Best Place to Watch a Sox Game

matt

Ok, the time is quickly coming upon us, and although we have lost some favored venues, lets discuss some preferred venues for watching a Sox game in the city.

Criteria include:

Viewing options - number of screens, screen size, seating

Drinking options - Is there a bar?

Food options - Is there a kitchen serving good game-watching food?

Places that immediately come to mind:

The Abbey: In Elmhurst neighborhood. Great small pub, great beer selection, ok food, projection screen and small tvs.

McFaddens: Downtown near historic parking district. Lots of large tvs, large bar, ok food, but not very intimate... also draws some yankees fans.

Tazza: (aka White Rep) Downcity. Large projection screen, good food, bar is a bit pricey, hours and viewing could be unpredictable.

Dave and Busters: Sure to be showing the games... but in the mall.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baseball and Dave & Busters, I could not think of a worse way to spend my evening. I'm all for hanging out with friends while they watch baseball, but Dave & Busters has to come right off your list, in fact I have the power to edit it.

the decatur.

oh wait...

:whistling:

I digress:

The GCB on power st is a great place to watch sox games in a low key mellow atmosphere.

Talk of the Town ain't a bad choice.

Downstairs at Trinity Brewhouse.

The Ivy Tavern

Hope St Pizza bar

listen to it on the radio while puttering in the garage or working on old porsches with a cold beer on weekends is a mighty fine thing as well.

Baseball and Dave & Busters, I could not think of a worse way to spend my evening. I'm all for hanging out with friends while they watch baseball, but Dave & Busters has to come right off your list, in fact I have the power to edit it.

McFadden's is great for S-W, but less so for night games on Thursday and especially Friday and Saturday. Much better than Finnegan's though. McFadden's has the best and most TVs so it is easiest to see the game (and others).

Trinity downstairs is awful, there are about three seats in the whole place where you can actually see the game and it requires pulling your head so far up that you can't also be any part of the conversation with your friends. I guess if you are sitting at the bar it is ok, and that it would be fine for people with a casual interest in the game who are there with people who don't want to watch the game.

RiRa is fine but has similar problems to the other places that turn into clubs. One thing about RiRa is that the managers are all huge Red Sox fans, though, and will tell a band to wait if there are extra innings, etc.

I love Hope St. Pizza and the IVY but bother get cramped and crowded for a lot of the games. If you are in a group, the Ivy is right out and Hope St. you have to be lucky enough to get one of the two bigger tables in the bar area.

In the Bucket, the East Ave Cafe has good TVs and the game always on, and their food is better now but not at the level it was before the original owners sold a few years ago.

Smokey Bones is a pretty good spot to watch sports in general. I generally go there to watch Pats games since they'll have a bunch of tv's with all the other games on as well. Good crowds - not too young or crowded. Buckets of beers to boot!

since we are in the greater providence metro, an area replete with local taverns, bars and pubs, and not in Northern Virginia, i will go out on a limb here and say that it is blasphemy to suggest we watch the sox at a chain store restaurant, or at the mall.

:rolleyes:

I agree that Smokey Bones can be a good place to watch a game. The food is decent, the service is good, and the tvs are plentiful.

BUT, as Jen pointed out, and as Cotuit enforced, mall alternatives are what we're really looking for.

My problem was with Dave & Busters in particular, not the mall in general, but yes, I think a place not in the mall could be found. However, it would give me a chance to head to the Apple Store while you all cry in your beers when they are losing. Don't all the Sox become sh*theads and losers sometime in September?

Archived