The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

Either that or an after hours post box? I can't think of any banks in the building, but the post office is right next door.

I believe that Macatawa has some of their investment people in the Ledyard building. I would be very happy if they put an ATM there, as they currently don't have any anywhere downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we lost another retailer downtown. Per Chris Knape, Brian Kelly's Photography Room on Ionia SW is closing.

Yeah, after almost 7 years we aren't renewing our lease. I would have loved to keep it going but fortunately I'm so busy with commercial photography and film projects (www.briankellyphoto.net) that it really didn't make much sense to keep the gallery operation going.

All told I owned two different galleries that spanned the last 12 years or so. We opened our first place on the heels of the arena opening in 1997. It was a great run but it's time to move on to other interests. :thumbsup:

Walked by the former Herkner space tonight, and heavy demo was going on in the main floor space. Appeared the door from Ottawa with a stair up to the second floor was open as well. Very large dumpster sitting on Ottawa Ave.

I was hoping to get a clue here as to what is going on. Any one with some scoop? Is it something new, or just white boxing it to make it more presentable to a potential tenant. Working on this at 9:30 at night makes it seem a bit more urgent, and looked like professional construction people, not just some moonlighters.

This truly is a great retail location, with store frontage on two busy streets. Hopefully some news soon!

Yesterday.

ledyard.jpg

The woodwork is very nice. I am guessing that the walk-up hole will become an ATM.

99% sure I saw a Macatawa sign above the hole Sunday when I walked by.

Leased! Although I'm not sure for which space in 15 Ionia. I think this sign is for the front space, which used to be Gallery Noir maybe? Photography Room was in the back.

3075520438_42f543b705_b.jpg

Maybe Bar Divani is taking over all these spaces?

http://www.bar-divani.com/event_rooms/noir_gallery.htm

I don't know who is in there but I can tell you for sure that it's not Bar Divani. When I was in talks w/CWD about extending our lease at the gallery, this space was talked about but they said there was already "strong interest" in the space. So it's a done deal whoever it is. I'll keep you posted if I hear who went in.

Well being from the burbs I can honestly say I don't get to spend a lot of time in downtown GR...but Monday I had to drive a friend down to Ledyard for a meeting and we walked around a few blocks afterwards - I am just really so disappointed with all the empty storefronts in downtown and coming from the burbs I say to myself after walking around "well no wonder why I shop at the mega malls and strip malls."

I guess I can understand with the recession going on and the economy on a downward spiral that these places aren't rushed to be filled in with new stores...but I found my downtown trip to be quite depressing in some aspects. However, I did enjoy a nice coffee at the very very small Biggby's..those guys really need to get a door on one of the window sides or something. Very confusing figuring out how the heck to get in there...and then I stopped into flanagan's for lunch - that was fabulous.

Anyways, this got me thinking...

I know that there's been many discussions in the past, especially in this thread, about getting some more retail in the downtown area...I think the emptying of all these store fronts in a weird way is kind of a good thing...obviously bad for the economy and what not...but it would seem to me that an abundant amount of available space would give a group of retailers the notion to set up shop and finally give downtown GR the vibrancy it deserves. Perhaps I'm just sounding like a broken record on this - but this is getting me in the mood to want to start a franchise downtown to wake some people up that GR can have a MUCH better downtown.

PS - I didn't have a problem with parking.

Edited by blueradon

I really like what they did with the space where the Little Bohemia shoe store used to be- covered it with a black fabric and advertised the Division Ave. Arts Market. If only they could do that with the other Monroe Center vacant storefronts. . .

Is it black? I noticed it was a very bright display window treatment. Gosh, seems like the DT retail task force was brainstorming that last time we met...

Speaking of DT retail, remember the holiday event held last year? This year it's tied in with the GRAM tree lighting, ice rink opening, and I forget what else TOMORROW NIGHT. Friday, Friday! All that's lacking is scores of dressed-up characters...

ETA: found this on GR Now.

A special evening in downtown Grand Rapids is scheduled for December 5, 2008, where several businesses and organizations collaborate to offer an expanded holiday experience in the city. A variety of popular holiday events-tree lighting, ice skating opener and downtown merchant specials previously scheduled independently-are celebrated together this year to provide the community with an afternoon and evening packed with diverse entertainment options.

The Downtown Alliance is once again sponsoring "Get Your Joy On" specials with merchants in the area. Unique shops and restaurants downtown will stay open late, offering gift-giving deals, music and refreshments. Free horse-drawn trolley rides are offered; tickets will be available through participating merchants. Coupons for 60 minutes free parking at four downtown ramps will be widely distributed. "Get Your Joy On" events are scheduled to begin at 4:00pm and will go on into the evening.

http://events.grnow.com/events/index.php?c...2&year=2008

Edited by Veloise

• 1 month later...

Greetings all. I am posting to finally tell you that we will be soft opening tomorrow. We'll be open 8am - 11pm and we're planning on having live music tomorrow night and just celebrating our first night in business. If you're downtown stop in and see what we've done with the place. cheers.

Edited by tjorlet

• 2 weeks later...

I merged a couple of similar topics together (retail discussion with Mad Cap, etc.).

According to the Press today, there's a new 3000 sf Cafe Kabob coming to 80 Ottawa (Aldrich Building/Van Hoeks).

I also noticed while ice-skating yesterday that there is a new fitness center in the space next to Subway in the Founders building.