Cycling in the Triangle

triguyrdu

The American Tobacco Trail is really useful if you live or work within about 3 miles of it. It makes my 10 mile commute to work a breeze.

Hopefully the missing segment between NC54 and Massey Chapel will be built in the next 3 years. The Chatham gaps will hopefully be done before that.

Durham, Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill & Carrboro have some good greenways and bikeways, but there are too many gaps between them to make a really useful system that more people would bike.

What to do? Acquaint yourself with your local adopted bike plan. Write your city/town/county/state leaders and tell them to implement them. Better yet, get involved with a bike commission or advocacy group. Keep any eye on upcoming state and local road projects, and demand bike facilities. And let's not forget to ask for more bike racks.

Here are the bike plans that I could find on the web:

Durham

http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/works/bike_plan.cfm

Raleigh-CAMPO

http://www.campo-nc.us/BPSG/BikePed_31903%20.pdf

Cary

http://www.townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/eng...an/chapter4.pdf

Chapel Hill

http://www.townofchapelhill.org/index.asp?NID=141

• 1 year later...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI, the first meeting for Raleigh's new bike plan is next Wed:

The City of Raleigh is developing a Comprehensive Bicycle Plan that will guide future bicycle improvements in Raleigh and we want YOU to be part of the process.

The plan is intended to reflect the needs and wishes of the community; therefore, the City is asking for your input: the first public workshop will be held on April 2nd, 2008 at the Glen Eden Pilot Neighborhood Center (1500 Glen Eden Drive, Raleigh). Please stop by anytime between 4:00 & 7:00 PM to learn more about the project, talk to City staff and project consultants, and provide your input to the process. The City wants to hear the citizens' priorities for bicycle facilities and programs. Attached is an advertisement flyer for that meeting. Please feel free to distribute this so that all Raleigh citizens are informed.

In addition, please take a few minutes to fill out an online comment form for the project.

Online Comment Form Link: (
)

Please pass the word along to any and all cyclists in the Raleigh Area!

Thank you for your time. Happy and safe bicycling!

I just bought my first road bike and am psyched about getting around town on it. I'm a relative newbie, but I'm already surprised by the interconnectivity of neighborhood streets in N. Raleigh. For a place that was developed fairly piecemeal, I was surprised by places I can get across town with only minimal exposure to major corridors like Six Forks, Millbrook, or Falls of the Neuse. For example, I have figured out a way to get from the Trek store in way north Raleigh north of 540 all the way to Glenwood South basically on neighborhood streets...a distance of at least 10 or 12 miles as the crow flies, and probably more as I plot it...

the other major surprise...how @#$% hilly Raleigh is...which I didn't really notice when I was driving around...

Since I can't make it to Wednesday's meeting, I filled out the questionaire online. It took a little longer than I expected, but only 10-15 minutes and hopefully was worth it.

I used to bike from NC State to Crabtree via Dixie (pretty wide, quiet)/Lake Boone/Ridge Road (which had nice bike lanes (though often used for car parking)/Glen Eden/through Glen Eden park/Blue Ridge/Homewood Banks. Dixie has some hills and I usually ended up walking the bike up Glen Eden, but it was a decent ride.

The greenway from Dix Campus along Western, through NCSU campus to Merideth (via Gorman, the only quick hill/difficult bike corridor) to the NC Museum of Art trail is a nice ride, though quite hilly on the Museum trail west of 440. St. Mary's/Lassiter Mill is a much better alternative than @$$)#@*) Six Forks from North Hills to Wake Forest, though I haven't tried that part of the Crabtree Greenway yet.

