PROPOSED: Lawton Family Realty Warehouse Condos

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This situation presented the most perfect opportunity for on street parking, at least on a small scale. I find it hard to believe that we are now stuck with the gas station on the corner because of a few measly parking spots. Will the Zoning Board of Review ever "get it?"

I haven't asked Kari, but are there any plans to appeal the ZBR's decision?

The US Gas solution to the parking problem contributes N O T H I N G to Westminster Street and is simply going to "enhance" an existing and quite visible eyesore.

This one really is a catch-22 - do you leave the historic building vacant? or do you allow a viable project go ahead, with the unfortunate side effect of some surface parking on westminster? Even if on-street parking was allowed, it would be tough to market condos without parking. That particular building just has the unfornate siting associated with being completed land-locked on all sides, so its tough to get a feasible new use in there.

I agree with Jen though, there should definitely have been a provision that they build the new "property management" office to the street. The ZBR has made these conditions before - I don't know why they wouldn't do it now.

My question is that if this allows for future development for US gas - where would the cars go then? I assume the spots will be deeded to the units? If so, it seems like this could make it a difficult thing to change once it is in place.

My other question (kind of unrelated) is on the general viability. The condo's on the corner of harrison and westminster have been on the market for what, a year now? The prices keep being lowered but they dont seem to be moving. Im curious as to how the developers think they will ever manage to move 20 units. On the upside, if they do, maybe it will spur some more retail in the neighborhood. We need it badly.

Shame on me for not having been to some of the hearings - The first I heard of the project was yesterday, which is pretty rediculous since it is on my street. I'm sure if I actually got my butt to WBNA once in a while I would have known about it way back when...

Liam

Oh, and one other thing - Did they ever get the OK to tear down the houses on the alleyway behind it? I would certainly rather see them come down than more cars at US Gas.

My question is that if this allows for future development for US gas - where would the cars go then? I assume the spots will be deeded to the units? If so, it seems like this could make it a difficult thing to change once it is in place.

My other question (kind of unrelated) is on the general viability. The condo's on the corner of harrison and westminster have been on the market for what, a year now? The prices keep being lowered but they dont seem to be moving. Im curious as to how the developers think they will ever manage to move 20 units. On the upside, if they do, maybe it will spur some more retail in the neighborhood. We need it badly.

Shame on me for not having been to some of the hearings - The first I heard of the project was yesterday, which is pretty rediculous since it is on my street. I'm sure if I actually got my butt to WBNA once in a while I would have known about it way back when...

Liam

Oh, and one other thing - Did they ever get the OK to tear down the houses on the alleyway behind it? I would certainly rather see them come down than more cars at US Gas.

I think if people came to meetings and listened to the hearing and the deliberation you may learn that there are more sides to a story than what is presented on UP and in the ProJo. You might conclude that ZBR members are your neighbors and are urban enthusiasts and they have a lot of the same concerns that you do and are charged to make difficult decisions.

Archived