The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

Hmmm.. I must have deleted this instead of posting.

Anyway, I recommend visiting the GRPL to see this exhibit at the Main Library:

"Explore the evolution of Monroe Avenue from its rustic beginnings at Grab Corner to the glamour of DeVos Place. What started as a retail district with the dimestore block, department store windows, and parade of cars, now encompasses entertainment, restaurants, condos, government offices and more. Drawn from the Library

Anyway, I recommend visiting the GRPL to see this exhibit at the Main Library:

"Explore the evolution of Monroe Avenue from its rustic beginnings at Grab Corner to the glamour of DeVos Place. What started as a retail district with the dimestore block, department store windows, and parade of cars, now encompasses entertainment, restaurants, condos, government offices and more. Drawn from the Library

I contacted some folks at this Main Street organization for advice. Main Street is forwarding our concerns to Lauren Adkins, Assistant Director of Field Services, and Nick Kalogeresis, Field Services representative who handles Main Street issues in Michigan on this message so they can advise us further if possible.

My contact mentioned that we should converse with The Michigan State Housing Development Authority. You can reach Laura Krisov (Assistant Director), at [email protected], or by calling 517.335.5883. We can also contact other Michigan Main Streets by choosing Michigan from the drop down menu at this page: http://www.mainstreet.org/content.aspx?pag...&section=15

Any further conversations by Main Street I will be sure to pass along to the Retail Task Force.

Main Street Approach:

http://www.mainstreet.org/content.aspx?page=3&section=2

Is the Main Street Approach Right for You?

http://www.mainstreet.org/content.aspx?pag...9&section=2

Checklist Approach:

http://www.mainstreet.org/content.aspx?page=57&section=2

Edited by Rizzo

I contacted some folks at this Main Street organization for advice. ... My contact mentioned that we should converse with The Michigan State Housing Development Authority. ...

I don't see the connection, unless it pertains to condos?

Main Street has done a lot for places with traditional DT (e.g. Pontiac, Royal Oak, Farmington) and IIRC they/it stay(s) away from the Twp-turned-city location that lacks a tangible DT (Wyoming, Kentwood, Southfield, Farmington Hills).

One of my Sunday papers' ETA: PARADE magazine included an insert from Pure Michigan. Lots of ads, photos, and advertorials for various tourist sites. Features on Detroit, The Henry Ford, the Mackinac bridge, couple other places.

And we're still KIAS'ing.

Edited by Veloise

Some interesting updates on our Monroe Center inventory tour last night:

This "For Lease" sign in this entrance to Ledyard was moved up to just above the door, no longer making it look like a vacant storefront (thank you Dodgson Realty or whoever did that! :) )

484507922_54254fcf72.jpg

The leasing of this spot on the corner is now being handled by NAI. Still cannot find a listing on the CARWM site :dunno:

484507938_25d31a0eeb.jpg

Still no listing on CARWM for this space next to Van Hoecks shoes:

484507940_03277489c5.jpg

Still no listing on CARWM for the old City Market space. The window boxes need to be replaced, or covered over:

484514352_fec076d1f6.jpg

484514356_8b97d3f0fe.jpg

Still no listing for this space on CARWM:

484554513_d36b964862.jpg

This is still an eyesore and a black eye on Monroe Center. No listing for this space or the one next door on CARWM. Is this building still owned by a prominent real estate agent at Grubb & Ellis? Or is that another mystery?

484557723_5201f2b5f9.jpg

This window is now actually papered over so you can't see the junk and the old shopping cart. It's at least a start.

484557725_c87b67d637.jpg

No listing on CARWM for the bookstore, which is still stuck in a time warp (even with bundles of On-The-Town in the lobby untouched)

http://www.carwm.com/Property-Search.jsp

Incredible amount of foot traffic last night between 6:30 - 9:00 on Monroe Center, and not just dinner-goers. As some of us observed, it was like people were walking around just looking for places to spend their money.

Next stop, Downtown Alliance and/or DDA

It was a great time last night. Lots of good ideas thrown out there.

As GRDad and I stood near Rosa Parks chatting, it was amazing to see how many people were hanging out downtown soaking in the sights. Wallets in hand but nobody open to take their money. We need to change that!

So many little things can get the ball rolling. It'll be exciting to watch our ideas come to fruition (and I'm positive they will).

Joe

This is worth putting into electrons for further study:

Jeff suggested an "M:" store, a mini-Meijer, with two floors of a vertically-oriented building packed full of retail. Excellent produce and meats, probably not so much on furniture and bulky stock items. Reasonable retail hours, but not 24/7/364.

DT. (Space suggestions welcome; we mentioned Area 4/5.)

This was supported by other comments about Meijer's attempt at a warehouse membership club store chain, and other things they've tried.

This is worth putting into electrons for further study:

Jeff suggested an "M:" store, a mini-Meijer, with two floors of a vertically-oriented building packed full of retail. Excellent produce and meats, probably not so much on furniture and bulky stock items. Reasonable retail hours, but not 24/7/364.

DT. (Space suggestions welcome; we mentioned Area 4/5.)

