Recent Violence in Blue Hills

Whaler0718

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm Weather. That simple.

I don't blame the weather for their conduct - but, everyone is out and about with the first few warm days. It'll probably continue for a bit.

The article blamed the lack of after school programs. Right. :rolleyes: Somehow I think these kids have a hard time attending "school", period.

I blame the parents and the kids to a lessor degree (Provided that they are minors). I'd be willing to bet these kids came from a single parent home where dad is gone. Men need to step up and be men and fathers - enough of this crap.

Warm Weather. That simple.

I don't blame the weather for their conduct - but, everyone is out and about with the first few warm days. It'll probably continue for a bit.

The article blamed the lack of after school programs. Right. :rolleyes: Somehow I think these kids have a hard time attending "school", period.

I blame the parents and the kids to a lessor degree (Provided that they are minors). I'd be willing to bet these kids came from a single parent home where dad is gone. Men need to step up and be men and fathers - enough of this crap.

new to this forum, but thought i would add my comments. The Mayor claims in his state of the City address that crime is the best it has been in 25 years. Does anyone actually agree with this? Perception is everything, but 4 shootings in 3 days doesn't make me feel confident in his assessment

Yeah, that's a lie. I bet you.

Four shootings in three days, that's the best Hartford can hope for. Because, the people there don't have money, or stable jobs. And the youth there, they see no hope for the future. So they start hustling drugs and shooting each other cause it's the fun thing to do, the easy way to make a quick dollar.

We need to get these people some jobs, good paying ones. And make the people want them, instead of hustling and killing. When that happens, Hartford will get a crime drop. Until then, say hello to Scarface: Hartford edition.

There's probably been like 10 murders, but the media only found out about 3. You know they can't make things any worse for the city, hide some bodies on the side. They do this in Danbury, some shooting goes down in the project and it gets covered up ... unless an illegal immigrant did it. Then it's on the front page of the News-Times.

As anyone knows, stats can be manipulated to justify pretty much any position. Unfortunately the reality is that Hartford is becoming an increasingly more violent city, and the police department response to the violent crimes eats up resources resulting in a poor response to quality of life issues. Quality of life issues such as the drug dealing, car breaks, burglaries etc. are the crimes that are driving people out of Hartford and keeping people from moving back.

The homicide rate is a very poor indicator of actual crime in Hartford, Homicides make great headlines and terrific "breaking news" video, but in reality can not be controlled or pinpointed to any specific area or class in the city.Several years ago the homicide rate skyrocketed as the result of an arsonist setting a nursing home on fire. An isolated incident, unpredictable by any police department, but made the stats look outrageous. What should bother everyone is the gun violence and increased shooting incidents, especially being committed by young people.

This is not entirely a Police Department problem. We can only hire so many cops and build so many jails. Hartford, and most cities, need to have the guts to address the root cause and make change. This begins with solid leadership and people willing to forget "political correctness" and attacak the problem head on. Children having children without a family stucture to help them. A young person having a child does not realize the importance of an education of their own, never mind realizing the importance of one for their child. And many of these young " parents" feel the despair in their own lives, and are unable to get meaningful jobs to support their own children so the downward spiral continues.

It's not popular to say, but it's the reality.Our youth need alternatives to keep their attention and move them in the right direction, and whatever is being done now obviously isn't working

Stats being manipulated isn't likely the issue. Anyone who has lived in Hartford and is over twenty knows the city isn't increasingly more violent. Any one who lived here in the early nineties can attest to that. It deceptions like that that give Hartford an even less desirable rep than it deserves, and it does plenty to make itself look bad. The city is not increasingly more violent to validly make that point you'd have to have statistics to prove it.

The period you are referring to is the late eighties and early nineties when "gangs" were in their peak in Hartford and much of the violence was gang related. It was also at a point when HPD was at some of it's highest staffing levels and with help from the State Police and the feds, the gangs were dismantled and prison terms were handed out. Unfortunately, what we are seeing now are these people now being released from prison and trying to reorganize, drawing in younger followers. The gangs aren't nearly as organized as they were during the period you mentioned, but if they aren't kept in check they will be. This isn't just my thinking, but can be verified by asking any knowledgeable person from HPD. Much of the gun violence is attributed to gangs trying to reclaim or extend their "turf".

Archived