The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

At the meeting, DT vendors/street performers were discussed; folks thought that this type of activity should be encouraged. (DT Holland has a Thursday street performer event happening. Windsor ONT has a busker festival sometime in the summer.)

So I asked my favorite city's planning staff about that pending vendor/performer ordinance.

The new downtown vending ordinance is in draft and under review by the city's attorney office. We are planning on hosting an informational meeting with the police department and existing downtown vendors to discuss the new ordinance. The key issue that needs to be resolved is evening vending and how late should we permit vendors to vend?

We hope to have the new ordinance adopted by the end of summer, if not sooner.

At the meeting, DT vendors/street performers were discussed; folks thought that this type of activity should be encouraged.

To clarify, when would buskers would be encouraged? Do you mean 1) on a particular day of the summer, 2) on a particular day of the week, or 3) all the time?

I'm still new in town, but does GR have any downtown events specifically focused on retail? I'm thinking of my hometown's downtown retail events, which include a Midnight Madness event, Sidewalk Sales, and Lagnyaippe ("Lan-yap"). All the local restaurants sell food outside and the vendors have tents on the sidewalks.

On the GR Downtown Development Authority (DDA) [http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=2599], these are the only programs I see:

-Building Reuse Incentives Program

-Streetscape Incentives Program

-Areaway Fill Incentives Program

Not that those are bad at all, but it's just a very different focus than I was expecting. In contrast, on the Rochester MI DDA [http://www.ci.rochester.mi.us/visiting/dda.asp] site, here is a list of the events they do to promote downtown:

The DDA partners with the downtown merchants to sponsor many great events in the downtown, including the following: Spring Gallery Stroll (April), Farmers' Market (May thru Oct), Girls Night Out (May), Heritage Festival (Memorial Day Weekend), Soap Box Derby (June), River Day (June), Summer Gallery Stroll (June), Movies in the Moonlight (July), Sidewalk Sales (July), Rockin' Rods 'n Rochester (August), Spotlights Art Show (September), Art & Apples Festival (September), Fall Gallery Stroll (September), Girls Night Out (October), Trick or Treat / Last Day at the Farmers' Market (Sat. before Halloween), Gener-ROCH-City (November), Lagniappe & Tree Lighting Ceremony (Thanksgiving Weekend) , Greater Rochester Hometown Christmas Parade (First Sunday in December).

The website touts a gift certificate that you can buy and use at most of the local shops downtown. I've not yet seen a sidewalk sale event, but perhaps I missed it (cooped up in the office!).

This is getting long, but I'm really interested to hear people's opinions of how GR promotes retail-centered events, and what they'd like to see. :)

To clarify, when would buskers would be encouraged? Do you mean 1) on a particular day of the summer, 2) on a particular day of the week, or 3) all the time?

I'm still new in town, but does GR have any downtown events specifically focused on retail? I'm thinking of my hometown's downtown retail events, which include a Midnight Madness event, Sidewalk Sales, and Lagnyaippe ("Lan-yap"). All the local restaurants sell food outside and the vendors have tents on the sidewalks.

On the GR Downtown Development Authority (DDA) [http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=2599], these are the only programs I see:

-Building Reuse Incentives Program

-Streetscape Incentives Program

-Areaway Fill Incentives Program

Not that those are bad at all, but it's just a very different focus than I was expecting. In contrast, on the Rochester MI DDA [http://www.ci.rochester.mi.us/visiting/dda.asp] site, here is a list of the events they do to promote downtown:

The website touts a gift certificate that you can buy and use at most of the local shops downtown. I've not yet seen a sidewalk sale event, but perhaps I missed it (cooped up in the office!).

This is getting long, but I'm really interested to hear people's opinions of how GR promotes retail-centered events, and what they'd like to see. :)

All the coordination between downtown retailers is handled through the Downtown Alliance. I haven't heard of ANY special events like what you're referring to (sidewalk sales, midnight madness), but that is something we can put on our agenda to discuss with them next week.

That is a great big TBD. Presently street performers/vendors are neither encouraged nor discouraged because there's been no legal way of dealing with them. Presumably a new ordinance would establish time frames and boundaries.

Bad sax guy 1 seems to be out on Monroe Center all the time. Bad sax 2 is occasional. Professor-haired amplified violinist moved out to the Beltline. (Street tuba comes out only for parades/holidays.)

[former colleagues wanting to add to this, I'll post for you]

Notwithstanding the parking issue, I just wanted to say it would be awesome if an H & M went in the Keeler Building (semi-cheap, trendy outfits; would be a hit anywhere in the area). I went to an H&M in London that was multiple stories, and it was great.

Why don't the retailers have a system whereby they can validate parking cor 30 min-1 hr with or without a purchase? Many cities like Ann Arbor and E. Lansing have this, and it's surprisingly not abused as much as you'd think. This may be another Downtown Alliance suggestion. . . or is it already in place and I just don't know about it?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and yes.

If I remember correctly, they were getting ready to do a show. They had some very cool stuff--especially the "Thinker" bunny. Are they relocating or closing the doors for good? Maybe this is an example of businesses looking elsewhere due to higher rents in the CBD?

Did you guys talk to the DA about special events focusing on retail? I recall a gallery tour event last fall, did anyone go? I'm also curious to hear the DA's opinion on the empty storefronts, do storefronts remain empty because the rent is too high, because the spaces are too small/specialized/antiquated, or because there is no perceived 'retail market' downtown?

Did you guys talk to the DA about special events focusing on retail? I recall a gallery tour event last fall, did anyone go? I'm also curious to hear the DA's opinion on the empty storefronts, do storefronts remain empty because the rent is too high, because the spaces are too small/specialized/antiquated, or because there is no perceived 'retail market' downtown?

They don't believe rent is an issue, because most of the building owners are VERY flexible with rents right now. Their feeling is that they will continue to be empty until downtown is a viable retail market, which probably won't be until enough residents move downtown.

Needless to say, we don't agree. However, you have to realize Parhelion that some of these storefronts have been vacant for a LONG time. The City Market space next to Little Bohemia has been vacant for as long as I can remember (10 years?). I don't expect things to get better without some kind of unified recruiting effort, which the Downtown Alliance isn't thrilled about using their budget for something like that because it might bring in a competitor of an existing business (who pay for the budget through a tax capture DID). Although I would argue that just trying to have "one of everything" is going to continue to flounder.

We also brought up events like what you're talking about...festivals, sidewalk sales, back to school, etc. They said they have been working on something, but that's about as much as we know.

• 3 weeks later...