The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

Local Mocha is the only place that's consistently open where you can buy (delicious) ice cream. Fantastic.

It's pretty amusing to be sitting in what's supposed to be a coffee shop, and no one is buying coffee. Wonder if Hudsonville has a cone-shaped mascot suit? I'd wear it down to BotM and lead them back, like the Pied Piper.

1248397081.jpg

Edited by Veloise

The former Little Bohemia storefront: last night lights were on, several youngish men (golf shirts) were wandering inside.

(You read it here first.)

That will be the next space for ActiveSite, being held during ArtPrize. You didn't read that here first. :)

That will be the next space for ActiveSite, being held during ArtPrize. You didn't read that here first. :)

You beat me to it- yes were are holding the next ACTIVESITE event in that space. We were in there the other night taking down the LB stickers of the windows and doing a little cleaning up/space planning. More details will be coming about our plans for the space during ArtPrize, we were pretty excited to get that as our location.

You'll find the same foot traffic in pretty much any northern Michigan 'tourist' destination: Charlevoix, Petoskey, Boyne City, Harbor Springs, etc... Its a whole different world in the other 3 seasons.

I've been to TC in the off-season, and its downtown is still a lot busier than Grand Rapids. I saw a lot of people buying things too (including my wife!) :)

I've been to TC in the off-season, and its downtown is still a lot busier than Grand Rapids. I saw a lot of people buying things too (including my wife!) :)

I was just there this week for the first time in a long time. Have to say I was very jealous of the stores and of course, the tons of people... There were enough stores you could just walk and shop. (unlike DT which doesn't have enough) I wish there was a way to get enough stores in a row DT so you could just go downtown and "shop".

I was just there this week for the first time in a long time. Have to say I was very jealous of the stores and of course, the tons of people... There were enough stores you could just walk and shop. (unlike DT which doesn't have enough) I wish there was a way to get enough stores in a row DT so you could just go downtown and "shop".

I'd guess there's still a waiting list for retail spots, as the retail shops there spill off onto side streets and back alleys, and are packed into every nook and cranny. It's really awesome.

I'd guess there's still a waiting list for retail spots, as the retail shops there spill off onto side streets and back alleys, and are packed into every nook and cranny. It's really awesome.

I'm sure you just green screened all those people shots in a studio to fool us that there are bustling Michigan cities...just like the moon landing fakery...you don't fool me, GRDadof3!!

:shades:

I'm sure you just green screened all those people shots in a studio to fool us that there are bustling Michigan cities...just like the moon landing fakery...you don't fool me, GRDadof3!!

:shades:

Yes, CUE THE PEDESTRIANS, ACTION!! :shades:

*this video brought to you by Travel Michigan

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, TC and Petoskey especially seem to hold their traffic better than you'd expect.

I've gone to TC in November (not yet snowy, no longer fall, many hotels closed) and the downtown is still humming along just fine.

Chris Knape has an article on MLive about new plans for the Margarita Grill space:

Steve Brechting, owner of Hub's Inn at 1645 Leonard St. NW and Chef Brech Catering, has leased the former Margarita Grill, 25 Ottawa Ave. SW. He plans to transform it into 25 Kitchen & Bar.[bolds added]

"We're going for a concept that's different from anything else downtown," Brechting said.

Small plates, wood-fired pizzas, wrap sandwiches -- all with "a different twist" -- will be on the menu, he said.

An open kitchen will allow customers to interact with chefs -- Brechting will be the executive chef -- and see food being prepared.

Brechting said he plans to offer occasional live music but no dance floor.

The 16,000-square-foot space, which includes a basement that will serve as a room for banquets and private parties, is being completely gutted, he said.

Sticking with the numerical name, the menu will feature 25 international-themed pizzas, 25 draft beers and 25 specialty drinks.

The target demographic? Ages 25 and older.

"We're going for the 25 to 45 crowd," Brechting said. "Families will be welcome."

Definitely a different vision for that corner than what the Margarita Grill offered. I just wonder if it offers anything new to downtown compared to the BOB across the street, or the multitude of other dining spots.

Edited by RegalTDP

• 1 month later...

Does anyone remember when Pallets closed?

I finally needed to get some printer ink only to find the the store has become something completely different.

You can find their former display cases at Commute Bicycle Shop. They look great and Dan said he got a great deal. I was sad when I heard they closed.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff here in Chris' blog.

http://blog.mlive.com/knapescorner/2009/10...s_business.html

Vitamin D tanning salon. Huh.

Also, the Cinco de Mayo place is delayed due to "hang-ups with Michigan liquor control." Says that the Rockford place of the same name is related.

http://blog.mlive.com/knapescorner/2009/10...rant_in_do.html

It's great news, that downtown is still attracting new restaurants in this economy...

SO - That means downtown GR will have:

-A Georgio's for all the Spartan alumni.

-A Peppino's for all the Lakers.

Now we just need Bilbo's to open up a location downtown to satisfy all the Broncos.

Edited by RegalTDP

It's great news, that downtown is still attracting new restaurants in this economy...

SO - That means downtown GR will have:

-A Georgio's for all the Spartan alumni.

-A Peppino's for all the Lakers.

Now we just need Bilbo's to open up a location downtown to satisfy all the Broncos.

Yes! With a dungeon like they used to have at their old location on W. Michigan near campus. Loved that place.