New poster here, what are the professions...

rdiresults

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum!

Right now I am a high school student; however that will change very soon, as there are 27 days of school left until I graduate. At that time, I will begin studying to become an architect. So as far as a profession goes, I guess my profession is "future architect." At least until 2013 or so, when I become a real architect.

Guest donaltopablo

Auto parts business owner.

Still do some part time and side IT work while I finish getting the auto parts business off of the ground.

Slacker.

Professional college student.

Part-time lab assistant.

25 years old.

Ugh.

Not where I wanted to be at this stage, but at least I know what direction I want to head in. I took two years off after high school to recuperate, but I also took on some major financial obligations, so since I have to work at least 24 hours per week to sustain myself, I can only afford to be a part-time college student. I've been attending college part-time for four years, which means I have roughly two years of actual work done. *lol*

Eventually I'll get my doctorate in Meteorology.

Because most of us are overworked and underpayed. IT workers are 2nd class in most offices. We're the first to be blamed, yet asked to the impossible. We split are time arguing with management that thinks they know everything and helping workers who can barely work a mouse properly.

What it really comes down to is that IT is a service and IT workers are being treated more and more like service workers. A trained monkey could do my job. I had to check somebodys wire connections the other day because he was too lazy to get under the desk and do it. I think the T1 connection is the only thing keeping me going.

Hope to save up enough to get into developing and real estate.

There are some decent jobs in the industry but if you're into computing, go for programming or web development.

Could some of you expand on why IT is not the place to invest in? I can understand it being a field with a large number of workers in and is rather saturated, but still to the point that it's not a "real job"?

BTW I'm a high school student, undecided profession. :D

It's a huge battlefield right now; that pretty much explains it all from my point of view. Still, it pays my bills quite well so I can't complain too much to the hand that feeds me! :P

Archived