The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

On 11/4/2017 at 10:56 PM, joeDowntown said:

I think it’s a lousy use of space, especially on Monroe Center. I thought someone else had tried first floor office space on Monroe Center a few years back and it was denied. 

Joe

Wasn't it some kind of dental practice? 

I totally agree.  There seems to be plenty of office space available or in development.  This seems like a step backward for downtown.

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, mpchicago said:

That's a shame, a loss for Downtown if true.  I visited every year at AP.  What kid (or adult) doesn't want ice cream?   

17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

They were probably hoping you (and everyone else) would stop by more than once a year. :rofl:

They can also still walk about 4 doors down and get Ice Cream..

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

Is anyone else worried about all of the empty retail space in new/renovated buildings?  Morton, 38 Commerce, Fulton Place, 20 E Fulton, Olds Manor......

The big problem is that they're all so spread out. A retail store, even a coffee shop, cannot live on the people in their own building. They need a cluster around them of other residential buildings. Retailers know that.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, jthrasher said:

Why can't Monroe Center be similar to how downtown Holland is?   Or anywhere in downtown GR for that matter.   Downtown needs a serious push towards retail and grocery if they want more people to move downtown.

How so? Downtown Holland is cute for sure, albeit a bit boring, but I don't think they're an easy comparison. Holland is technically a tourist town with an obscene amount of wealth and seasonal influx of shoppers. While downtown Holland has more, successful retail locations none of them could sustain a downtown resident. They've hit the nail on the head for a shopping destination though, similar to Gaslight Village. 

Edited by thebeerqueer

54 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

Mazzo is/was owned by Uccellos, so that makes sense. Peppinos sports bar concept seems to do well downtown, although it is a bit different clientele on Monroe Center vs Ionia. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just walked passed the cursed storefront between Grand Central Market and Brick & Porter on Monroe Center, and I see there is activity there. It's not a big space, but it appears the two suites are being combined at least. I hope it's not a revival of the vape shop! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Just walked passed the cursed storefront between Grand Central Market and Brick & Porter on Monroe Center, and I see there is activity there. It's not a big space, but it appears the two suites are being combined at least. I hope it's not a revival of the vape shop! 

Wine bar planned...

http://www.grbj.com/articles/90048-family-plans-wine-bar-downtown.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mpchicago said:

They just put one of those in the Trust Building, too.. "Forty Pearl".  Oddly, I have never seen the place open during the day, or even the early evening.  I'm giving that one about 6 months.  Hopefully this place will actually have customers in it... 

13 hours ago, x99 said:

They just put one of those in the Trust Building, too.. "Forty Pearl".  Oddly, I have never seen the place open during the day, or even the early evening.  I'm giving that one about 6 months.  Hopefully this place will actually have customers in it... 

Yeah honestly I feel the same. And I hate myself for being so negative. Perhaps many of the new nearby hotel guests will make a go of it...