The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

I'm in, just not next week. I think it would be interesting to map out Monroe Center, Vacancies and what is there. What holes need to be filled? What businesses cluster well together in a close proximity? What do we have and what would we want to see?

I'd also like to get some good ideas on what would be good destination sites. I think a good mix of necessities for the workers and unique stores for the workers / shoppers is the key. Now what that mix is, I'm not quite sure.

Joe

We'll definitely wait until you get back Joe, some time the week of the 20th. :thumbsup:

I am curious about the storefront on Monroe Center & Division that is between the Nail Salon and Reynolds Sports. If I remember correctly, the buillding is red with boarded-up windows that is painted black. Is there any talk of rehabbing this storefront?

Also, how serious are the efforts to secure a few anchor stores on Monroe Center? If even a Borders or Barnes & Noble moved into the old RiverBank location, that would be fantastic.

I am curious about the storefront on Monroe Center & Division that is between the Nail Salon and Reynolds Sports. If I remember correctly, the buillding is red with boarded-up windows that is painted black. Is there any talk of rehabbing this storefront?

Locked up by a gentleman by the name of Azzar (sp?) who is mentioned elsewhere on this thread.

Also, how serious are the efforts to secure a few anchor stores on Monroe Center? If even a Borders or Barnes & Noble moved into the old RiverBank location, that would be fantastic.

RB is still a turn-key operation. The merch is in place, furniture, fixtures. Might need dusting. (December's holiday greenery was recently removed from the outdoor window boxes. I keep thinking I should plant some low-maintenance annual seeds for them.)

The Kendall Building is what you're thinking. Do a search here you'll find more info then you care to know about that building buried in various posts here.

GRDad your concept for the Ellis lot is amazing. The uniqueness of it would create a huge draw. I personally don't like the openess of the ice rink when I'm eating or looking for a place to read. I'll find a place near the trees.

I think the depth and character of your idea is perfect.

Nice find twoshort. That's cool!

Thanks eagle! I wondered if anyone liked it as much as I did. ^_^ I'm sure some people are thinking that adding a fake building is like decorating vacant buildings along the People Mover in Detroit, but I see it more as a plaza with a sculpture in it. A work of art (just one that looks like a building facade and fills in the gap). It would have to be done just right though. It couldn't look like a "lifestyle center" new urbanism design.

It's those sort of quirky things that create a "boutique city" in visitors' minds, IMESHO. Things you won't ever find in the suburban retail areas.

I was in Rockford today and worked on Chapter II of my "Downtown Retail Photo Roadshow". I'll post some of the over 200 photos I took as soon as I get a chance. :camera: Rockford is doing a lot of things right.

Remembered a couple more things:

At my off-shore discussion last week, I mentioned the "psycho olive" KIAS logo. Was informed that this is supposed to represent the RPC concentric circles. Who knew??!

And at our discussion a couple weeks back, I brought up souvenirs and postcards. Not available DT (unless a gift shoppe at AGP has some). Closest available retail venue: Fred on Alpine.

And you can't buy a T-shirt with a GRAND RAPIDS logo anywhere in the city. Several Detroit shoppes offer "Made in Detroit" apparel and other items (belts and bags made from seatbelt webbing, guess what they use for a buckle). AFAIK the infamous "I'm so bad, I vacation in Detroit" is not part of the product line.

With the distribution power of Meijers you'd think more downtown paraphernalia would be in the suburbs? People don't want to buy downtown stuff? Think of Meijers selling 'impulse buy' gift cards that people can use at downtown retailers. Or, even parking debit cards that can be used with any downtown ramp or lot with a swipe feature.

It seems to me that downtown doesn't have image or it's not in the face of the people that might buy into it. Downtown still, to me, is booze it up hockey fights, etc. its a start.

A generation or two has passed that isn't familiar with downtown which might be a positive. I think it's time, not for a reintroduction, but a whole introduction period.

Edited by Rizzo

...And at our discussion a couple weeks back, I brought up souvenirs and postcards. Not available DT (unless a gift shoppe at AGP has some). Closest available retail venue: Fred on Alpine.

And you can't buy a T-shirt with a GRAND RAPIDS logo anywhere in the city. ...

Postcard and souvenir vendor (this is the supplier to Fred and just about every gift shop in the upper midwest):

http://www.penrodhiawatha.com/ (Wholesale only)

They often run help wanted ads in the Press seeking a graphic artist who can design "resort wear" (such as the embroidered Location Name sweatshirts you can buy at upscale places).

When I was in the gift biz, I had a postcard/greeting card rack with 120 faces. Sometimes it turned a show from break-even to profitability; other times it drew a huge crowd and represented most of my sales.

I wrote:

"... souvenirs and postcards. Not available DT (unless a gift shoppe at AGP has some). Closest available retail venue: Fred on Alpine. "

Whoops, there's a Penrod postcard rack in the Walgreen's on Michigan Ave. Probably two miles from the structures pictured on the cards.

I wrote:

"... souvenirs and postcards. Not available DT (unless a gift shoppe at AGP has some). Closest available retail venue: Fred on Alpine. "

Whoops, there's a Penrod postcard rack in the Walgreen's on Michigan Ave. Probably two miles from the structures pictured on the cards.

Cards are available in the gift shop at the Grand Plaza. Beaners also has a cool selection of cards. Not aware of GR postcards though.

Cards are available in the gift shop at the Grand Plaza. Beaners also has a cool selection of cards. Not aware of GR postcards though.

Does the Diplomat Pharmacy on Fulton have anything like that? I've never needed to go in, but you find that sort of thing in pharmacies all the time.

Don't the museums/library carry GR postcards and other GR-oriented items in their gift shops?

I've never even noticed a gift shop in the library (downtown at least) but I'm usually on a mission, so maybe I walked right past it.

I have to think the Art Museum will have a nice gift shop when it's done.

The shops in the Amway Grand should have that stuff for sure...they have nice shops in there.

You're probably right about the other museums too.

I've never even noticed a gift shop in the library (downtown at least) but I'm usually on a mission, so maybe I walked right past it.

I have to think the Art Museum will have a nice gift shop when it's done.

The shops in the Amway Grand should have that stuff for sure...they have nice shops in there.

You're probably right about the other museums too.

The main city library in my community has a gift shop with really cool reading glasses for sale, something a baby boomer appreciates! And I know the GRAM gift shop, in its current location, has had unique and interesting items, too, when I've visited - out of the ordinary chain store stuff. So don't overlook those gift shops.