300 East Main

Spartan

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was by the Old Spartanburg County Foundation building again today and its on the ground. The job site trailers and some construction storage trailers are already there too. It looks like the second building will begin immediately on the corner of Alabama St. and Main. After much delays it looks as though the project will now be fast tracked. I am hopeful the overhead power lines in the area will be relocated underground as well. It would make the site much more attractive.

• 2 weeks later...

The second building of the 300 East Main project is about to get underway. Here's the link. It will be 60,000 sq fy and look similar to the sister building.

Here's the rendering again:

johnson_emain2.jpg

Here are some demolition pictures from last week:

300_emain_02.jpg

300_emain_03.jpg

300_emain_04.jpg

From the Kennedy St garage:

300_emain_01.jpg

Fun stuff :)

• 1 month later...

This is only about 25% of the steel frame. The foundation is poured all the way back to the rear entry of the parking deck. I don't understand why the small block building is being incapsulated in the new building unless some of MCI's switch gear is still in there. It looks as though the building will face Alabama St. with the long side there and possibly another entry on Main St.

^I had thought that might be the case, with the entrance facing Alabama Street. That rendering made the long side look like the front. There is no more room to expand toward the Carolina Southern bank building. Its just weird because they normally build buildings one floor a a time, not like the way they are doing it there.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that they are having to adjust the order of steel because of the small portion of the building that was there. That section holds some type of cables or phone lines. They are building the building over that section. They are leaving the old walls up and putting steel around them, so the outside facade willl be new, but theere will be an interior room that will still be old.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not sure how much I like this building. Its very bulky architecturally, and I can't find much that I like about it in any sense.

300emain_nov08_1.jpg

300emain_nov08_2.jpg

300emain_nov08_3.jpg

300emain_nov08_4.jpg

This last picture looks like some sort of medieval castle gateway or something.

I guess if nothing else its better than the old MCI monstrosity that was there.

Archived