Capitol Blvd is a dividing line from the middle of downtown going northeast. It is best to pick a side and stay on it -- on the west side, the neighborhood roads are hilly but ok to get to Five Points, then Glenwood the rest of the way in (only easy way across Wade); on the east side, the Raleigh Blvd corridor is lowish traffic, and Glascock to Brookside to Oakwood is not overtly bike friendly but decent. The Crabtree trail is the easiest way to cross Capitol, going under the bridge between Hodges and Yonkers. Atlantic Ave is pretty quiet on the weekends, though there is no sidewalks, etc. and the bridge over the tracks near Capitol is a bit of a beast.

I fully agree with this and would love to see a pedestrian bridge across capital connecting the Five Points and Modecai neighborhoods. I live in the oakwood area and cycle to the five points area frequently, but have to either go peace st. west and then north on glenwood, or north on atlantic to whitiker mill. Both routes are very indirect (and traffic heavy at times) because of having to get around Capital Blvd.

A ped. bridge at the end of hayes/harp/n. blount to fairview rd. would make the distance between 5 points and seaboard around a mile, and hopefully provide more "cross pollination" for the two neighborhoods and businesses.

Not sure how feasible the plan is though with the RR and capital blvd. there...

I'm going to have to say, based on experience, road biking in Raleigh... sucks. People do not grasp the concept that they must share the roads with bikes, and I have gotten honked at several times for going too slow- on neighborhood roads! I do not know of any road that has bike lanes, or signs warning people about bikes. I have seen several bike commuters nearly get run of the road because people driving are so inconsiderate.

I do LOVE the greenway system- my favorite is the Art Museum trail that goes from Meredith College to Umstead- there are clearly marked trails, good crosswalks, and the bridge over the beltline is really cool. I hope the city continues to fund the greenway system, and I hope that the House Creek Greenway gets opened soon.

And single-track trails are always needed. I am a big fan of mountain biking, so I enjoy doing single-track. New Light trails off of New Light north of Falls Lake are good, but trails about two miles from me at Country Trail near Leesville High School were closed because they were on city land and the people did not get proper permission to build them- and the Leesville Park and library is going to be built there. Umstead is good, but doesn't have any single-track... all the single-track are hiking trails and bikes aren't allowed. Does anyone know of any good trails around here?

Be very careful biking on the greenway, especially alone (women and men). These areas are remote and people lose their sense of defense in these areas. I've recently heard several stories of suspicious characters just kind of loitering around, especially in the areas just east of Crabtree, around Lake Lynn, and between Anderson Dr. and Wake Forest Rd.

Be very careful biking on the greenway, especially alone (women and men). These areas are remote and people lose their sense of defense in these areas. I've recently heard several stories of suspicious characters just kind of loitering around, especially in the areas just east of Crabtree, around Lake Lynn, and between Anderson Dr. and Wake Forest Rd.

Every time I've ridden on Rocky Branch east of South Saunders, there have been people walking into the woods off the path. There might be a homeless camp or something back there, between Walnut Terrace and South Saunders. Some of them are friendly and will reply with a hi or head nod, but most give a questionable glance at best (why am I biking through their bedroom?), or some unsafe feeling at worst (I could get something for that bike). I've never seen a woman on the greenway east of the Dix property, and don't blame them at all.

As for Walnut Terrace itself, I've only been by once. Every time since I go down Fayetville past the Bain Water treatment plant to South Wilmington. The "convenience store" off Fayetville near Walnut Terrace sells an inordinant amoutn of alcohol and tobacco vs. food and snacks. That one section of the greenway gives the rest of the system a bad image.

I've never dropped my guard, even along the greenway through Pullen and NC State. I want to ride along Crabtree from Raleigh Blvd to Wake Forest Road and beyond, but know it is underutilized by people trying to get exercise and/or enjoy nature since there are few residences in that area.

• 4 weeks later...

The newspaper has an article about the recent bicycle crashes in the area... first the fatality in Raleigh and one in Durham. The reality is now that gas is approaching $4 and the weather is pleasant, bikes are competing for road space, and this is the unfortunate result. I hate hearing this reaction to cycling:

"Mainly, they're annoying," Josh Ellis, 21, an N.C. State student from Wilmington, said Sunday. "They have the right to be on the road, too, but unless they're going the speed limit, they shouldn't be out there. They can ride on the sidewalks."

