The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

Jay tells me that the City has recently completed a DT retail inventory, so we can help publicize that.

"Add arts & entertainment strategy implementation to your list." Let's broaden the spectrum beyond "art galleries and ballet concerts."

Riding tonight I noticed a **lot** of trash (mentioned in another thread). Deee-troit holds an annual city-wide clean-up day, usually in late April. All over town you can see volunteers in matching shirts collecting and sacking garbage. We should do that here! (And ban plastic bags a la San Francisco.)

A question for you all....How many of you ACTUALLY support the retail that is already downtown?

Have you been to my shop...Vertigo Music? How about Savenger Hunt? All-City Kicks, etc?

Really...where are you? Stop talkin' and start supporting! Otherwise shut the f... up!

Best,

Herm...call me if you have a beef 742.5106..I'd love the conversation

A question for you all....How many of you ACTUALLY support the retail that is already downtown?

Have you been to my shop...Vertigo Music? How about Savenger Hunt? All-City Kicks, etc?

Really...where are you? Stop talkin' and start supporting! Otherwise shut the f... up!

Best,

A forum doesn't work that way and it shouldn't ever. I'm not sure if it was your intention to offend, but that is exactly what seems to be the tone. All the folks who responded in kind to the idea of retail downtown no matter their lack of purchases downtown has a valid say in the discussion. There isn't much you can purchase downtown anyway. Why would I need women's accessories, wigs, or beads? Of course anytime we are downtown we buy, but almost always consumables.

If I were a downtown business owner working on perception I'd be embarrassed by your comment.

Your response is probably why downtown seems alienating. There's sometimes the attitude that is polarizing. That's the image you just projected to me and does nothing for the image of Vertigo or any outfit making its digs in Downtown.

Edited by Rizzo

Best,

Jeez, who pissed in your cheerios?

Best,

Gee, let me run right down with the kids now. :rolleyes:

I think Herm has a valid point but probably needs a PR person. ;)

I think people here do support downtown retail. Now that doesn't mean I've been to your shop (I shopped at Vinyl Solution twice a week when I was younger, but I'm an internet guy now, sorry), but part of the problem is critical mass and getting all of the items I want in one trip. A diverse mix of retail, and more of it will help tremendously to keep me downtown.

Joe

Best,

Thanks to intovb and eridony for coming. I received a lot of response from people interested, but notice was a bit too short to get a good turnout (and our transit meeting beforehand went long). We'll schedule another kick-off meeting in the next few weeks.

Thanks to intovb and eridony for coming. I received a lot of response from people interested, but notice was a bit too short to get a good turnout (and our transit meeting beforehand went long). We'll schedule another kick-off meeting in the next few weeks.

i think the idea of this group of interested people coming together to flesh out ideas is great. i'm spent my 30 year career in retail in chicago/detroit and rizzo is correct. the public's perception becomes reality in relationship to parking. if the "front door" is within sight, it's not to far away. if the "front door" can't be seen, it's too far away. the folks from the suburbs just have different perceptions than those of us who live in urban areas. i haven't lived in GR in thirty years. my father's health has brought me here repeatly in the last three months. i'm currently spending two weeks - the longest period of time since my college days. i'm looking forward to rediscovering downtown. i would pass through the intersection of jefferson and fulton on my way to/from st. mary's and it looked interesting. haven't been on monroe yet.

judging from my discussions with family members, a lot of people are going downtown. but they go downtown for a specific event - a griffin's game, a hospital/doctor visit, a social occasion at a hotel, something at the devos center. the problem is they go downtown for that event and then leave afterwards without venturing far. some events happen at night. they sometimes go to a downtown restuarant before/after the event. shopping doesn't enter their mind. nor is the shopping located close to the events or they don't want to lug a shopping bag to the event or the retail businesses are closed when they are downtown. the days of downtowns being regional shopping centers are over. downtowns have to cater to the people who live or work there. increase the population and the retailing will follow.

the other alternative is to give the public what they can't get elsewhere. this takes a talented group of merchants who are great salesmen, not cashiers. i'm looking forward to seeing what going on downtown.

