The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

It's great news, that downtown is still attracting new restaurants in this economy...

SO - That means downtown GR will have:

-A Georgio's for all the Spartan alumni.

-A Peppino's for all the Lakers.

Now we just need Bilbo's to open up a location downtown to satisfy all the Broncos.

i would fly back from seoul if Bilbos opened up a pizza joint in GR I HEART THAT PLACE

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but a new Jimmy John's looks just about ready to open on Monroe in the Brassworks building (north side of the building - ground floor). Seems a bit close to the one on Monroe Center, but I suppose that there are a lot of people that will find that location more convenient than dealing with the downtown spot. I think it will be a nice addition to the North Monroe area for sure.

On a personal note, I look out my office window directly at the new site, and it just makes me constantly want a #5 with banana peppers.

• 3 weeks later...

Please help me figure out whether I'm going crazy! I remember reading either in the GR Press or the GRBJ (or somewhere else?) that the city was collecting and providing all these customer demographics for potential businesses to get them to open up shop. Please post a link if you read this, too, it's driving me crazy! Thanks in advance.

Please help me figure out whether I'm going crazy! I remember reading either in the GR Press or the GRBJ (or somewhere else?) that the city was collecting and providing all these customer demographics for potential businesses to get them to open up shop. Please post a link if you read this, too, it's driving me crazy! Thanks in advance.

It's a program of the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) called Outer Space GR. Here's the website. I haven't looked through the data at all, but it all there if you click on Market Profiles.

http://www.outerspacegr.org/

Edited by fotoman311

• 2 weeks later...

I think he's talking about the downtown farmer's market, but I hadn't heard anything about a definitive location yet. Grand Action was supposed to be working on it.

They're still working on it, but they're not saying anything about locations. My impression is that they're not going to announce a location until it's a reality.

They're still working on it, but they're not saying anything about locations. My impression is that they're not going to announce a location until it's a reality.

Makes sense.

Feeling stupid that I didn't know there was a new Jimmy John's in the Brassworks Bldg. Am I the only one?

4115034887_766f4821f7.jpg

I know I'd heard something about it...maybe on the radio? I went by there the other day on my to 1120 Monroe. If/when the new hotel goes in, opening this here will look like a great idea. That's if they can stay open until then from the business they can draw up Monroe and the local residents and workers.

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but a new Jimmy John's looks just about ready to open on Monroe in the Brassworks building (north side of the building - ground floor). Seems a bit close to the one on Monroe Center, but I suppose that there are a lot of people that will find that location more convenient than dealing with the downtown spot. I think it will be a nice addition to the North Monroe area for sure.

On a personal note, I look out my office window directly at the new site, and it just makes me constantly want a #5 with banana peppers.

A couple posts up

Edited by JoeSchmo

• 2 months later...

It's crunch time this year for Schuler's downtown bookstore:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2010/01/how_important_is_a_downtown_bo.html

What do you guys think? There was a lot of support here for a downtown bookstore, but are we UPers enough? We stop in every Saturday after ice-skating, but we don't always buy books (coffee and hot chocolate).

It's crunch time this year for Schuler's downtown bookstore:

http://www.mlive.com...owntown_bo.html

What do you guys think? There was a lot of support here for a downtown bookstore, but are we UPers enough? We stop in every Saturday after ice-skating, but we don't always buy books (coffee and hot chocolate).

I hope there's enough to support it. I know I go out of my way to buy books (not distance-wise, but I buy more books than I normally would) there since I love having it downtown. Maybe if we all spread the word to support Schuler's and buy a few more books (which are always a good purchase) it'll help. I'm so glad Chris wrote the article now. I'm glad it wasn't an "if only you HAD supported it" article - I'm happy we can do something about it now.

Edited by mgreven

In my typical "ask a leading question" style exemplified on the BZA...

let the record show that this is the third year of the store's commitment to being DT. "Three years is up in October of this year."

