The Best developers in Charlotte

BUILDIT

Ok so I have heard the hate against Levine, but I was wondering who you guys felt was doing the best for Charlotte and making the most attractive properties for charlotte, and of course why.

I am going with Ghazi, epicenter is so needed for retail and entertainment in uptown and his plan for spirit square looked good too.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont hate Levine. I think he has very good intentions for his first ward properties that will be great for uptown. But I do think he has been a little stubborn in not accepting help from another party to help get the ball rolling.

Furman, even though he has received some flack for the backsides of his buildings, has done a wonderful job at selling his product and getting it finished. I'll also add that 90% of Trademark is beautiful on the outside, and his buildings are evolving into more attractive structures. Even though Concourse may not get built, it was a great building from all angles.

Still not sure on Ghazi. Some think his Epicentre will become an outdoor mall, some dont. Whether it does or not, if a bowling alley, movie theatre and easily accessable retail are a reality because of this project it will be a great success and much needed for uptown. But....still waiting on the execution of the design before I make an opinion on Ghazi.

Oh, and Novare is just a machine... :)

Furman has eroded his star status with his use of plastic facing materials on his high rises, one-sided high rises, and projects that look too much the same. However, he is still very high on the list of developers who have tried to do right for the city, including being a major pioneer in uptown neighborhoods.

Conformity is clearly doing great work with Southborough, The Rutzler, School Supply building, and Steelhaus. Having solid credentials for both innovative designs and historic preservation, I think, make them great developers for the city.

Crosland has done numerous urban projects for a long time. Recently, they are doing historic preservation with Alpha Mill. A while ago, the preserved Latta Arcade, which I believe will become even more important as a destination with the growth of South Tryon and the new park planned. They seem to be trying to support urbanization, and at least attempt to get things right on that front.

Tuscan is building in Optimist Park. Did I mention that Tuscan is building in Optimist Park?

I'm gonna go with Novare on this one. I like the way Avenue is turning out, and if their portfolio means anything so will the Third Ward project. Not to mention the Levine/Novare proposal went belly-up and it didn't even phase Novare. In fact, it just sped up their time table for other projects.

I am also going to agree with Dubone, I really like some of Tuscan's projects around town. My two favorite projects of theirs right now would have to be Central 27 and the Watermark.

Conformity, Grubb, Blvd. Centro, Merrifield Partners and it's alumni (Bluesky, Tidewater, etc), and Bank of America. These are the companies that I feel make positive long term contributions (EIFS aside)

You could possibly add The Boulevard Company, The Drakeford Company, Citiline, Tuscan, and Crosland to the list, as companies that probably have good intentions, but sometimes under-deliver.

^ pretty much all of the above listed. i must give extra kudos to conformity for their diversity in design and location. also, their well planned consideration for prospective locations. the fact that they participate on this forum is a good indication of their desire for insightfulness.

overall, there is huge need in implementing more green techniques - by all. we have to start protecting this city - now. all it would take is one developer to intiate this movement. many more would follow, as i feel it would be wildly successful not to mention worthy. to start, i would love to see this city filled with green roofs.... i wish the city would mandate it.

Neighboring Concepts shouldn't be left out. They pioneered townhomes and new construction, now Skybridge, in Wesley Heights.

I think Conformity gets my vote for thoughtfulness and more consideration for existing builders than any others.

Follow that with the others listed above.

My end of the list is Levine, but it isn't hatred, it is more frustration at sitting on land that could really enhance the center city. I have to lump Grubb in on that as well for making huge announcements then tearing down buildings just to sit and sit on them forever. They have pulled out of agreements with some of their tenants and "partners" as well -- typical crap that gives developers a bad name. Wait, that makes me realize the bottom of the list are the ones that bumped everyone from contract at The Renwick.

Though Blvd Centro has done a couple questionable things to their projects, David Furman, I believe, still has his heart in the right place and has done quite a few projects that were revolutionary for Charlotte at the time they were done: The Silos, the homeless halfway house on North Davidson, Wilmore Walk...

and i love the views I've seen so far of Trademark...not as much booty as Courtside

Conformity,

Your response is greatly appreciated...as is the clarification on exactly who is responsible for the raping of this lot. I'm glad to hear you aren't responsible for that, and your policy of avoiding such actions is definitely something worth noting. Thanks! I, for one, will be placing a call to the Pfahls to let them know my feelings about what they've done.

• 9 months later...

Well I know Trademark had a water main break on the 10th floor last week. I have friends who had to go to Harris Teeter and Morton's to use the "facilities", as the water to the building was off all day.

While there are some good developers in Charlotte (Conformity and Citiline), none, as yet, have done much in the way of green design or building. I am eagerly awaiting someone in the development community to step forward with some true "green" design. Note I didn't say LEED, just green. And don't give me the Energy Star appliance thing as being environmentally friendly. I mean things like roof design, building orientation, solar panels, gray water recycling, recycled building materials, reduction in construction waste (and recycling of said waste), etc. It's being done in Louisville, Albuquerque, Austin, Richmond, Nashville---why not here? Are we so conservative in Charlotte that homebuyers don't care about the environment like they do in a place such as Louisville?

I am eagerly awaiting someone in the development community to step forward with some true "green" design. Note I didn't say LEED, just green. And don't give me the Energy Star appliance thing as being environmentally friendly. I mean things like roof design, building orientation, solar panels, gray water recycling, recycled building materials, reduction in construction waste (and recycling of said waste), etc. It's being done in Louisville, Albuquerque, Austin, Richmond, Nashville---why not here? Are we so conservative in Charlotte that homebuyers don't care about the environment like they do in a place such as Louisville?

Archived