The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

I just heard that Discussions Coffee has officially closed.

After Four Friends, it looks like there may be a bit of a coffee house collapse going on?

Who's next?

I just had coffee and a sandwich at Discussions 3 hours ago! The owner and I talked alot but he never mentioned it or let on about it. Hmmm.

looks to me like a scooter

Hey, you're right.

So the subliminal message is either "if you ride a scooter, free parking here" or "you should ride a scooter so you don't need to be directed to free parking" or "keep it a scooter."

Guessing that the design will decide to go spend more time with its family this week, and a new & improved layout will appear soon.

Hey, you're right.

So the subliminal message is either "if you ride a scooter, free parking here" or "you should ride a scooter so you don't need to be directed to free parking" or "keep it a scooter."

Guessing that the design will decide to go spend more time with its family this week, and a new & improved layout will appear soon.

That signage has been around all summer. I mentioned it in another thread that while i realize they're trying to be all trendy by using a scooter, it's false marketing since you can't actually park a scooter in the parking garage.

The scooter image is part of a brochure that was being used to promote downtown, you can find the brochure in many of the downtown shops.

The new scooter parking is a new initiative created by one of the parking heads. She contacted the scooter group intown and is working to create 3 "Scooter" parking spaces in the city lots downtown. She is trying to use space that is not available for cars to use in these areas. She is having metal loops installed into the ground or parking blocks to allow "scooters and mopeds" to use these spaces for free. Motorcycles are not allowed. They dont want scooter and mopeds parking on the sidewalks and are going to try and provide options for the smaller engined bikes.

They dont want scooter and mopeds parking on the sidewalks and are going to try and provide options for the smaller engined bikes.

I understand that it is actually illegal for any motor vehicle, including scooters and mopeds, to park on a sidewalk. Providing free parking alt locations is a very progressive thing for the parking head to do!

• 3 weeks later...

DTA's new grant program supports DT events

http://www.downtowngr.org/news_item_files/...rogram_8_08.pdf

"The Downtown Alliance and DDA want to showcase the vibrancy and variety of experiences a visitor can have in downtown Grand Rapids and develop new events and promotions that will benefit downtown establishments. ...The Downtown Alliance, with support from the DDA, has developed this program to offer financial and promotional support to new and emerging events and promotions.

The Downtown Alliance and DDA believe the expansion of event programming takes resources of organization, time and money. While the larger, legacy events that are established as part of the downtown calendar have these resources already in place, the development of new events specifically designed to benefit downtown establishments may need assistance.

The DDA/Downtown Alliance will provide:

1. Funds ranging from $100-1000 per request and will be limited to reimbursement for actual expenses.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we're shooting for end of November and you'll start seeing a lot of work on the inside next week. In the meantime, if you are jonesin for some coffee we have a spro machine hooked up and would love to talk and pour some latte art for ya'll. We're there during the day most days and will probably be out on the sidewalk given out coffee. Come say hi.

~Trevor

P.S. For regular updates you can check out www.madcapblog.com

Activity seen inside MadCap (the former Two Choppers) the other night. Equipment and people.

When's the big day?

Did we not have a good idea a couple years ago -- decorate vacant shop windows to make them look more presentable and inviting?

Didn't Barack say "if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig?" and I think Detroit did this for Superbowl XL? Then again, they did have the Hip Hop Major.

Actually, we should be thankful that we don't get what you see in every vacant building in the burbs this time year. A Halloween store. That actually may not be a bad idea to throw one of these temperary stores in some of the downtown spots.

Edited by plee30

Not sure what making a vacant retail space look presentable has to do with Detroit. The home staging industry does something very similar. Curb appeal.

I agree with curb appeal, much like the Broken Window Theory. I was just saying Detroit did a similar thing and spent oodles of money to turn vacant ground floors into bars and clubs during the Superbowl, yet it hasn't brought too much development.

• 2 weeks later...