Wasn't there another thread on here about spending $20 a week at a local business? (goes to look)

In my typical "ask a leading question" style exemplified on the BZA...

let the record show that this is the third year of the store's commitment to being DT. "Three years is up in October of this year."

Wasn't there another thread on here about spending $20 a week at a local business? (goes to look)

I don't think they're out of line.

The store was pretty clear when they opened that 3 years was their experiment.

I'm sure we're all hoping they stay, but I think it's a very fair question to ask "now that 3 years is almost up, how are you doing?"

I personally don't believe that an impassioned response to support particular businesses is sustainable long-term. It might create a temporary spike, but there has to be a good business model that consumers can latch on to. People fall back into easy, convenient, and more economical habits. No?

I personally don't believe that an impassioned response to support particular businesses is sustainable long-term. It might create a temporary spike, but there has to be a good business model that consumers can latch on to. People fall back into easy, convenient, and more economical habits. No?

+1. Suppose everyone does rally for a good year this year, it'll likely lead to another bad year the next. I stop by there quite a bit when I'm in town - probably bought more books there than any other store since it's opened - I'd love to see it stay, but I gotta face up to reality too. But how much is the economy playing into this - aren't book sales pretty much down in general? Also, there hasn't been much opportunity for additional retail store development over there, and I don't think Schuler's can stay there for long all by its lonesome.

And to be honest, when I'm there I feel like it's all about the cafe. It doesn't surprise me that that's where they're making their money.

Do they advertise to convention-goers, or other downtown hotel-dwellers? An out-of-towner with an afternoon to kill might be attracted to our bookstore/hangout nearby.

Edited by RegalTDP

...And to be honest, when I'm there I feel like it's all about the cafe. It doesn't surprise me that that's they're making their money.

Do they advertise to convention-goers, or other downtown hotel-dwellers? An out-of-towner with an afternoon to kill might be attracted to our bookstore/hangout nearby.

Markup on coffee is phenomenal, which is why there are so many coffee places.

Gotta love the MLive poster who claims to "not know" that there was a DT Schuler's. Lessee, it's on their print advertising, on their flyers (listing performers and special events), probably on their bookmarks...

I thought of that, too. Hopefully this will remind us to support our local businesses and if it keeps them going maybe there will be enough to sustain it in a few years. Maybe some will change their habits...who knows? I figure it can't hurt.

Markup on coffee is phenomenal, which is why there are so many coffee places.

Gotta love the MLive poster who claims to "not know" that there was a DT Schuler's. Lessee, it's on their print advertising, on their flyers (listing performers and special events), probably on their bookmarks...

I'll bet there are a lot of people who don't know there's a downtown Schuler's. We ran into friends of ours at the ice-skating rink once and said we were going to Schuler's afterward. Response: "There's a Schuler's downtown?"

I'll bet there are a lot of people who don't know there's a downtown Schuler's. We ran into friends of ours at the ice-skating rink once and said we were going to Schuler's afterward. Response: "There's a Schuler's downtown?"

It never fails to surprise me how little some people know about things in general. Particularly, places or current events. haha.

The woman who cut my wife's hair at Douglas J a couple of weeks ago heard Amy say something about Founders. Then she asked "What is Founders? The woman whose hair I just finished cutting works there." She had just recently turned 21, but by now, I like to think that most people in Grand Rapids are familiar with our largest and most famous microbrewery.

It never fails to surprise me how little some people know about things in general. Particularly, places or current events. haha.

The woman who cut my wife's hair at Douglas J a couple of weeks ago heard Amy say something about Founders. Then she asked "What is Founders? The woman whose hair I just finished cutting works there." She had just recently turned 21, but by now, I like to think that most people in Grand Rapids are familiar with our largest and most famous microbrewery.

I sure hope they sign on for another 2 years minimum. The fact the cafe is profitable during an awful recession speaks loudly, the fact that the bookstore has had to deal with a decline in book sales and an awful economy I hope they push for a longer stay.

I made my Christmas book purchases there and certainly hope that the business can grow organically and with new residents moving into the city, I hope the stay.