Texarkana, AR vs. Texarkana, TX, or Texarkana, USA?

Spaceman Spiff

How well do the towns of Texarkana, TX and Texarkana, AR work together? It's always seemed to me that Texarkana is a suprisingly large city, (in Arkansas terms at least) with much more to offer than I think most would expect. If you combine the two cities population, you're looking at 60-65,000 folks. There's quite a bit of shopping available, and good infrastructure.

Is there much of a TX vs. AR thing going on between the two towns, trying to "one-up" each other as it were, or do the cities mostly work together? I would imagine that there are some redundancies and inefficiencies due to two governments.

It's also seemed to me that in the past at least, most of the development has been on the Texas side of the border. Is there some reason for this? Better tax laws? Some perception that the Texas side is "better"? Is the land simply more suitable on that side of the border?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Arkansas side has a lot more poverty, and just never developed up like the Texas side did. There is a definite Texas vs. Arkansas thing going on in Texarkana, and it's deeply-rooted. My in-laws won't even live in the Arkansas side because they're Texas devotees. Yes, I'm serious. There are actually a lot of people in Texarkana who think this way.

How well do the towns of Texarkana, TX and Texarkana, AR work together? It's always seemed to me that Texarkana is a suprisingly large city, (in Arkansas terms at least) with much more to offer than I think most would expect. If you combine the two cities population, you're looking at 60-65,000 folks. There's quite a bit of shopping available, and good infrastructure.

Is there much of a TX vs. AR thing going on between the two towns, trying to "one-up" each other as it were, or do the cities mostly work together? I would imagine that there are some redundancies and inefficiencies due to two governments.

It's also seemed to me that in the past at least, most of the development has been on the Texas side of the border. Is there some reason for this? Better tax laws? Some perception that the Texas side is "better"? Is the land simply more suitable on that side of the border?

There is definitely a rivalry between the 2 cities. When I-49 was announced that they may build part of it through the Tx side many people on the Arkansas side had a fit! Eventually it was decided to build the whole Texarkana portion through the Ark side. It doesn't stop there. Even high school football games between the 2 cities is a city wide affair. The cities mostly work together but there has been some intense competition between the 2 cities over businesses. Great thread Brian! Thanks for posting it.

I'm sorry I meant to say thanks to Spaceman Spiff.

How integrated are the two cities? Are there any shared agencies (like Central Arkansas Water here in the Little Rock area) or are there two of everything?

Has there been any new development on the Arkansas side due to the completed sections of future I-49 south to Shreveport?

As far as utilities we just share a facility such as the water company. Now as far as agencies like government we have 2 of everything. As far as any new development taking place since the completed freeway portion of I-49 there have only been a couple of subdivisions but I've heard rumors of gas stations, hotels, restaurants and truck stops being put in along that route.

Archived