Kind of bad coming from an NC State student... you'd expect to hear comments like that from a hardened RTP commuter--not a college student. Aren't they the biggest bicycle market?

I always ride within the Beltline where the streets are more connected and there's less traffic--well almost always. I've ridden to North Hills and Umstead several times (outside 440), but the accomodations are good enough for a reasonably safe ride.

Not only are bike crashes going up but I'll bet bike theft & vandalism will be up too, as more of us start using them.

Just found the stripped frame of mine at my apartment's rack this morning....nothing left but the part that had the u-lock through it.

Guess it's car-only for me till I can get another. :angry:

(It was a rusty old thing...the headlight was duct-taped on....you'd think they'd go for something more valuable? Geez, what a world.)

^^

I'm kind of on the side of the college student on that one. In some areas its fine, but on heavy-traffic roads it does nothing but jam traffic up more than it is already and frustrate people. I saw someone actually using a bicycle on Capital the other day, which is practically asking to die on that road. Traffic is way too crazy to be attempting that on a road as crazy and high-speed as Capital. What I would like to see the city do is steal Europe's idea of building small bicycle lanes alongside the sidewalks, which keep them off the main road and safer.

^^

I'm kind of on the side of the college student on that one. In some areas its fine, but on heavy-traffic roads it does nothing but jam traffic up more than it is already and frustrate people. I saw someone actually using a bicycle on Capital the other day, which is practically asking to die on that road. Traffic is way too crazy to be attempting that on a road as crazy and high-speed as Capital. What I would like to see the city do is steal Europe's idea of building small bicycle lanes alongside the sidewalks, which keep them off the main road and safer.

I think all neighborhood streets that are wider than 12' per lane should have paint-in bike lane shoulders. This would allot a section for bikes and give the ipression of a narrower street. Usually narrowed streets slow traffic. While it isn't "really" narrow, it would at least give a psychological effect and remind people that bikes are out there.

Anderson Drive, for instance, is probably 30'-36' wide. A bike lane on each side that is 3'-6- wide, with white paint that has texture (like the lines on the interstate highway) would make that street slower and safer for everyone involved. Do this to Glen Eden, Lassiter Mill, Fairview (west end), Oberlin, etc.

i thought it was illegal for bikes to be on the sidewalk since they are considered motor vehicles by NC law.

regardless of its legality, i agree with the earlier sentiment that bikes are less safe on sidewalks. car drivers assume since bikes are on the sidewalk, they dont have to be aware of them anymore, and cyclists get a false sense of comfort.

drivers will just have to get used to sharing lanes with bicyclists. im hoping the N&O article will be read by lots and lots of drivers so they know to be more aware of bicyclists!

The trick with bikes on sidewalks is you then have to proceed like a pedestrian and not like a vehicle. Stop at streets, look both ways, be aware of cars turning onto teh street you are crossing etc. I almost always ride on sidewalks, because while I have the right to the road, I don't trust your average NC motorist.

I must say, while I am defender of cycling I do get annoyed when a rider invokes their right to the pavement but then blazes through red lights. I see it happen alot. Either obey all the rules of the road or don't use it please.

I'm with you there. I'm totally for the NC law allowing bikes to be treated like vehicles, etc. But for my personal safety, you will not see me ride on Hillsborough, Western, Wade, McDowell/Dawson, Peace, etc....I'll be on the sidewalk for those types of busy streets. And I agree with Jones...if you do that, then act like a pedestrian (crosswalks, look both ways, etc) and it should go smoothly.

That said, what I usually try to do is avoid them all together (except when specifically going somewhere on them)...and use parallel side streets instead. On those less-traveled, lighter-traffic roads I will ride in the street and follow the rules like a car.

Archived