300 East Main

Spartan

Some interesting developments with 300 E Main:

citySpartanburgSC_300emainconst.jpg

The project is underway.

The building will just be shifted to the east, and there will be another one constructed no sooner than 18 months from now because of the MCI switching station.

The original plan called for construction of a four-story office building on the west end of the block near Alabama Street, with a parking garage centered on the site at the rear of the property.

Because the land is lower on the east end, another floor will be added to the building to bring it level with a four-story building that will eventually occupy the west end of the site.

It sounds like there will be 2 buildings like this:

citySpartanburg_300emain.jpg

Other Facts:

• A bank will occupy the main floor of the first building
  • Rental office space on the upper floors
  • Demolition of the retail shops along the north side of Main Street's 300 block is about half finished.
  • Three houses on Hall Street that will be torn down

Full Article

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current edition of GSABusiness Journal (April 4, 2005) has a frontpage article on the new development going up on the 300-block of East Main Street. There are three buildings to be built, plus a 300-car garage. The first is a five story neo-classical structure (this is the one shown previously in this thread), with another one being similar in design and height. The third building is still undesigned, and height will be determined at a later time. Construction is expected to begin in early summer. Sounds great! :)

that's really exciting. i thought that construction was going to be delayed though b/c people were unwilling to move out of the existing buildings since they still had a lease.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was a problem at first, but I believe that Johnson is simply going to start with a different building right beside the existing one with the lease. He can then move that building to phase 2 or whatever. Most of the other buildings have been torn down so hopefully construction can begin pretty quick.

• 2 months later...

An update to the 300 E Main project. As you may recall, there was a hold up because of the MCI switching station, which was located underneath the Spartanburg County Foundation. I have learned that the SCF has secured a new site on Kennedy St and will be out of their old building within a year or so. This means that the building plans are still in motion. I can only assume that MCI will be relocating the switching station in the same time frame.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like the 300 East Main project is getting ready to start to go up. The city council voted this past Monday to enter in an agreement with the developers to sell them a building on Hall street to enlarge the area of the project (2nd phase). The first phase which is a 5 story building will be anchored by Carolina First. It is schedule for completion 1 year from now so construction should start pretty quick.

Morgan Square is coming along nicely.

They are working behind the all the properties in the Renaissance area.

The putting green and chipping range behind the Marriott is coming along.

Floyds paved their parking lot and looks to be working on the garage.

They've paved the lot below the Montgomery building and put a walkway to the Marriott for overfow parking.

They are still moving a lot of dirt in for the Cultural Center.

• 8 months later...

does anyone know if Johnson plans to have any retail in the bottom of his new buildings on main street. if they're going to narrow the road there and put in larger sidewalks then i think that he should really provide some space for retail or restuarants.

The street the runs between Venus Pie and the new Johnson Building could actually be another restaurant row or shopping stores. It would also be a nice residential street, I believe most the houses on that street are in pretty could condition.

Thats an interesting idea. I lean more towards the residentaial idea. That area and the neighborhood on the otherside of St John from there is a bit rundown, but I think it would be a great neighborhood. It has fantastic access to downtown and the Eastside. The parking lot behind the Wachovia building needs to be turned into a garage with some townhouses or condo's built on the St John St end.

that's too bad about johnson's buildings. it's great that he's adding density and office space to our downtown, not to mention i love the architecture of most of his buildings, but i wish he would build some of them taller and more importantly mixed use. maybe i'll call him up and tell him.

• 3 months later...

The HJ has a story on the new Johnson Development building on Main Street. It has a current picture of the building for those who haven't seen the construction progress in a while. Sounds like most if not all floors are leased out, and I can't wait till they start the "sister" building beside this one.

ARTICLE

• 5 months later...

I went to Johnson Development's website to see if they are saying anything about the condos. Nothing yet, but it did say the 59,898 sq. ft. Carolina First building was fully leased. It also mentioned the "spec II" building next to it would be app. 80,000 sq. ft. with a 2008 date so we might see som movement there pretty quick.

They've also done a great job on the parking deck. There is a ton of trees and planters on the top level. It looks like a park, not a parking lot.

• 1 month later...

I have split all of the posts on the 300 Block of E Main out from the randomness of the "Spartanburg Develpoments" thread. This move will hopefully make finding interest and discussing this building easier. This thread will include all three phases of the 300 Block development by Johnson Development.

Here is a picture from Krazeeboi from May 2006

CarolinaFirst.jpg

Spartan from December 2006

IMG_0022_dec06_spa.jpg

IMG_0023_dec06_spa.jpg

IMG_0030_dec06_spa.jpg

roads-scholar from February 2007

385797100_67c420958f_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've noticed lately the fountain will be working one day and empty the next. In the past few weeks, some decorative fish have been added in the bottom and spouts above each panel to direct the water more into the 'river' on each panel.

Today I heard a water tank burst and flooded the whole bottom floor where Coldwell Banker is and made a pretty big mess. I think the different shoals are a cool concept for the fountain but it sure seems to be plagued with problems.

I think they were changing the water spouts. The water was supposed to follow the flow of the rivers, but the old spouts threw the water out to far to adhere to the glass. (if that makes any sense) Now they have out new ones that direct the water right on to it and it is a much nicer effect. if you are walking by it is cool to look in and see fish fountains in the pool. you can't really see that from your car.

There is also a track hoe besides the old Spartanburg County Foundation building. I don't know if it is there simply doing some utility work, or if they are getting ready to demolish that building to start the new "sister building" to 300 E. main.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I stopped by the old brick building where the proposed 2nd development is to be built, and talked to some construction workers there, and they said they were doing some final preparations before the demolition began. They seemed to think that demolition and construction of the second structure should began in the very near future.

Archived