Time for new glasses, Jeff! (Next time I will wear something colorful.)

i think the idea of this group of interested people coming together to flesh out ideas is great. i'm spent my 30 year career in retail in chicago/detroit and rizzo is correct. the public's perception becomes reality in relationship to parking. if the "front door" is within sight, it's not to far away. if the "front door" can't be seen, it's too far away. the folks from the suburbs just have different perceptions than those of us who live in urban areas. i haven't lived in GR in thirty years. my father's health has brought me here repeatly in the last three months. i'm currently spending two weeks - the longest period of time since my college days. i'm looking forward to rediscovering downtown. i would pass through the intersection of jefferson and fulton on my way to/from st. mary's and it looked interesting. haven't been on monroe yet.

judging from my discussions with family members, a lot of people are going downtown. but they go downtown for a specific event - a griffin's game, a hospital/doctor visit, a social occasion at a hotel, something at the devos center. the problem is they go downtown for that event and then leave afterwards without venturing far. some events happen at night. they sometimes go to a downtown restuarant before/after the event. shopping doesn't enter their mind. nor is the shopping located close to the events or they don't want to lug a shopping bag to the event or the retail businesses are closed when they are downtown. the days of downtowns being regional shopping centers are over. downtowns have to cater to the people who live or work there. increase the population and the retailing will follow.

the other alternative is to give the public what they can't get elsewhere. this takes a talented group of merchants who are great salesmen, not cashiers. i'm looking forward to seeing what going on downtown.

You hit a lot of points made in the Market Analysis. A big complaint that the visitors to downtown had was the lack of things to do other than the event they were attending and dinner/drinks beforehand or afterward.

Another issue is, what if the biggest objection for people thinking of moving downtown is that there is not enough retail downtown?

Another issue is, what if the biggest objection for people thinking of moving downtown is that there is not enough retail downtown?

Then you get in the car and drive to Alpine or 28th just like you would if you lived in the suburbs. I suppose it does sort of defeat one of the reasons to move downtown, but it's not a reason not to move downtown.

That is a very good point i know friends who would like to move downtown but they all say the same thing, there is no where to shop downtown thus meaning you would have to drive anyways defeating the purpose of living down there. Downtown should at least have a pharmacy. Being so close to the biggest hospital in town shouldn't downtown atleast have a major pharmacy people leaving the hospital need perscriptions filled and it would be convienent if there was one not far from the hospital. :dontknow:

Then you get in the car and drive to Alpine or 28th just like you would if you lived in the suburbs. I suppose it does sort of defeat one of the reasons to move downtown, but it's not a reason not to move downtown.

That is a very good point i know friends who would like to move downtown but they all say the same thing, there is no where to shop downtown thus meaning you would have to drive anyways defeating the purpose of living down there. Downtown should at least have a pharmacy. Being so close to the biggest hospital in town shouldn't downtown atleast have a major pharmacy people leaving the hospital need perscriptions filled and it would be convienent if there was one not far from the hospital. :dontknow:

There a Rite Aid "next" to the hospital. Came in handy when "someone" forgot to bring a blank videotape for our ultrasound...I was thankful I could walk a block to the store.

Although there should be something right in the CBD, close to hotels and businesses. I can't tell you how many times while staying in Chicago I run into the Walgreens for a something I need.

Edited by mgreven

Rite Aid at Prospect and Michigan...not exactly downtown, but well within walking distance of Spectrum's hospital (not sure which you were talking about).

There's also a Diplomat Pharmacy on Fulton between Finding Nemo Chinese Food and Lafayette (south side of Fulton).

Here's the inventory according to KIAS. I pasted the retailers' names in most of the headings.

* Art Galleries & Framing

Calvin College Center Art Gallery

Chic's Frame and Poster

De Graaf Fine Art

Eyecons

Gallery Ogi

Gifts at GRAM

Kendall Gallery

Paul Collins Fine Art

Perception

Ron Neihoff Fine Art Photography Gallery

Sanctuary Folk Art

Studio71South

The Grand Gallery

The Photography Room

* Bookstores & News

Brian's Books

Christian Science Reading Room

Elliot's News and Tobacco

Grand Rapids Public Library

Plaza Essentials

* Clothing & Shoes

All City Kicks

An'ginas Boutique

Boutique Emmanuel Pourelle

Emmanuel, Too

F. David Barney Clothiers

Goodwill Industries Retail Stores

Kicks Dance and Activewear

L.J. Bullian Clothiers

Little Bohemia

Plaza Men's Shop

Premier

Reynolds and Sons

Scavenger Hunt Vintage Clothing

The Shoe Boutique @ Little Bohemia

The Zone

Van Hoecks Shoes

* Dentists & Optical

* Florists

Eastern Floral & Gifts

Modern Day Floral & Gift Boutique

* Furniture & Home

EQ3

* Gifts & Cards

Brian's Books

Eastern Floral & Gifts

Flute Boutique

Grand Central Market and Deli

Groskopfs

Imagination Creations

Little Bohemia

Plaza Essentials

Preusser Jeweler's

Thingamajigs

* Grocery & Specialty Foods

Morton Party Store

* Hair Salons & Spas

* Health & Fitness

* Jewelry

An'ginas Boutique

Herkner Jewelers Inc.

