The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

If *bucs moved into the Two Copper space, I wonder if they'd be open on Sunday? I can't recall ever seeing one that wasn't open on Sunday.

There's one in the G Plaza now. My initial thought was, "there's no way they'd set up another location a block away..." but then realized who we're talking about! They're sort of known for locating within close proximity of themselves.

There's one in the G Plaza now. My initial thought was, "there's no way they'd set up another location a block away..." but then realized who we're talking about! They're sort of known for locating within close proximity of themselves.

I would think that they (sbux) would want a higher profile space than where two chops was at. On Monroe Center, the shoe-store space was be a great corner, especially if they could open up to the second floor for additional seating. I would think it would be a hit with downtown students...

And yes, more than once in a big city have I been able to stand in the doorway of one SBUX and easily spot another one a block down the street (Toronto and NYC especially).

They did a study in NYC a few years back, and found that most patrons would NOT walk more than two blocks from their office building to get a cup o' joe; therefore, a coffee shop on every block is an absolute must!

They did a study in NYC a few years back, and found that most patrons would NOT walk more than two blocks from their office building to get a cup o' joe; therefore, a coffee shop on every block is an absolute must!

When I worked in NYC - nobody drank the coffee in the office. EVER. Everyone sent out for coffee from the place downstairs in our building or would run out for a cig and pick up their own. There were definitley coffee shops on every corner/block. The density was there to support all of them.

Edited by starrfish

I would think that they (sbux) would want a higher profile space than where two chops was at. On Monroe Center, the shoe-store space was be a great corner, especially if they could open up to the second floor for additional seating. I would think it would be a hit with downtown students...

And yes, more than once in a big city have I been able to stand in the doorway of one SBUX and easily spot another one a block down the street (Toronto and NYC especially).

From the Waterfall Plaza **$$$ one can easily see Tarzhay, and the trail of littered cups leading to the door, beyond which is another **$$$. And vice versa.

I think those two are about 1/8 mile apart.

Two Choppers and Van Hoeks are on the same corner. And its a pretty high profile corner IMHO.

The second floor above the shoe store would not be an option though, Amway's Artistry Beauty Institite takes the entire floor. Now if someone wanted to buy me a cup of joe, I may let them look over Monroe Center out of my 3rd floor window...... :D:yahoo:

Real numbers from Four Friends (guess where I am!)...

There are seven Friends. Most are paid about $7. (One of the staff provided these numbers. I told her we were trying to figure out if they could open Sundays and make it; she was very forthright.) I don't think I'm revealing anything not previously disclosed on someone's tax return by typing this (and I am tweaking it so as to not be too helpful to the competition...not gonna post the daily total).

To be open for, say, four hours on a Sunday (with 30 minutes on each end to open and close) would be about $35 in salary. (Nevermind that I'm sometimes the last one here at 10 pm and the place is locked and dark by 10:01.)

Average sale (today) was about $4. So they'd have to have about 9 customers to break even for that time frame.

The other factor is, yes, the Wealthy Street treats. I said gosh you couldn't just switch to Entemans one day a week. She said the stuff would get stale Saturday night. (Many's the time a 9:30 customer has been offered a leftover because they'll just throw it out otherwise.)

I said what about when the ice rink opens. She said that seems like they could try it. She said that most of the Friends are students and scheduling is tricky.

Maybe they need a Sunday Friend who can pick up some decent bakery, run the show on First Day.

Many's the time a 9:30 customer has been offered a leftover because they'll just throw it out otherwise.

This happened to us about a week ago :yahoo: very excited to have a free scone!!

(Veloise, I almost asked a lady in there if she was a UPer. Middle aged. Brought a laptop in and sat over by the wall across from the stage. My wife and I were sitting on the stage. Could that have been you? :ph34r: )

This happened to us about a week ago :yahoo: very excited to have a free scone!!

(Veloise, I almost asked a lady in there if she was a UPer. Middle aged. Brought a laptop in and sat over by the wall across from the stage. My wife and I were sitting on the stage. Could that have been you? :ph34r: )

MIDDLE-AGED????? I turn 50 in less than 2 months. (Party in DT Lansing...)

I have a pink laptop case and I almost always bring my bike inside, leave it up front.

::dulce de leche gelato::

If it was you, 50 looks good on you. :shades:

Give me two months! Actually, 56 days.

Thanks. Yesterday I was at a Good Will in Holland, and the clerk had **never heard of the Red Hat Society.** Didn't know they trained their help on Mars. She guessed 40.

The real question is: how do you know when you're middle-aged? Shouldn;t that be a, um, "final answer?"

"Have you lived in Michigan all your life?"

"Not yet."

Do say hi next time!

• 1 month later...

OK, this Original Topic got pretty :offtopic: lets see if we can pull it back.

I see that the old Two Choppers space has been completely gutted. I mean down to the framing. The bathroom in the center completely gone. Doesn't really seem like something someone would do if there wasn't a tenant lined up or in mind, does it? Is there something happening here, or would this just be work to make the space more desirable to a potential tenant.

On another note, I see that DeVries put a new access door from the empty former VanHoeks space into the 1st floor elevator lobby in that building. I suspect this might be just getting the space ready to show (access to restrooms, etc. would need this door) It did look like I saw Ed showing the space though the other day, so perhaps promising! Anyone know anything futher.

This is a great corner of downtown, sure would hate to see these two major spaces empty for too long.

• 1 month later...

I saw today there's a wooden barrier around the former two choppers. I wonder what's going on? (haven't checked Knape yet.. i usually check that after UP. Maybe I should switch the two in my list =p)

The wood wall is decorated with small placards reading Gerald "our" Ford. Maybe someone is borrowing my souvenir stand idea!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this Original Topic got pretty :offtopic: lets see if we can pull it back.

I see that the old Two Choppers space has been completely gutted. I mean down to the framing. The bathroom in the center completely gone. Doesn't really seem like something someone would do if there wasn't a tenant lined up or in mind, does it? Is there something happening here, or would this just be work to make the space more desirable to a potential tenant.

On another note, I see that DeVries put a new access door from the empty former VanHoeks space into the 1st floor elevator lobby in that building. I suspect this might be just getting the space ready to show (access to restrooms, etc. would need this door) It did look like I saw Ed showing the space though the other day, so perhaps promising! Anyone know anything futher.

This is a great corner of downtown, sure would hate to see these two major spaces empty for too long.

I know that the facade is being restored to a more historical look.