This was supported by other comments about Meijer's attempt at a warehouse membership club store chain, and other things they've tried.

I can't take credit Karen. I think it was either Joe or John, and he had a cool name: M squared, like this.

I don't mean to be the uber-cynic, but haven't we covered why Meijer will not build downtown else where on this board? Is it even worth wasting our finger strength discussing that further?

Another point mentioned was: "Fred, give it a try. You can keep donating your money to hospitals and heart centers and gardens and bicycle trails, but you can also give this a shot.

It would be great for the community and you might make a profit. Or break even. You can afford to test it, and if it works, DT Detroit, here we come."

I don't mean to be the uber-cynic, but haven't we covered why Meijer will not build downtown else where on this board? Is it even worth wasting our finger strength discussing that further?

I agree twoshort. I even think this question was publically asked to the current CEO and said there wasn't any interest at this time for a downtown store.

Another point mentioned was: "Fred, give it a try. You can keep donating your money to hospitals and heart centers and gardens and bicycle trails, but you can also give this a shot.

It would be great for the community and you might make a profit. Or break even. You can afford to test it, and if it works, DT Detroit, here we come."

Veloise, (I could be wrong about this) I think we are talking about two different animals: One being the monies that Mr. Meijer has given towards downtown has come from his own poket and not the corporate pocket (or budget) of the Meijer Corporation. If a downtown store were to open I would think it should be feasible from a corporate stand point and not from a personal one (just my two cents).

Veloise, (I could be wrong about this) I think we are talking about two different animals: One being the monies that Mr. Meijer has given towards downtown has come from his own poket and not the corporate pocket (or budget) of the Meijer Corporation. If a downtown store were to open I would think it should be feasible from a corporate stand point and not from a personal one (just my two cents).

I am relating what was verbally stated last night. (No batteries in my cam corder, so we're going from memory.) We mentioned several of the good works going on in this context.

Chris Knape informally asked Mark Murray if they ever considered moving the corporate HQ's downtown and he was taken aback, and said it had never entered their mind. I don't believe the subject of an urban store has ever been broached with Meijer. I spoke with an architect who does a lot of work for Meijer and bounced the idea off of him, his response was "they want a lot of parking". I said, "how about a couple of floor of parking on the roof" and he looked at me like he'd never heard of the concept before. Just parlaying.

Excerpt:

1. Murray said the company has no plans for downtown stores at this time.

He specifically said the company hasn't looked at building or buying stores in the city of Detroit, and said Meijer wasn't a big enough presence in Chicago to do a higher risk store closer to downtown. "Our intention is to stay in the suburban rings until we have a more substantial presence" in Chicago. Downtown GR? Fuhgeddaboudit.

2. Meijer isn't interested in trying new concepts.

It is sticking with refining its superstore concept and size -- for good reason. Does anyone remember Source Club, Meijer's ill-fated Sam's Club/Costco knockoff? Didn't think so.

Murray said Meijer isn't looking at smaller neighborhood markets (it won't be buying Farmer Jack) or a Whole Foods competitor.

Excerpt:

Last night Dad was having a fun time commenting on the changes made to various storefronts. After our last meeting, he'd posted photos of offenders and suggested solutions. Et voila! My point is: we can effect positive change on this forum. (It's not like we're cutting down trees or burning oil to post these ideas.)

I recall reading on here a couple years back that various Meijers folk read this forum. Try googling some of the comments anywhere on the Planet, and you'll get hits leading back here.

I recall reading on here a couple years back that various Meijers folk read this forum. Try googling some of the comments anywhere on the Planet, and you'll get hits leading back here.

In that case, to the Meijer folks, pleaaase consider a M2!! Do you really want to be a player? Walmart has already done it. Think of the geographic area that Meijer hasn't covered due to the required store size--much of Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Chicago, Ft. Wayne, Toledo, etc... If not, there's always Spartan :whistling:

Meijer Hiring Real Estate Manager/Scout

In that case, to the Meijer folks, pleaaase consider a M2!! Do you really want to be a player? Walmart has already done it. Think of the geographic area that Meijer hasn't covered due to the required store size--much of Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Chicago, Ft. Wayne, Toledo, etc... If not, there's always Spartan :whistling:

Meijer Hiring Real Estate Manager/Scout

Meijer

urban downtown site

condo dwellers

smaller venue

less parking

new concept

not a super center

think outside the box

Another topic we discussed was: why do we have flag-holders on all the light poles, but no flags? city money, installation and removal, maintenance...I mentioned that beautiful DT Standale sells sponsorships on their banners. Generic DDA flags (with flowers or seasonal icons) and a business name along the bottom.

ETA: Darn. They changed them. Taco Bell colors.

100_0027.jpg

Somehow these just don't work along the Standale DDA strip. I think they'd look a lot better against our old buildings and new-old parking decks. Previous editions were about the width of these Walgreen banners.

100_0029.jpg100_0030.jpg

ETA: Found 'em! Their impact fades into the Standale streetscape. I think some (better-designed) versions would look good DT, especially on Monroe Center.

standale1.jpg

standale2.jpg

standale4.jpg

Edited by Veloise