The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

I merged a couple of similar topics together (retail discussion with Mad Cap, etc.).

According to the Press today, there's a new 3000 sf Cafe Kabob coming to 80 Ottawa (Aldrich Building/Van Hoeks).

I also noticed while ice-skating yesterday that there is a new fitness center in the space next to Subway in the Founders building.

Refresh my memory. Where is the Founders Building and is it a new gym? I'd like a new gym DT. Is it the Curves (or similar thing) I saw? Thanks.

Refresh my memory. Where is the Founders Building and is it a new gym? I'd like a new gym DT. Is it the Curves (or similar thing) I saw? Thanks.

From the signage, I got the impresion that it's similar to a Curves (which is further up Monroe Center, next to Local Mocha). The Subway has a big huge sign, if that helps. On Monroe between Pearl and Fulton. If you're at RPC standing on the grassy knoll near the steam feature, look west.

Oh heck, here you go:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

Taken during its facade-ectomy a few years back.

Edited by Veloise

This is definately going on the first floor corner in the space VanHoeks moved out of. I think Bernie is quite happy with his location and afaik is not going anywhere. Which is good because I love Big O's too!

Adding another restaurant to an established corner is a good thing, kindof like the Chipotle/Quodoba scenario. You can't be a food court by yourself.

This is definately going on the first floor corner in the space VanHoeks moved out of. I think Bernie is quite happy with his location and afaik is not going anywhere. Which is good because I love Big O's too!

Great news! Having those two corners occupied again is key to Monroe Center's vitality, IMO. And if someone moves into Herkner's as mentioned by Locus, and if someone goes into the City Market space as alluded by someone in another thread(?), the place is filling up again.

It's weird, but I don't see the old Van Hoek's space on the corner being 3000 sf. Maybe it goes back into storage space or something, that Kabob's plans to use (?)

Great news! Having those two corners occupied again is key to Monroe Center's vitality, IMO. And if someone moves into Herkner's as mentioned by Locus, and if someone goes into the City Market space as alluded by someone in another thread(?), the place is filling up again.

It's weird, but I don't see the old Van Hoek's space on the corner being 3000 sf. Maybe it goes back into storage space or something, that Kabob's plans to use (?)

Amy and I were walking home from Soup's on For All last night (GREAT event, btw) and we were looking at the two spaces and after contemplating, decided that the Van Hoek's space was much larger and there was no way that the Big O's space was 3000 sq. ft. I'm also happy to see these places fill up and that there will be a place to get hummous downtown again. Hopefully they will be open for dinner.

Hopefully they will be business that completes the food court, aka Monroe Center.

I merged a couple of similar topics together (retail discussion with Mad Cap, etc.).

According to the Press today, there's a new 3000 sf Cafe Kabob coming to 80 Ottawa (Aldrich Building/Van Hoeks).

I also noticed while ice-skating yesterday that there is a new fitness center in the space next to Subway in the Founders building.

That link to Cafe Kabob points to a single-location restaurant in Detroit.

Any idea if it's the same owner?

I'd love to see some more of the family-owned Detroit standbys show up on our side of the state.

I grew up over there and miss Kerby's Koney, La Fendi and a few other Detroit originals.

I'd love to see some more of the family-owned Detroit standbys show up on our side of the state.

I grew up over there and miss Kerby's Koney, La Fendi and a few other Detroit originals.

While I guess it's possible it's a franchise, I would be much more inclined to think it's the same owner.

The article Veloise posted says they are out of Southfield, and it has the same link I posted. The whole article is about the Aldrich Building being sold to a group of investors, one being First Companies locally and the others being a couple of guys from Lansing. I wondered when First Companies was going to enter the downtown market.

MadCap Coffee is now offering bicycle delivery of coffee ordered through their website. It's advertised as anywhere within the City of Grand Rapids proper, and you'll pay a $2 delivery charge for the service.

You can find more information here: http://www.pedalgr.com/2009/01/31/madcap-coffee-by-velo/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...