Little Bohemia

Preusser Jeweler's

Studio71South

Superior Watch Repair

* Music

Dodd Record Shop

Vertigo Music

* Office Supplies

Brian's Books

Fedex Kinko's Copy Center

Groskopfs

Pallets Business Supplies

Typewriter Sales and Services

* Pharmacies

Diplomat Specialty Pharmacy

* Specialty Shops

An'ginas Boutique

Bartrand's Shaver and Pen Center

Bookery Stamps & Coins

Elegance Wigs

Flute Boutique

Gerald R. Ford Museum

Gifts at GRAM

Groskopfs

Jade Rare Coin

Premier Skateboarding

Public Museum, Van Andel Museum Center

The Zone

Thingamajigs

* Sporting Goods

Reynolds and Sons

The Zone

* Tailoring Alterations & Shoe Repair

Edited by Veloise

I did not know alot of these places were downtown where is eastern floral btw? Nice to know retail downtown exist oh and anyone else think the lets keep it a secret motto should be changed. I was thinking something like "come see what downtown has to offer you"

Calvin College Center Art Gallery

Chic's Frame and Poster

De Graaf Fine Art

Eyecons

Gallery Ogi

Gifts at GRAM

Kendall Gallery

Paul Collins Fine Art

Perception

Ron Neihoff Fine Art Photography Gallery

Sanctuary Folk Art

Studio71South

The Grand Gallery

The Photography Room

* Bookstores & News

Brian's Books

Elliot's News and Tobacco

Grand Rapids Public Library

Plaza Essentials

* Clothing & Shoes

All City Kicks

An'ginas Boutique

Boutique Emmanuel Pourelle

Emmanuel, Too

F. David Barney Clothiers

Kicks Dance and Activewear

L.J. Bullian Clothiers

Little Bohemia

Plaza Men's Shop

Premier

Reynolds and Sons

Scavenger Hunt Vintage Clothing

The Shoe Boutique @ Little Bohemia

The Zone

Van Hoecks Shoes

* Dentists & Optical

* Florists

Eastern Floral & Gifts

* Furniture & Home

EQ3

* Gifts & Cards

Brian's Books

Eastern Floral & Gifts

Flute Boutique

Groskopfs

Imagination Creations

Little Bohemia

Plaza Essentials

Preusser Jeweler's

Thingamajigs

Morton Party Store

* Hair Salons & Spas

* Health & Fitness

* Jewelry

An'ginas Boutique

Herkner Jewelers Inc.

Little Bohemia

Preusser Jeweler's

Studio71South

Superior Watch Repair

* Music

Dodd Record Shop

Vertigo Music

* Office Supplies

Brian's Books

Fedex Kinko's Copy Center

Groskopfs

Pallets Business Supplies

Typewriter Sales and Services

* Pharmacies

Diplomat Specialty Pharmacy

* Specialty Shops

An'ginas Boutique

Bartrand's Shaver and Pen Center

Bookery Stamps & Coins

Elegance Wigs

Flute Boutique

Gerald R. Ford Museum

Gifts at GRAM

Groskopfs

Jade Rare Coin

Premier Skateboarding

Public Museum, Van Andel Museum Center

The Zone

Thingamajigs

* Sporting Goods

Reynolds and Sons

The Zone

I did not know alot of these places were downtown where is eastern floral btw? Nice to know retail downtown exist oh and anyone else think the lets keep it a secret motto should be changed. I was thinking something like "come see what downtown has to offer you"

The KIAS website (from which I copied and pasted all that) has an interactive map. Mouse over the business name and it shows you the location. I think Eastern Floral is in the AGP (came across is at least twice, but I was multi-tasking x 3).

Oh, and KIAS only shows retailers within the central business district. The Rite Aid on Michigan hill is out of bounds.

Not to be the devil's advocate or anything, but let's say you're a suburbanite or you don't live downtown and head downtown to shop. You head for and park near Monroe Center assuming that's where all the shopping is. Good luck finding 3/4 of these places. And NO ONE from GR is going to walk around holding a map like a lost tourist.

Calvin College Center Art Gallery - where?

Chic's Frame and Poster - where?

De Graaf Fine Art - Not a bad spot

Eyecons - East Fulton, quite a ways from Monroe Center for those unfamiliar with downtown

Gallery Ogi - South Division, very few are going to venture down S. Division yet

Gifts at GRAM - People are not going to go into an art gallery to go shopping

Kendall Gallery - Does not appear to be open to the public

Paul Collins Fine Art - where?

