The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

Whassup here?? Never seen lights on in the City Market space before.

ctymark2.jpg

I was walking on Monroe Center early in the morning on the 17th, and was blown away by the amount of space in that building! I really hope that and the former Little Bohemia space get some high-profile retail to accompany the new Mexican restaurant (in former Herkner's) and Mediterranean restaurant going in at Monroe Center and Ottawa.

BTW, was anyone downtown last night for ACTIVESITE? It was an amazing turnout, every bar and restaurant were full, and there were hundreds of people milling around downtown, it was so exciting! I wish the City had a similar event that could draw retail customers.

I was walking on Monroe Center early in the morning on the 17th, and was blown away by the amount of space in that building! I really hope that and the former Little Bohemia space get some high-profile retail to accompany the new Mexican restaurant (in former Herkner's) and Mediterranean restaurant going in at Monroe Center and Ottawa.

BTW, was anyone downtown last night for ACTIVESITE? It was an amazing turnout, every bar and restaurant were full, and there were hundreds of people milling around downtown, it was so exciting! I wish the City had a similar event that could draw retail customers.

I was. It was awesome. It actually felt like GR was a big city last night. On Monroe Center and S. Division there were so many people walking around and having a good time. It was really great.

Now I'm off to draw with some chalk.

• 2 weeks later...

^bump

:drools on keyboard:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michiga...estment_gr.html

3000 SF would be the vacated half of the shoe store, no?

Amazing Coincidence. On Thursdays I work (hah) in Southfield. Had one of my vendors take me out for Mediterranean. He and I were standing at the pick-up area discussing GR.

Cashier: you're from Grand Rapids? The men at the corner table are opening a restaurant there.

He then introduced me to his uncle, who was helping clear tables for the noon rush. This fellow mentioned the MC & Ottawa corner, raved over how nice a town we have, said he'll be there (um, here?) in a couple weeks to help get the place opened.

I mentioned that there might be one or two customers nearby on Weds evenings in the summer. Told him about Pita House.

Meanwhile, the cashier said that they (the restaurant we were in) were wanting to open another place in GR. 28th Street. I said no, find a place DT.

(Don't ask me the name of the restaurant. It's on Evergreen just north of Ten Mile, has Mediterranean in the title. If I spend brain cells on that, I'll fall asleep on the drive home.)

p.s. I am not moving back to Detroit

ETA: four-wheeled past on my way back to the 696 Motor Speedway. It's Cafe Kabob.

Edited by Veloise

In the Business Journal today, it mentions that Locus Development purchased the peacock building a year ago (Jefferson & Fulton), and has signed a coney dog place to go in there.

Choice of vacant storefronts. Typewriter place, the social service agency, and the former dance studio.

Replacing the cell phone store is...a different cell phone store!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone read on Chris's blog that River City Slims is closed? Thats a big blow to that area I visited once and was very impressed so this is suprising.

From GRNow.com's Facebook page:

"River City Slims is reopening this Friday and Saturday night at 7 p.m. with a limited menu"

Any word on if/how the DDA could provide incentives to downtown retail? Perhaps a special tax break or something. . . we need more stores downtown! :) If anyone knows who I can contact to volunteer to work on this, please PM me. I called the DDA before, and never received a call back.

Any word on if/how the DDA could provide incentives to downtown retail? Perhaps a special tax break or something. . . we need more stores downtown! :) If anyone knows who I can contact to volunteer to work on this, please PM me. I called the DDA before, and never received a call back.

Actually, they just did an update on their Retail Strategy yesterday:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_...a4fc1dce8cc.pdf

(page 40)

You might try Ann Marie Bessette, the person heading it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Parsley's to open Monday 6/15

Just Monday I'd noticed their sign (up, faces Pita House) and patio furniture (tasteful black iron).

In a previous post, I mentioned stumbling across the Cafe Kabab folks while in Southfield. One of them just rang me up to invite me to their opening at 11 am. Monroe Center on the corner that is not GRAM, Blake's, or Madcap.

"Bring your friends," he said.

Mayoral ribbon-cutting, the whole nine yards. Heck, maybe I'll bring the heavy metal.

Edited by Veloise

Look what I found tonight.

lg-dt-1.jpg

These weren't here for Festival!

lg-eat1.jpg

Spent a few electrons and shot each one.

lg-shop1.jpg

A bit closer:

lg-shop2.jpg

The creases towards the bottoms are likely due to whatever surrounds the pole being too snug. Needs some ease; one of those caribiner clip things ought to do the trick.

lg-meet1.jpg

lg-cele1.jpg

Last one:

lg-shop3.jpg

Looks like Turner Construction is opening an office in Plaza Towers, where Pallets used to be. It probably makes more sense as office space than retail, as most retail that has tried that spot has not had much success (too off the beaten path I think).

• 1 month later...

Local Mocha has become my new Wi-fi provider (when I am not at the Hunting YMCA using their Y-Fi and yelling comments at the Tour).

They had these plastic Hudsonville signs in the (tinted) windows. I said put 'em outside, don't keep it a secret.

Thus:

1248393615.jpg

And I am told that the subject food item is flying out the door.

They had these plastic Hudsonville signs in the (tinted) windows. I said put 'em outside, don't keep it a secret.

Good work. Where they're located, they need to be throwing out the extra signage. I've been meaning to try Local Mocha, but I haven't because I never notice it until AFTER I've just walked out of either Madcap or Schuler's and am good for coffee.

I think moving down the street, like you mentioned as possible before, is a good idea, too.

Pita House has gone to Taco Bell hours on weekends. Last night the counter staff said that they will be open until 3 am on weekends. "This is our first night doing it, and no one knows about it yet."

Try this: two falafel balls with tahini, and a scoop of tabouli. Change back from your $2, and just right.

The realty firm handling 136 (Four Friends) says that they have a letter of intent for a new tenant. (Local Mocha will have to stay put.)

A Segway rental place opened up downtown:

A New Way to Tour Downtown Grand Rapids (WZZM)

When I lived in San Diego there was a Segway rental a block from my apartment, and I saw tourists zipping by wearing their little helmets all the time. Looked like fun...

Rates for Segway rental start at $50 for 30 minutes.
:sick: GOOD LORD! Clearly he's trying to soak out-of-towners and conventioneers (and I say more power to him :shades: ), because there's no way our local folk would be jumping on board with those prices.

A Segway rental place opened up downtown:

A New Way to Tour Downtown Grand Rapids (WZZM)

When I lived in San Diego there was a Segway rental a block from my apartment, and I saw tourists zipping by wearing their little helmets all the time. Looked like fun...

:sick: GOOD LORD! Clearly he's trying to soak out-of-towners and conventioneers (and I say more power to him :shades: ), because there's no way our local folk would be jumping on board with those prices.

It appears that there's a reason he's not running it out of the parking lot behind the Days Hotel/Holiday Inn (or whatever it is these days).

It looks like it would be fun to try, but not for that price. Maybe he'll have some coupons for locals? I'd might give it a try for $25, just as a novelty.