Downtown entryways/gateways

krazeeboi

I think Columbia should start thinking about ways to make statements at all major downtown entryways/gateways, complete with "Welcome to Downtown Columbia" signage of the same color/design scheme as the wayfinding signs and landscaping. Perhaps even some monuments or small gardens would be ideal. What do you guys think about that?

Also, what would you all consider to be the significant downtown entryways/gateways? The three that come most readily to my mind are at the Blossom and Gervais Street bridges and the Main/Elmwood intersection.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I 100% disagree with the notion of signage. "Welcome to Downtown" is something that is not needed in Columbia. There is no way you could mistake being in downtown for being somewhere else. The identity that exists is strong enough that this type of thing would look bad for Columbia. Any city of reasonable size should avoid this at all costs. It may be appropriate for some small town, but not for a city.

The only signange I would be in favor of is some sort of district signange that is attached to street signs. They have these in Charleston and Charlotte that identify historic neighborhoods or districts (eg: Radcliffeborough, French Quarter, South of Broad, etc. in Charleston; 4th Ward, SouthEnd, Plaza-Midwood, etc. in Charlotte). Columbia could have some for Arsenal Hill, The Vista, Five Points, Elmwood Park, the old Northeast (Hampton St) neighborhood, Olympia, USC, Shandon, etc. I think you would build more neighborhood identity and thus more community support by doing this than anything else.

An attractive, well landscaped, entryway is always a good idea, however, so long as it feels natural-as though it was meant to be there. For example, entering downtown on Bull Street.

I think it would be extremely difficult to figure out where downtown ends and where it begins. I would like to see "Welcome to Columbia" signs though, with the same design as the way finding signs. I would also like to see all interchanges and major corridors into the city become more attractive (I know I'm asking alot, lol), especially on the Lexington County side. The Charleston Hwy., 302 (airport), and US-1 exits are in pretty bad shape. How come there isn't a nice, large "Welcome to Columbia" sign (or any at all) on I-126, the largest, most traveled entry into the city? :dontknow:

I 100% disagree with the notion of signage. "Welcome to Downtown" is something that is not needed in Columbia. There is no way you could mistake being in downtown for being somewhere else. The identity that exists is strong enough that this type of thing would look bad for Columbia. Any city of reasonable size should avoid this at all costs. It may be appropriate for some small town, but not for a city.

I don't think that it is necessarily a bad idea, considering it says something more interesting like the ones described in reference to Greenville. :mellow: I do agree that there should be better signage for the specific areas of down town (ie Vista, Five Points, North East, South East...). :thumbsup: I also think there needs to be better signage simply for the Columbia Area as a whole (that which includes all the counties). :whistling:

:offtopic: Why is there no gateway into SC on I-20 like that on I-95.

The only signange I would be in favor of is some sort of district signange that is attached to street signs. They have these in Charleston and Charlotte that identify historic neighborhoods or districts (eg: Radcliffeborough, French Quarter, South of Broad, etc. in Charleston; 4th Ward, SouthEnd, Plaza-Midwood, etc. in Charlotte). Columbia could have some for Arsenal Hill, The Vista, Five Points, Elmwood Park, the old Northeast (Hampton St) neighborhood, Olympia, USC, Shandon, etc. I think you would build more neighborhood identity and thus more community support by doing this than anything else.

An attractive, well landscaped, entryway is always a good idea, however, so long as it feels natural-as though it was meant to be there. For example, entering downtown on Bull Street.

Personally, I'm completely against signage signalling that you now in downtown. I think cities that have huge Welcome to... signs feel like a giant subdivision or, sometimes even worse, like Disney World. The city should take that money and spend it on city improvements instead.

Think of great US and world cities. San Francisco, NYC, or Paris would never do this. I'm not saying Cola is in the same league, but we can act like we are.

I agree that small, district signs attached to the street signs could be nice.

• 1 month later...

I think that we ought to have planted palm trees and greenery at the main entryways to downtown (much like the median after the Gervais St. Bridge). The fountain and landscaping at the ramp from I-126 to Huger St. is also nice, it's just hard to see. I would like to see the whole Bull St. corridor from 277 to the Mental Hospital should be landscaped with Palms down the medians. Also, instead of "Welcome to Columbia" signs, they should put the directional signs at the entryways.

^ Agreed. Nothing wrong with creating an attractive entrance. I just don't like the signs that say "Welcome to downtown" ... now, if they were to say "Welcome to Columbia" or "Columbia Welcomes You," that would be a different scenario.

I think that we ought to have planted palm trees and greenery at the main entryways to downtown (much like the median after the Gervais St. Bridge). The fountain and landscaping at the ramp from I-126 to Huger St. is also nice, it's just hard to see. I would like to see the whole Bull St. corridor from 277 to the Mental Hospital should be landscaped with Palms down the medians. Also, instead of "Welcome to Columbia" signs, they should put the directional signs at the entryways.

Archived