New Bedford Photos

gregrc75

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay, finally some pics of New Beige! That city has much more potential than Fall River IMO. It's streetsacpes are already much nicer and its downtown has nice short, square blocks, much like Portland, OR. Can't wait til the JFK is torn apart!

• 1 month later...

I never really understood why Boston was the only "real city" in Massachusetts. New Bedford/Fall River and Springfield always struck me as having so much potential to become second cities (ie Pittsburgh::Philadelphia, Buffalo::NYC, Mobile::Birminham). I wonder why it happened that Boston ended up as the only "real city".

New Bedford and Nantucket were among the largest cities in the state and the wealthiest in the country during the whaling period. Whaling ended and Nantucket became a theme park and New Bedford became a backwater. New Bedford still has the most productive fishing fleet in the country, but that doesn't translate into wealth or power today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I never really understood why Boston was the only "real city" in Massachusetts. New Bedford/Fall River and Springfield always struck me as having so much potential to become second cities (ie Pittsburgh::Philadelphia, Buffalo::NYC, Mobile::Birminham). I wonder why it happened that Boston ended up as the only "real city".

Archived