The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

This is the earliest facade I've seen.  I'm guessing early 50's. I assume the building is older then that and that the above facade isn't original.  But the storefront entry in the above image may be original to the building. But that storefront is long gone.

I have no idea what is behind the existing mansard? Awning? I'm not sure what you call it.

Original facade was Italianate, similar to what you see on the corner, and across at the Peck Building. There is a picture floating around right now showing it.  This facade, I would guess, is from the 1930's.  The cars in this pic seem to be from the late 30's early 40's. 

Edited by mpchicago

Is the original facade completely destroyed?  This design definitely isn't going from bad to great.  More like a '60s version of crappy to a modern version of crappy.  :sick:

I still think it's a big improvement over the current urban renewal. 

• Like 1

There's some design review going on over at The Salon, e.g. someone's pointed out the impracticality of a plate glass window that goes all the way to grade. My guess: this is a beta artist rendition, perhaps sponsored by an athletic shoe company.

Don't the new storefronts on Jefferson (Bartertown, et al) go all the way to the ground?

Thread moved to this topic in case you're lost.

They repainted the facade this summer, so I thought there would be a few more years of the ugliness. I walk past this place several times a week, and a neon sign would tie the entire block together, including UICA and TowerPinkster across the street.

A neon sign and Chew's new building? Now we're talking about a retail center. And if the police station left its lights on a night, it would feel downright safe and cozy!  

• 1 month later...

That was a very good read. Interesting that they can't "give away" the old Family Fare at 28th and Cascade.

And I'm wondering what is "right across from the new Trader Joe's" that is re-developable. Chuck-E-Cheese? :)

Did anyone else notice that Kilwin's downtown has paper on all the windows? Are they closing?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting to see a few new retailers moving into downtown: 

- Reynolds and Sons (not new, but actually looka like a retailer now)

https://www.ruvilla.com/ (First floor of the Tower-Pinkster building)

http://www.brothersleathersupply.com/  (opening on Division across from Villa)

Joe

This also moved/opened on Division just recently.

http://www.spreadingthewoosah.com/

Sounds like the majority of Arena Place retail space has been rented, with the last suite planned to be rented in the next few weeks (according to Orion).

http://www.grbj.com/articles/82953?utm_content=buffer47b0c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That's interesting that they're providing a ride-share car to residents.