Cycling in the Triangle

triguyrdu

That is a cool stretch. The one day I rode it it was pouring rain (afternoon storm) and I tried to imagine I couldn't even see the few buildings through the trees that were there. The bluff where Silver State Imports is, is really cool since the viaduct has you hanging practically over the water 20 or 30 feet in the air. For railroad buffs, the original grade stone pier is still in place near the Atlantic Ave crossing.

• 4 months later...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone is interested, I've devised a road route from the Falls River Shopping Center (Raven Ridge and Durant Rd.) all the way to downtown Raleigh that sticks mostly to neighborhood streets, and avoids all the major NS roads (FOTN, Six Forks, and Creedmoor).

As far as I can tell, the best bike friendly route into downtown is St. Mary's Street. It is hilly and fairly busy, but far better than the other options (Hillsborough St., Old Wake Forest, Anderson Drive). From the St. Mary's/Lassiter Mill corridor you can access all sorts of neighborhood routes to take you just about anywhere between Creedmoor on the west and Capital Blvd. on the east.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

N&O has just reported that some bicyclists are now fighting to have the Hillsborough street project changed to include bicycle lanes. While I agree with the points bicyclists made, I think they are a bit late getting to the table here, given the city had seven rounds for public input and the project has been in the making for ten years now. With construction well underway, I highly doubt the city is going to stop mid-construction to add them and leave the road in further disarray. The city had already planned to add sharrows to the road after construction is complete, but apparently the bicyclists want dedicated lanes now...

http://www.northraleighnews.com/news/story/1822.html

• 2 weeks later...

N&O has just reported that some bicyclists are now fighting to have the Hillsborough street project changed to include bicycle lanes. While I agree with the points bicyclists made, I think they are a bit late getting to the table here, given the city had seven rounds for public input and the project has been in the making for ten years now. With construction well underway, I highly doubt the city is going to stop mid-construction to add them and leave the road in further disarray. The city had already planned to add sharrows to the road after construction is complete, but apparently the bicyclists want dedicated lanes now...

http://www.northrale...story/1822.html

Archived