) doesn't even appear to do this.

I can't respond to the issue of same sex marriage in Greensboro, but the city of Greensboro has been offering domestic partner benefits since 2007.

According to the website, the only two big cities in NC (big as in over 200K people) that offer benefits are Greensboro and Durham.

couple of interesting facts. The Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem market had the fifth largest TV audience in the country for Obama's inauguration while Raleigh-Durham was first in the country.

HAHA maybe it was because Tuesday was a snow day and everyone was home.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/01...of_inauguration

a merger with the Guilford County police and Greensboro Police department could stir up controversy.

It appears that there is a propsal to merge Sherriff Barnes department with the Greensboro Police department. That would take away power from the city council and push Greensboro chief Bellemy, who is African-American aside as he would be assigned to another position. (that alone would be controversal)

http://www.myfox8.com/wghp-sheriff-police-...0,2031499.story

Edited by cityboi

Whatever happened to the SkyBar on Elm St.? Heard it closed temporarily due to liquor license issues, but that was about 3 years ago now. The times that I've gone back to Greensboro and been by there, I've seen it's still vacant.

What a waste for a huge entertainment venue that could be put to good use!

Whatever happened to the SkyBar on Elm St.? Heard it closed temporarily due to liquor license issues, but that was about 3 years ago now. The times that I've gone back to Greensboro and been by there, I've seen it's still vacant.

What a waste for a huge entertainment venue that could be put to good use!

I think a mexican restaurant had opened in its place "Margarittas", but now that restaurant has moved. I do know there had been police calls to the Sky Bar because of drug use there. The Sky Bar was sort of like a gay/straight bar.

Edited by cityboi

group seeks architecture program for a Triad university.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/02...am_in_the_triad

Currently there are two architecture schools in the state. There is one at NC State and the other is at UNC-Charlotte. Leaders in the Triad hope to land an architecture school here. Why is this important? Having this school here helps keep graduates from leaving to other cities and help more architectural firms come to the area. It also helps build that "creative class" that the Triad cities seek. More than likely UNC-Greensboro would get the architecture school. UNCG already has an interior design program which would complement an architecture design program. UNCG also has a very good art program. Having the architecture school in Greensboro would be beneficial because North Carolina A&T less than a mile away from UNCG has an architectural engineering program. The two universities are already in colaboration with their programs. Maybe having an architecture school here will help inspire better architecture in the Triad.

Edited by cityboi

group seeks architecture program for a Triad university.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/02...am_in_the_triad

Currently there are two architecture schools in the state. There is one at NC State and the other is at UNC-Charlotte. Leaders in the Triad hope to land an architecture school here. Why is this important? Having this school here helps keep graduates from leaving to other cities and help more architectural firms come to the area. It also helps build that "creative class" that the Triad cities seek. More than likely UNC-Greensboro would get the architecture school. UNCG already has an interior design program which would complement an architecture design program. UNCG also has a very good art program. Having the architecture school in Greensboro would be beneficial because North Carolina A&T less than a mile away from UNCG has an architectural engineering program. The two universities are already in colaboration with their programs. Maybe having an architecture school here will help inspire better architecture in the Triad.

Here is more on plans for an architecture school

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/02...school_in_triad

Edited by cityboi

yea there is a Jimmy Johns in downtown Greensboro on South Elm Street. I go there all the time. But HA HA I dont know what they have been smoking because I know Jerseyboy posted a photo some time ago showing Jimmy Johns in DT Winston.

Edited by cityboi