Perception - Not a bad spot on Ionia if there are other retailers in that area

Ron Neihoff Fine Art Photography Gallery - Monroe Center

Sanctuary Folk Art - S. Division

Studio71South - where?

The Grand Gallery - Are people going to go into the AGP to go shopping?

The Photography Room - Same as Perceptions

* Bookstores & News

Brian's Books - East Fulton, but just a tad outside Monroe Center

Christian Science Reading Room - I have no idea what Christian Science is

Elliot's News and Tobacco - where? (I know some people know, but how many have passes by it and not known it's there)

Grand Rapids Public Library - Huh?

Plaza Essentials - No idea

* Clothing & Shoes

All City Kicks - S. Division

An'ginas Boutique - Monroe Center

Boutique Emmanuel Pourelle - where?

Emmanuel, Too - where?

F. David Barney Clothiers - Not a bad location on Ottawa, $150 earmuffs

Goodwill Industries Retail Stores - S. Division

Kicks Dance and Activewear - Too far off of Monroe Center for what they are selling

L.J. Bullian Clothiers - where?

Little Bohemia - Good spot and good store

Plaza Men's Shop - where?

Premier - where?

Reynolds and Sons - Not exactly inviting next to that boarded up Azzar eyesore

Scavenger Hunt Vintage Clothing - S. Division

The Shoe Boutique @ Little Bohemia - Good

The Zone - where?

Van Hoecks Shoes - Good spot, would be fine mixed with a vibrant Monroe Center

* Dentists & Optical

* Florists

Eastern Floral & Gifts - where is this?

Modern Day Floral & Gift Boutique - OK spot

* Furniture & Home

EQ3 - Great store, way too far away from the other retail

* Gifts & Cards

Brian's Books

Eastern Floral & Gifts

Flute Boutique - Not a bad spot

Grand Central Market and Deli - Good spot

Groskopfs - Don't need luggage

Imagination Creations - where?

Little Bohemia

Plaza Essentials

Preusser Jeweler's - Jewelry is fine, but even jewelry stores in Rivertown can't seem to stay open long

Thingamajigs - where?

Morton Party Store - Ha! yeah right!

* Hair Salons & Spas

* Health & Fitness

* Jewelry

An'ginas Boutique

Herkner Jewelers Inc.

Little Bohemia

Preusser Jeweler's

Studio71South

Superior Watch Repair - I can't remember the last time I needed a watch repaired, I just bought a new one

* Music

Dodd Record Shop - Are they serious? Is this that burned out building on S. Division?

Vertigo Music -

* Office Supplies

Brian's Books

Fedex Kinko's Copy Center - Good store, out of the way though

Groskopfs

Pallets Business Supplies - Good store, same deal as Kinko's

Typewriter Sales and Services - Huh? Typewriters, what are those?

* Pharmacies

Diplomat Specialty Pharmacy - Again, kudos but not a "real" pharmacy in most people's minds

* Specialty Shops

An'ginas Boutique

Bartrand's Shaver and Pen Center - Huh? Where?

Bookery Stamps & Coins - For all those stamp and coin collectors

Elegance Wigs - Can't they do this mail-order?

Flute Boutique

Gerald R. Ford Museum - Honey, let's go shopping at the Gerald Ford Musuem

Gifts at GRAM

Groskopfs

Jade Rare Coin - where?

Premier Skateboarding - where?

Public Museum, Van Andel Museum Center - They need to drop all these museums off this list. They're obviously padding the list to make it look more impressive.

The Zone - the who?

Thingamajigs

* Sporting Goods

Reynolds and Sons

The Zone

Not to be the devil's advocate or anything, but let's say you're a suburbanite or you don't live downtown and head downtown to shop. You head for and park near Monroe Center assuming that's where all the shopping is. Good luck finding 3/4 of these places. And NO ONE from GR is going to walk around holding a map like a lost tourist.

Wonder why that list doesn't list the healthclubs or haircut/salon places DT...

The Zone is the fan based store inside the arena. They sell Griffins, Rampage, and other related items.

The Zone is the fan based store inside the arena. They sell Griffins, Rampage, and other related items.

Ah thanks GRFuture. I wonder how many people shop there that aren't at a sporting event? Same with Thingamajigs, which I found is the gift store inside the Children's Museum. These to me are not "real" retailers creating a "retail environment", if they don't draw anyone other than patrons already at the museums/arena.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to disparage any of the retailers that are downtown, but as a whole and how they are not concentrated together en masse is not helping an already challenging situation of getting people downtown to shop.