The State of Downtown Grand Rapids Retail

GRDadof3

I wouldn't say Commute's location was all that bad, really. It was right on a major thoroughfare, the Wednesday Night Ride groups met practically next door, and was in a neighbourhood where bicyclists are to be expected. My only issue with the place was that it was so small. With all those bikes in there, you had what felt like 5 square feet to stand/walk/shop/purchase in.

I think it will do well. As Josh noted, Nate knows a lot of people in the cycling community. I plan to check it out for gear and repairs, as I'm not that crazy about the bike shop near me (won't name names).

It's amazing walking past MoDiv now and having all the activity inside. And Haworth/Interphase and the bike shop haven't even opened yet.

Hopefully he'll have better success than Commute did. At least it's not on S Division.

Monroe Center is a great location. A bike shop would add some flair to that strip. I hope he puts displays out on the sidewalk (assuming it's permitted).

I particularly like the idea of a bike rental at that spot. My question is: Will there be surreys?

Meaning?? The two pedicab companies operate from other locations, picking up passengers from high-traffic spots.

Apples/oranges. Pedicabs are used by anyone who wants to get from one end of downtown to another. Bike rentals are used by out-of-towners for recreation.

Granted, I have no idea whether or not downtown gets enough tourist traffic to make bike rental a profitable venture. But I doubt Mr. Phelps intends to rely all his business on it, and I've love to see him try to make it work.

Apples/oranges. Pedicabs are used by anyone who wants to get from one end of downtown to another. Bike rentals are used by out-of-towners for recreation. Granted, I have no idea whether or not downtown gets enough tourist traffic to make bike rental a profitable venture. But I doubt Mr. Phelps intends to rely all his business on it, and I've love to see him try to make it work.

So what did you mean by "surreys"? That's not a term commonly used in bicycle rental.

Despite the economy, it really seems that Monroe Center is doing better now than it has in a very long time. How many vacancies are left on it?

The economy doesn't really have much to do with it. Rockford (and some select partners) decided to basically "give" their space away to budding retail entrepreneurs. I say "whatever it takes" at this point. I love it.

Vacancies are basically a handful of spaces.

• 3 months later...

RANT

Today I made my second-ever visit to that Rivertown Xings place. (Side note: my Downtown Development prof used a hypothetical burg called Rivertown.)

What a freakin' mess. The roadways are designed to use as much fuel as possible. Minimal directional signage on the outside; they want you to pick an anchor and then wander around.

All I wanted to do was return some teeny-bopper items to a junior store. I didn't want to diverge around balconies or gaze at murals depicting Small Town Grandville (like there's ever been a brass band parade at this place).

Of course, the (corporate) employees at the establishment were unable to help. "You have to use this register, that one is shut down. We can't issue a refund, only a store credit." (As if.) "But we are out of store credit forms. We just ran out this morning. Did you just want to hang onto the items until you come back?"

No, I want to return them ASAP. I do not want to come back. From the loud music broadcast outside the entrance to the food court, it's a plasticized Disneyland.

I could wring the neck of the clueless fellow who bought this junk for me, and I will not keep trying until they get their act together. (The store credit is getting sent to my mall rat niece, unless I become completely overwhelmed by this silly process and toss the stuff into a Good Will bin.)

In complete contrast, I spent a comfortable last night at Mocha 'n Music in Hudsonville. The owner was present, slinging caffiene in an apron. Folks were happily sharing tables and enjoying the music. No trailing light strings or gaudy decorations.

Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy going DT here because I always run into someone I know? That never happened in the D, nor Ann Arbor. We may never achieve a Magnificent Mile-style shopping experience here, but I would much rather buy my apparel at a place where I know the owner.

:whew:

Edited by Veloise

If I remember correctly, they called it "the Golden Arches" (maybe to give it some kind of cool street cred?).

That is cool about Kilwin's. Bad for my stomach, good for downtown.

Joe

Nope. Other side - where Paul Collins had a gallery for a little while.

Anybody remember when that space was McDonald's?

• 2 weeks later...