Eat somthing different Houston!

What is it about the 4th largest city in the nation, and its relative dearth in national chain dining options? I know Mexican food rules here, but is Houston so obsessed with it that few other national and regional chains can make it here?

I

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hardee's, Krystal and Zaxby's have no operations as far west as Houston, they're more southeastern. There's Ruby Tuesday in Sugar Land and Willowbrook. And wow, where did all the Krispy Kremes go? While I was there multiple locations were thriving, sad to see the short goodbye.

But surely you can't be seriously pining for Ruby Tuesday - while trashing kolaches and Texas barbecue? Blasphemy. :) I'd whack any random stranger to have Goode Co. on demand...

• 2 months later...

What city doesn't have chain restaurants? For every chain restaurant Houston has, there's an independent one to balance it out. Timmy Chan's & Frenchy's are the two popular independent eating spots in H-town. They're both in the hood but they hook you up with enough food for two; At Timmy Chan's, you only pay $3.99 with tax for an order of General Tso's fried rice with chicken. For Timmy Chan's, the best ones are on MLK in South Park and on Scott St. in 3rd Ward. Their fried chicken isn't as good as Frenchy's, also in 3rd Ward.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if I'm necro-ing some of these Houston threads. I lived here for years, but have been gone for several more, and am back for like a week and a half.

If you think that Houston has no chain restaurants, I suggest you drive around more. Christ, that's my main complaint about the suburban areas! Almost the whole strip of Westheimer is like this west of about Chimney Rock, The Woodlands is nothing but (my family there complains about this immensely), Deerbrook, Willowbrook, Clear Lake, Sugar Land: nothing but chains.

I hate chains and find it somewhat difficult in Houston to find something, versus Tucson where non-chains are much more prevalent in the Central area and are actually much better and more interesting than their corporate counterparts.

Be adventurous! Read the Press, find something that sounds good, and just try it! There is a lot out there.

:blink: OMG, with all the wonderful and diverse restaurant choices here and someone decries the dearth of chain stores!?!? I don't get it. What am I missing? I'd give anything for all the chains to leave! And I hate it when local restaurants like Carraba's go national. But at least the orignal locations maintain some integrity (usually!).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Hardee's, Krystal and Zaxby's have no operations as far west as Houston, they're more southeastern. There's Ruby Tuesday in Sugar Land and Willowbrook. And wow, where did all the Krispy Kremes go? While I was there multiple locations were thriving, sad to see the short goodbye.

But surely you can't be seriously pining for Ruby Tuesday - while trashing kolaches and Texas barbecue? Blasphemy. :) I'd whack any random stranger to have Goode Co. on demand...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived