Cycling in the Triangle

triguyrdu

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But seriously, as a cyclist I hate to hear the whole "follow all the rules or don't bike at all" complaint. The roads were designed and built for cars, with no thought whatsoever for cyclists. I often run red lights, but do so safely, and have many reasons for doing it. One is that my bike does not trigger lights with sensors.

I bike a few times a month mostly ITB on roads so my thoughts are not one-sided. While in a car I have nearly hit a cycler blazing through an intersection red light while I tried to turn right at that same red light. He had a good view of the cross street which was clear, which was also why I began to turn right. I happened to remember passing him a little way back I thought I should look over my shoulder just in case as I started to let the clutch out. This has happened twice. Also I get the occasional bike crossing the street mid-block and expecting me to stop (which I do politely) but I get the look that says I better stop. Also most of the folks riding up and down Hillsborough don't where helmets which I think is required. So, yeah, I am all for bike infrastructure and right to the road, but I think there needs to be more common sense added to the militant approach I see sometimes. I prize my safety and realize my nuisance to traffic so peddle as smart and polite as I can when doing so.

• 1 month later...

I just heard about the World Naked Bike Ride that took place yesterday in Boulder, CO. The rides are organized in cities around the world. I think Raleigh might need one. It definitely is a surefire way to get people's attention to promote awareness of cycling! ;)

Why are you riding naked?

To celebrate cycling and the human body. The ride demonstrates the vulnerability of cyclists on the road and is a protest against oil dependency.

Does anyone know about the Raleigh Critical Mass ride schedule?

http://www.critical-mass.info/us-k-p.html#us

I see there is a Yahoo group, but I am on enough mailing lists as it is...

Durham's appears to be at the big bull downtown on first Thursdays @ 5:35 and Chapel Hill has one on last Fridays at 5:30 at Morehead Planetarium, though that may be old info.

It isn't naked, but it would be a start. With as hot as it was recently, there were several topless male riders, but I think that was more of necessity than making a statement.

There seemed to be a decent pack of riders on First Fridays downtown, but the last one I saw was when Designbox was east of Moore Square Magnet Middle School, so I don't know if that is still a regular/planned event.

Does anyone know about the Raleigh Critical Mass ride schedule?

http://www.critical-mass.info/us-k-p.html#us

I see there is a Yahoo group, but I am on enough mailing lists as it is...

Durham's appears to be at the big bull downtown on first Thursdays @ 5:35 and Chapel Hill has one on last Fridays at 5:30 at Morehead Planetarium, though that may be old info.

It isn't naked, but it would be a start. With as hot as it was recently, there were several topless male riders, but I think that was more of necessity than making a statement.

There seemed to be a decent pack of riders on First Fridays downtown, but the last one I saw was when Designbox was east of Moore Square Magnet Middle School, so I don't know if that is still a regular/planned event.

I don't want to bike across town to the bell tower and then backtrack along Hillsborough to downtown!

It would be nice if there was some secondary "join in" gallery stop on the west side before taking on downtown proper, or a "always hit Artspace at 8" kind of time point...

I've seen bike groups of about 4-5 people around downtown, but I'm usually walking or on a picture taking mission. And I don't want to just assume I can join in/stalk/whatever. I like the idea of a "barely/loosely organized" ride.

Raleigh Critical Mass is very much alive and well. We meet on the last friday of the month at the NCSU belltower at 5-5:15, and the ride leaves at 5:30. We ride around downtown and finish at Loco Pops for popsicles. These rides are really fun and non-aggressive. Last month we have one rider towing his 2 year old in a bike trailer.

NCWEBGUY, I often miss a lot of the Bike First Friday events for the same reason. I live on the east side of downtown and don't like leaving so early just to go to NCSU and then back to downtown. Maybe I'll talk to Victor who organizes the ride and we can get an east side meetup group that meets the main group at the first gallery.

I also live east of the belltower and would rather avoid doubling back on Hillsborough for the First Friday rides. Maybe they could just post their intended schedule somewhere online before the ride so others can join up along the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WRAL reported on Durham's new bike racks throught the Bull City. They seem to be clusterd around 9th Street, Brightleaf and inside the loop, but people can suggest new rack locations.

I was hoping to see more of this on F Street, but nothing so far, resulting in "creative" poles, etc. on which to secure bicycles, especially around Times Bar. Will the new convention center get racks to increase its LEED score?

^BIG round of applause to Durham for the foresight in doing this. :thumbsup:

Raleigh could really learn from them in this instance. I wonder if the Downtown Alliance would ever consider it if the city can't be motivated. (I imagine the new Hillsborough Street BID would benefit from such an endeavour as well.) I can't count the number of times I've had to use a utility pole, tree or street sign to lock my bike to! Even used a dumpster, once. :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Another N&O story on the city's bike plan. The city's plan will at least analyze all the major streets for potential bicycle accomodations.

"Our goal is to look at every thoroughfare in the city," Lamb says. "They may not all be able to accommodate bikes" -- he cites Wade Avenue as a particular challenge -- "but we're looking at them all."

Also, the city will hold a workshop on August 26, from 4 to 7 p.m., at the Sertoma Arts Center, 1400 W. Millbrook Road in Raleigh (at Shelley Lake). More information: 516-2158 or [email protected].

• 2 months later...

It seems as though the need for bike racks in downtown Raleigh is very slowly catching on. I was at Flying Saucer last night and noticed that a new bike rack has been installed on the sidewalk right out front. It is nothing special aesthetically, just a metal S-curve shaped rack, but much needed. Prior to installation of the rack, the only place to lock your bike was to the railing around the patio area.

Also, I went to the Raleigh Critical Mass last month, and they will be riding on their usual scheduled day this month - Halloween. Costumes are highly encouraged!

• 6 months later...

I just did the Capital Area Greenway trail over to SE Raleigh this weekend, and I was impressed by just how many sections of bridges there are. It'll be nice when they can connect the ends of the trail both to the Neuse River and at House Creek to the west by Crabtree. Then you might actually have the ability to bike & even commute a fairly long distance completely off-road.

I just did the Capital Area Greenway trail over to SE Raleigh this weekend, and I was impressed by just how many sections of bridges there are. It'll be nice when they can connect the ends of the trail both to the Neuse River and at House Creek to the west by Crabtree. Then you might actually have the ability to bike & even commute a fairly long distance completely off-road.

Archived