The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

I may make an appearance. What time of day?

Tuesday, August 31st, at 7 p.m. in the back of Four Friends. I just e-mailed those who said they were interested in receiving updates on our meet ups. If anybody wants to be added to this list, please PM me. At this meeting, we plan on taking our ideas from prior meetings and figuring out how to make some changes. All are welcome.

Any new blood want to show up for this meeting? You are more than welcome!

Joe

Yes, you won't believe how unbelieveably laid back and cool everyone is. :shades:

Speaking of retail, I noticed at lunch today that a lot of retailers had "sidewalk sales" going on, including Modern Floral, the watch repair place, F David Barney (?) clothing shop, Little Bohemia/Gina's and a couple of others. Looked great! The sidewalks and RPC were packed with people today. No camera! Doh!

Yes, you won't believe how unbelieveably laid back and cool everyone is. :shades:

Speaking of retail, I noticed at lunch today that a lot of retailers had "sidewalk sales" going on, including Modern Floral, the watch repair place, F David Barney (?) clothing shop, Little Bohemia/Gina's and a couple of others. Looked great! The sidewalks and RPC were packed with people today. No camera! Doh!

Huh? I thought sidewalk sales were a no-no (ref: comments at our offishul meeting and Superior Watch Repair during Festival).

Huh? I thought sidewalk sales were a no-no (ref: comments at our offishul meeting and Superior Watch Repair during Festival).

Me too. Jay Fowler did say they were tweaking some things (possibly based on our discussions here?), so maybe they're allowing them at certain times now???

I'd love to join you all for that meeting but am closing at my semi-retail establishment downtown that day. You all should stop by if you have a chance! We just launched a new Men's Line of hair products and I will solicit you shamelessly for a donation to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation

Last night's paper contained a tabloid 4-page insert with ads for DT. The psycho olive graphic was there, but not KIAS. "Enjoy it now" was. Little business card-sized display ads for all the usual suspects on MC and nearby.

I would have included photos of people having fun, in addition to the model-staged pics of couples dining. Maybe a shot of Bad Sax Guy near the DTA flower containers? Chalked drawings out front of West Coast? Small kidlets enjoying the steam feature?

There might be one or two non-scary patrons of BOTM who would be happy to pose. (No, not Nipple Ring Guy.)

Last night's paper contained a tabloid 4-page insert with ads for DT. The psycho olive graphic was there, but not KIAS. "Enjoy it now" was. Little business card-sized display ads for all the usual suspects on MC and nearby.

I would have included photos of people having fun, in addition to the model-staged pics of couples dining. Maybe a shot of Bad Sax Guy near the DTA flower containers? Chalked drawings out front of West Coast? Small kidlets enjoying the steam feature?

There might be one or two non-scary patrons of BOTM who would be happy to pose. (No, not Nipple Ring Guy.)

This might not be the right thread for KIAS, but... since it was brought up. I have to ask why is this KIAS always followed up by the foreshadowing comment, "Enjoy it now." Its not going to last? Almost, as if Grand Rapids is going to change drastically and be the "in" thing and there's no longer going to be a piece of the pie for me when I get home? Who the hell are these people scaring me to put my stake in the ground before the rush?

By the way, I think Seth and Chris could sell Grand Rapids way better....

Edited by Rizzo

This might not be the right thread for KIAS, but... since it was brought up. I have to ask why is this KIAS always followed up by the foreshadowing comment, "Enjoy it now." Its not going to last? Almost, as if Grand Rapids is going to change drastically and be the "in" thing and there's no longer going to be a piece of the pie for me when I get home? Who the hell are these people scaring me to put my stake in the ground before the rush?

By the way, I think Seth and Chris could sell Grand Rapids way better....

">

Reminder: this is tonight!

Tuesday, EDIT: JULY 31st, at 7 p.m. in the back of Four Friends. I just e-mailed those who said they were interested in receiving updates on our meet ups. If anybody wants to be added to this list, please PM me. At this meeting, we plan on taking our ideas from prior meetings and figuring out how to make some changes. All are welcome.

In the back, near the couches.

The Friends' A/C is sometimes not robust, so you likely won't need your spare sweatshirt.

Edited by Veloise

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't decide whether to post this here or on the restaurant thread, but it does give an idea of the struggles that even downtown eateries are having. Ritz Coney Island is requesting a transfer of a liquor license to help their business. They're only bringing in a 1/3 of the revenue they need to to be viable, and it's all lunchtime crowds. They only get dinner business when there is a "family-oriented" show at the arena.

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/meeting.pl?m...amp;type=agenda

I couldn't decide whether to post this here or on the restaurant thread, but it does give an idea of the struggles that even downtown eateries are having. Ritz Coney Island is requesting a transfer of a liquor license to help their business. They're only bringing in a 1/3 of the revenue they need to to be viable, and it's all lunchtime crowds. They only get dinner business when there is a "family-oriented" show at the arena.

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/meeting.pl?m...amp;type=agenda

I've got to tell ya, Ritz struggles because they have the craziest hours. I've never eaten there, I've tried a few times, but they were either closed or ran out of hot dogs.

I'm guessing you can't make much money with a bunch of people wandering around on the street and no dogs to serve them with......

I've got to tell ya, Ritz struggles because they have the craziest hours. I've never eaten there, I've tried a few times, but they were either closed or ran out of hot dogs.

I'm guessing you can't make much money with a bunch of people wandering around on the street and no dogs to serve them with......

i agree, everytime I go by they are closed, in face they are closed 2/3 of the time :)